Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start after changing Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 09:32 PM
atv4x4
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start after changing Handlebars

I have a 2011 electra limited all stock, and decided to change the handlebars. I know i made a lot of errors in doing this, so this is what i did and what has happened. i changed the bars with the battery connected. i first took off the throttle grip and brake then clutch cable and heated grips, and radio, then took out the ignition switch, i did not move the other wires they are still like factory, but while taking the ignition switch out i turned it to on by accident. I put new bars on and put everything back and now i have security light on solid after a couple of flashes and have code u1040 and no rsp that i can not reset, i have my security code but cant get to that screen because my security has locked my turn signal buttons so they do not work. my bike i think is saying its stolen, neither turn signal works but alarm can activate them all. any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

According to Google that code is an ABS error. The suggestion was to replace the ABS fuse. Good luck bro.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:12 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by atv4x4
I have a 2011 electra limited all stock, and decided to change the handlebars. I know i made a lot of errors in doing this, so this is what i did and what has happened. i changed the bars with the battery connected. i first took off the throttle grip and brake then clutch cable and heated grips, and radio, then took out the ignition switch, i did not move the other wires they are still like factory, but while taking the ignition switch out i turned it to on by accident. I put new bars on and put everything back and now i have security light on solid after a couple of flashes and have code u1040 and no rsp that i can not reset, i have my security code but cant get to that screen because my security has locked my turn signal buttons so they do not work. my bike i think is saying its stolen, neither turn signal works but alarm can activate them all. any help would be very much appreciated.
Oh boy, where to begin. But before I go into a long breakdown I need to make sure you're serious, hence first post and no "I'm new to the forum" type of info.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual and the Electrical Diagnostic Manual for your model bike?

Old 04-10-2019, 06:25 AM
atv4x4
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nutsandbolts5212
Oh boy, where to begin. But before I go into a long breakdown I need to make sure you're serious, hence first post and no "I'm new to the forum" type of info.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual and the Electrical Diagnostic Manual for your model bike?

Yes i do have service manual

Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

i listened to a podcast about positivity this morning so ill start the day off right lol. The good news is you will figure this out. Itll be something easy and dumb. We all make errors, I know i did when I did my bars. I had to set them down and walk away a few times when I was trying to internally run the wires. You will now know wtf not to do in the future as you will at some point change bars again lol

The following 2 users liked this post by decencyxdefied:
bigpappa160 (04-11-2019), Sethc1020 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:46 AM
atv4x4
1st Gear

i need all the positivity i can get, trying to figure this out.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:26 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

I'm all about the positivity!! OK, first things first, two major errors; not disconnecting the negative side of battery or pulling main fuse and messing with the ignition tumblers/turning on by accident.

SO first things first: Battery charged and reading above 12.75 volts? Check all fuses? All connectors connected from the work you did?

Next, follow this and have a pen and paper ready: https://dgcustomcycle.com/tech/harle...es-04-present/ Go through each phase, you may have to do this 2 or 3 times to make sure, (I do)

Let's start with that and go from there, the ABS U1040 code could be as simple as the fuse. Also, you could have messed up the ignition tumblers and they are not in line. You can either attempt on your own to line them up using the ignition switch or purchase the Harley tool to line them up, your call.

I'll check back in a few hours, not sure if you work or not.

Ride safe!!

Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Sounds to me as if your tumblers are out of sync in you ignition switch.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Remember, it's tough to diagnose/troubleshoot just based on information and not having the bike actually present, so try and be as accurate as possible in explaining what you have done or are doing.

I'm not trying to be tough on you, I know you're frustrated already, I'm just trying to help you out.

Ride safe!

Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 AM
atv4x4
1st Gear

my light fuse was blown. but thanks

Quick Reply: No start after changing Handlebars