Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody here tour with Type 2 diabetes?

Old 04-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anybody here tour with Type 2 diabetes?

Hi folks - hoping to get some advice touring with some of my diabetes medication. I will be riding with Run For The Wall in May. I'll be on the road for 18 or 19 days. I've been diabetic for a while & have done road trips with my oral meds before. But recently my medication changed & added one that includes a once-a-week injection. The injection is from a single use injection pen - use it & toss it.

The issue: they must be refrigerated. They're supposed to be good for about a week or so at room temps, but that doesn't include in a saddlebag or Tour-Pak in desert heat. If I do an injection the morning I leave, I'll need to pack 2 pens for the balance of the trip.

They aren't very big. I know I could grab a lunch-sized cooler & pack it with ice every day, but space being at a premium I'm hoping to come up with a smaller solution. I'm thinking maybe a quality insulated vacuum bottle (Yeti?) that would hold 2 pens.

Anyone that has dealt with this or has a suggestion, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Bad-Dog
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi I use one of these Frio Cooling Wallet to keep my insulin cool when touring, what i like about it is use tap water to cool and takes up very little room when packing

Old 04-07-2019, 07:06 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

what about something that plugs into bike?

Old 04-07-2019, 08:01 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,342 Posts

I am type II. I have to carry insulin with me. I have a HD saddle bag cooler, the smaller one. So on the right side, I have my rain gear, gloves, sunglasses, 45ACP and my cooler with my Insulin. The left side is for clothes as is the bag I put on the back seat. I have taken an 18 day trip like this and several 15 day trips, I do laundry once.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad-Dog
Hi I use one of these Frio Cooling Wallet to keep my insulin cool when touring, what i like about it is use tap water to cool and takes up very little room when packing
Thanks Bad-Dog - I got excited when I saw these! But the web site says it keeps the insulin to room temps or a couple of degrees lower; my pens have to be refrigerated.

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
what about something that plugs into bike?
I've looked, but I can't really find anything that's the right size. Still looking though - if you have anything in mind please let me know! I have a 12VDC outlet in my Tour-Pak.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:49 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to tour, not have a heart attack, lower your A1c,
Instead of posting in here, go to YouTube listen to keto diets, you will throw all of that poison in the trash
I'm here not to bash you, I'm here to save your life, Keto diets, how many times to I have to explain.
I'm not a diabetic, but lost lots of weight, exercise regularly. YOU can beat this, it's beatable,
Then go ride your tail off in the sunset without any worries!
God Bless and good luck!

Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,262 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by davidw221
Instead of posting in here, go to YouTube listen to keto diets, you will throw all of that poison in the trash
I'm here not to bash you, I'm here to save your life, Keto diets, how many times to I have to explain.
I'm not a diabetic, but lost lots of weight, exercise regularly. YOU can beat this, it's beatable,
God Bless and good luck!
Couple of years ago my A1C was 10. I changed my diet and had it down to 5 in about 7 months. Granted I haven't held fast to my diet. But now I know it can be done.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:22 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

I have toured and adjusted my traveling with my Type 1 Diabetes. I use a small insulated, soft side lunch box. I can squeeze it down if needed. I stay in hotels that have small refrigerators in them to keep my cold backs cold. Don't panic about your insulin getting to room temperatures. I have never had issues in 35 years of having this disease and touring.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:42 AM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm type 2. Dropped 30 Lbs and counting. Heavy exercise at least every 2nd day. Walk use the stairs. Do some moderate wts. at home on gym off days. Eat very carefully. Avoid anything white; no white bread (better no bread at all), no potatoes, no refined carbs (bye bye pasta), reduce salt, avoid sugar (start reading the food labels when shopping). Only white is limited intake of dairy. Some yogurt is okay but get the high fat plain (no sugar) the zero fat is sugared up and is no good. Eat your vegetables especially the cruciferous varieties. Limit carrots (they are high in sugar). No fruit or very little (dried fruit is not your friend). Fruit juice is poison. Legumes limit the intake. Fish is your friend, chicken okay, red meat (moderation) is good. Most nuts are good. No junk food, no ice-cream, no candy. Limit dessert to zero sugar types. Salads good but limit the dressing to oil and vinegar. Booze of any kind is poison. Eat your big mac, ditch the bun and the ketchup. No french fries ever.

I find that the carbs (especially the refined white ones) are addictive and you will have 3 miserable weeks dumping that garbage.

Doc threatened me with insulin so I made a radical life style change about a year ago. Someone mentioned KETO, I think that diet will help.

I am now down to 2 metformins a day and dropped all other meds with A1C less than 7. Doc only put me on the metformins because I fell off the wagon a little when we went on a 19 day cruise (gained 1 Lb).

Ditching the belly and upping the muscle mass adds insulin receptors to your body. You will also begin to feel much better and more energetic. It does require a disciplined life style and you must keep the wt. off. It will take months to start to see good results but it is a worthy sacrifice.

Last edited by miner999r; 04-08-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:04 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by davidw221
God Bless and good luck!
The man asked about how to carry his meds and keep them cool. He didn't ask about diets or need to be told about getting on them. His doctor will take care of him, thank you..not you gearheads. Plus, NO diet is going to help when his ride is in MAY!! Geez, do you knotheads know how to read? Apparently NOT, since you missed that date info.

What do you not understand about "staying on subject" ?

The following 3 users liked this post by GOV5:
95hdtlk (04-20-2019), LJLKRL05 (04-09-2019), sped (04-08-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody here tour with Type 2 diabetes?