Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire age - new tires

Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tire age - new tires

I'm replacing the tires on my 09 SG. Once again going with Dunlop American Elite that I purchased from Dennis Kirk. The replacements arrived yesterday. The rear is pretty young: manufactured in late November 2018. But the front is already a year old: manufactured in March 2018. What you all think? Should I return the front for a newer tire? Is a year old too old for a "new" tire at first install?

Thanks

Edit: So I found this article answering my own question: https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/fres...-really-matter (Prolly should have gone to googles before HDforum, but this gives us a chance to have this discussion while so many of us are changing tires for spring.) This source says the real issue for new tires is how were they stored pre-sale. Cool, out of sun is key. I trust DK has smart storage and so I'm thinking my brand new year-old tire is fine.

Last edited by jefla; 03-22-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I guess it depends on how quick you go through them. It wouldn't bother me as I ride a lot and the tire hasn't seen much to degrade the compound yet. If they are tires that you are going to have on the bike for 3 seasons or more then I might return it.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Tyres have a service life of at least 6 years, once fitted. Some manufacturers have recommendations about this on their websites, so try checking there. I would have no problems with the tyres you have, that's about normal IMHO.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned, it is a new tire! We may over think this a bit, I inspect my tires for weather cracks, abnormal wear and damage routinely. If it passes the inspection, I roll with it

I had a national auto dealer that would not repair a tire on my wife's car because it was 5 years old. It was a Michelin with half the tread on it. No weather cracks or abnormal wear, she just caught a nail. I could have plugged it, but don't like doing that. I was pissed to say the least. Have you to purchase 2 18 inch Michelin's lately? It was expensive

Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by DonnieM
I had a national auto dealer that would not repair a tire on my wife's car because it was 5 years old. It was a Michelin with half the tread on it. No weather cracks or abnormal wear, she just caught a nail. I could have plugged it, but don't like doing that. I was pissed to say the least. Have you to purchase 2 18 inch Michelin's lately? It was expensive
I've had a similar experience! Depends on whereabouts the puncture is and may also depend on local regulations. We can't get a repair near the edge of the tread, close to the sidewall.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:27 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about it. I think it’s time in the sun and on the road that really ages a tire. I don’t think a year on a storage shelf is a problem.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM
jefla
Road Master

Thank you all. I'm using the tire.

DonnieM grumbled about tire prices. Yeah man. How about this madness. I use handmade Continentals on my bicycles. Kevlar bands and other magical materials, 26" x 1.25." Featherweight. ~ $70 each. Worth every penny, IMHO.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've had a similar experience! Depends on whereabouts the puncture is and may also depend on local regulations. We can't get a repair near the edge of the tread, close to the sidewall.
It was in the center of the tread with half the tread left. No abnormal wear or weather cracking at all. The big bytch was that I had to replace 2 tires that had life because they were manufactured over 5 years ago and they wouldn't repair it. IMO it is a money maker to them because of their policy. You can buy used tires all day around here (not that I would do that either)

Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,818 Likes on 817 Posts

My question is....where did you find someone to mount a tire that you didn't buy from them?.....none of the dealers or "indys" in my area will mount a tire that you didn't purchase from them. NONE.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:23 PM
jefla
Road Master

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
My question is....where did you find someone to mount a tire that you didn't buy from them?.....none of the dealers or "indys" in my area will mount a tire that you didn't purchase from them. NONE.
I've forgotten how lucky I am to be friends with the guy that owns a very nearby Exxon. He lets me drop ship from Tire Rack then does the install. Gonna drop off a bottle of bourbon for the heck of it.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (03-22-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire age - new tires