Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 Road King EFI - Advice Needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:00 AM
wharfcreek
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default '01 Road King EFI - Advice Needed!!

I'm looking for some 'tech' advice on the EFI system in my '01 Road King. I believe this is the Magnetti Marelli system.....but I'm not sure as I've not had any real experience with it. That's basically the issue; what are the "..... do's, don'ts, and any other advice on proper maintenance / adjustments." for making the system work properly.

As a quick 'background' on this, I just acquired this motorcycle. It's been 'sitting' for a couple years, and I did my best to get it up and running over the past few days. Being EFI, I couldn't simply drain the fuel tank in the conventional manner by simply disconnecting the fuel line and turning on the gas. But, I did try to siphon as much fuel from the tank as I could. I believe the fuel was pretty bad, but I diluted it out with 'good' gas. I probably had a gallon or so left in the bottom of the tank, and put about 3 1/2 gallons on 'new' gas in it. I added some fuel system cleaner and octane booster.....changed the plugs that were completely fouled, changed oil and filter, cleaned air filter and throttle body. It went from missing, back-firing, and no idle, to now running reasonably well.....but I think it's still got enough bad gas in it that this may affect it's performance until completely eliminated.

Anyway, I've been a 'carb' guy all my life......and I'm 67....to that's a lot of carbs!! While EFI has been around for a while, I've stayed away from it for the most part. I now have 3 EFI bikes, including a couple Ultra Classics with the Delphi system on them. I'm told this MM system isn't as desirable but still not bad if functioning properly. So, I'm just looking to get better acquainted with it, do any advised PM or 'updates'.....and then hopefully ride it some. So, any help here is appreciated. If you feel answering here is best...that's fine. Or, you can PM me if that's appropriate as well.

Many thanks, Tom D.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Next time drain it from the crossover hose at the steering neck.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

The biggest concern is the cam chest if it's never been looked at. Changing the filter would be a good idea but want to thank that year is hard to find, mine being like the evos. Checking the TPS is also a good idea . It's a really simple system that can run great but a lot give up on them for carbs at the first sign of trouble. The carbs can get better mpg. Mine when warmed up revs up great , I can get a flat spot when riding in the cold on my first couple of take off. I could tweek my power commander but don't want to make the mpg worse. Go burn that gas out of there and ride like the wind

Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by xcbullet
The biggest concern is the cam chest if it's never been looked at. Changing the filter would be a good idea but want to thank that year is hard to find, mine being like the evos. Checking the TPS is also a good idea . It's a really simple system that can run great but a lot give up on them for carbs at the first sign of trouble. The carbs can get better mpg. Mine when warmed up revs up great , I can get a flat spot when riding in the cold on my first couple of take off. I could tweek my power commander but don't want to make the mpg worse. Go burn that gas out of there and ride like the wind
I had a 99 Ultra that used the MM injection and other than finding parts it was a solid system. I added a PC3 to the system to help manage the mods later down the line and a ThunderHeader exhaust.

The biggest issue I ran into was the Cam Chest. There are plastic chain guides that when they wear out make a good amount of noise. I ended up putting new cams, oil plate, pump and etc in the bike since the labor was already basically paid for to remove and clean and repair anything worn. At the time my bike at 40k miles on it when they went out.

Other than that I spent some time picking up shocks from an 08 later bike, the headlight and a few other odds and ends. As stated above, put some injector cleaner in it and go out and ride.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:55 AM
wharfcreek
Cruiser

Should have thought of that cross-over. I guess it's been so long since I owned a bike that had one of those I never thought about that being a good place to drain the tank. I don't recall my '01 Fatboy have a cross-over under the tank either......but also been a decade since I messed with that.

If I keep the bike I'll inspect those cam chain tensioner blocks. On my '01 Fatboy I replaced the chain driven cams with a gear driven set from S&S. I still own that bike though I don't ride it much any more. But, I have put over 60,000 trouble free miles on it since the engine upgrade. I did the whole top-end upgrade; hi-lift cams, ported heads w/ bigger valves, converted from 88 to 95 cid w/ 10 to 1 compression ratio, flat slide carb, D&D 2 into 1 exhaust, Twintec Ignition module, light weight push rods, blah blah blah. My only regret is not buying a 6-speed trans as all that extra HP and Torque would have been better used with a 6th gear on the highway. But, I guess my point here is that I'm familiar with the 'problem' with those cam chain tensioners, and if I do keep the bike, I WILL address them!!

Back to the EFI system though......do either of you have any advice as to any specific issues that should be targeted; ie use of any specific fuel additives, changing injectors to something more reliable, doing any 'flashes'? On that last issue, is it even possible to address the 'tuning' on the MM system.....or add an after-market 'tuner' to it.....or are you just stuck with the factory settings? I have an '05 Ultra Classic and that Delphi system has a HD 'Race Tuner' on it.....though it's still 'open loop' and by my evaluation still a rather 'antiquated' system. My '07 Ultra has the same Delphi system, but it's a 'closed loop' system with O2 sensors in the exhaust pipes. It also has outboard tuner on it, the early Vance HInes 'FuelPak'.....which was not on it when I purchased it. I bought that system 'used' off the Facebook Marketplace web site.......contacted VH and provided them with my bike's set-up, and they provided me with a 'settings map' that I installed on the tuner. I have to say, it made a world of difference!!! The '07 now runs beautifully.....on a 1500 mile trip I got nearly 50 mpg and ran without a glitch. My only 'bitch' was that bike's gearing....which I've now addressed to some degree by changing the rear pulley from a 66T to a 68T, and I have a front trans pulley to install yet this spring to go from a 32T to a 30T None of these changes require changing the drive belt....plus they restore the more desirable final drive ratio that HD screwed up with the change to the 96 CID motor in '07.

Anyway.....I appreciate the comments......and for the $15 in fuel costs, I may just detach the cross-over and drain the tank again from there and add more 'fresh' fuel. Even if wasting the additives....still probably a good 'investment' in making sure it's running right!

Many thanks, Tom D.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My 02 Roadking pictured below in my sig has EFI. I've owned the bike since new and not had any issues with the EFI ever. I've ridden that bike all over the US. I will never go back to carbs. My only suggestion other than what's been posted already would be to get a tuner (computer) so you can dial in the fuel mix better. Really does help alot.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,223 Posts

I have a 2000 TC88 with the MM EFI, and while I have read all the grumblings about it, it works just fine. I just installed S&S 509 cams, swapped the 18 year old Power Commander II for the Power Commander V. The PC V was purchase from Fuel Moto with a canned tune that Fuel Moto dialed in for my pipes/cams/intake, then I recalibrated the MM EFI as described in this thread - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...libration.html

It was good before, and even better now. My EFI calibration settings were off by a bunch, and all of the above made a pretty significant difference.

Last edited by 702; 03-21-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:07 PM
Grand HDF Member

Old 03-21-2019, 03:18 PM
wharfcreek
Cruiser

OK, stuff in that thread looks promising. I wish to hell the guy had posted a few pics of where and what he was doing. The mention of voltage checks on the TPS seems pretty simple, but that thread states two different wires as being 'probed'; either a purple or gray. Also, I assume this is a voltage test between that wire and frame ground? Would be nice if that was clarified. Also the issue of taking a voltage at 'idle' and at 'cold idle'...??? I couldn't tell if that was making a mechanical 'twist' to a part, or actually making one adjustment when the bike was bone-cold, and then warming it up and making a second adjustment. I'll re-read it a few more times, as well as go looking for any You-Tube vids on the subject as the thread suggests. In any event, this is making progress.

One other thing: Someone posts in that thread about digging out some sealant on some 'hidden screws' and making some additional adjustments there by simply adjusting those screws much like an idle air or idle fuel screw jet adjustment. Anyone know anything more about that?

TSD

Old 03-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Grand HDF Member

Here you go, I'm sure this will make it much clearer.

Quick Reply: '01 Road King EFI - Advice Needed!!