Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Lithium Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Anti-Gravity ATX 12-24

Due to a difficult to start 124 M8, I chose a lithium battery due to the high Cranking amps, but not the Harley Battery. I went with the Antigravity ATX 12-24 pictured. This is not one of their restart batteries and I will explain why I didn’t go that way for my specific application. At the point of purchase, I ordered the square battery terminals for a few bucks, which you need for the Harley touring bikes. The 12-24 is the same size as the Harley Lithium Battery. So, I ordered the caddy from Harley to sit the battery in for 13 bucks. The caddy allows you to sit the battery in the battery tray snugly and still have some room to tuck cables from accessories. This battery packs 720 Cranking amps and starts my bike better than the factory battery ever did.

Because of the Displacement of my engine I was advised not to get the re-Start battery from Anti-Gravity which comes in OEM size. With larger engines you run the risk of frying the connection between the batteries Control module on the restart batteries and the Battery itself, rendering the battery useless.

Living in New York, where temperatures drop pretty low in the winter, I was also told to get a Lithium battery maintainer that would stay ahead of the parasitic draw of the Stock Touring security system and accessories like led strip lighting, which constantly draw on your system searching for the remote fob if you don’t have a hard-wired cutoff switch for the lights and rely solely on a fob to turn the lights on an off. For this, I chose the Optimate 5 amp Lithium maintainer. It has a lot of features that will help to maintain your battery year-round, even when temps drop below a certain point (around 34F), where Lithium batteries go dormant. The Optimate has a temp sensor and will adjust its charge based on ambient temps. I would definitely recommend this combo.

Pictured is the 12-24, sitting in the Harley touring Caddy.

Last edited by Vision; 04-23-2019 at 10:39 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Vision:
hattitude (04-23-2019), lightweight bob (04-29-2019), RedRider0151 (05-08-2019), Sin! (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:20 AM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

I purchased a new AGM battery last year, but the battery technology seems to finally be making significant improvements, especially where costs are concerned.

for those in the market for a new battery, this one (with a local 15% or 25% discount) seems like a pretty good option - basically the same price as an AGM battery - for our touring bikes.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ithium+battery

Old 04-23-2019, 06:30 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

deleted.... late to the party

Last edited by skratch; 04-23-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:16 PM
bakron1
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

My local dealer service manager said he sold 4 of the new lithium batteries and all four where returned. A lot has to do with having to turning the bike on for 20 seconds to wake up the battery and then doing a cold start.

I am a a tech person and even though the battery technology is really moving forward, I am just going to get the Harley AGM battery and wait until these new batteries have proven themselves in the field.

I am not going to be somewhere out in the sticks and have an issue with starting my bike because of a battery. I have always put a Harley branded one in my motorcycle and haven’t had one issue, so I will stick with what works.

Last edited by bakron1; 04-27-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Sledman
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lithium battery in both my KTM 990 and my dirt bike. Will I put one in one of my Harley’s or anything else....no. You cannot go long term without a charge as advertised, they are supposed to be charged with a “special” lithium battery charger, and if the weather is cool or cold you either have to turn on functions that put a drain on the battery for up to 10 minutes to warm it up....or if cold enough you may have to jump start. They work in some situations, but certainly not in all and they are a pain in the ***. Certainly over marketed. The weight reduction percentage wise in a Street Glide is minuscule.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:37 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Lithium batteries

Two years ago my godson's MotoAmerica spec 2016 Yamaha R1M had an old tech WPS lithium ion polymer battery explode
on the track and catch fire. New tech Lithium Iron Phosphate / LiFePo / LIP / do not have that problem but you can't buy them
for $100 either. Additionally, if you do get a LIP battery get a charger designed for it rather than ruin it. Links below -

Racers choice - USA made - unconventional connections - best you can buy imo -
https://www.amazon.com/Speedcell-Legacy-7-5Ah-Baja-Battery/dp/B01MCUMAP0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=393FFKX4Q43RTRTQKFGQ https://www.amazon.com/Speedcell-Legacy-7-5Ah-Baja-Battery/dp/B01MCUMAP0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=393FFKX4Q43RTRTQKFGQ

Factory Ducati, KTM, Kawasaki - numerous conventional sizes - HD bagger here - https://shopping.shadetreepowersport...nce-hjtx30q-fp

Lithium battery step charger -
https://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Optimate-Lithium-TM-471-Charger-Tester-maintainer/dp/B00Y38X7WI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1D4U1T8AV22SY&keywords=optimate+lithium+battery+charger&qid=1556434680&s=gateway&sprefix=optimate+%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Optimate-Lithium-TM-471-Charger-Tester-maintainer/dp/B00Y38X7WI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1D4U1T8AV22SY&keywords=optimate+lithium+battery+charger&qid=1556434680&s=gateway&sprefix=optimate+%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-3

Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 AM
Sin!
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledman
I have a lithium battery in both my KTM 990 and my dirt bike. Will I put one in one of my Harley’s or anything else....no. You cannot go long term without a charge as advertised, they are supposed to be charged with a “special” lithium battery charger, and if the weather is cool or cold you either have to turn on functions that put a drain on the battery for up to 10 minutes to warm it up....or if cold enough you may have to jump start. They work in some situations, but certainly not in all and they are a pain in the ***. Certainly over marketed. The weight reduction percentage wise in a Street Glide is minuscule.
Your right that you can't go long term without charging these batteries. They are supposed to go up to a year and still start your bike. Keep in mind that driving your bike will charge them. I did purchase a LiPro balance Charger and plan on balance charging mine next spring before the riding season starts. We'll see how that all works out. Started my Bike the other day when it was 25F didn't prewarm the battery.
It started no problem. I wonder at what point we're supposed to warm up these batteries by leaving the lilghts on. I've read 20 sec lights on, a few sec. off and then start. Doesn't really sound like a problem
to me. That's probably as cold as I want to ride anyway,
I've been checking the battery before and after each ride with my multimeter and will monitor it over the winter. So far its working for me. Turns over the motor with more force than
any lead battery I've had.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:05 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I purchased a Harley one about a week ago because I had dealer promo $$$ and money from my Harley credit card... and because my old battery I could tell was starting to slow down.. It turns a stock Harley 103 touring bike like nothing. But most new batteries do that so we'll see if that continues over time. I'm in Florida so I doubt I will run into any cold weather issues. So far I am happy.. hopefully it will last 4 years or so when I will probably be looking at a new bike anyway.

The other advantage is I just lost like 15lbs.. because it only weighs like 3 lbs.. so maybe now the Doctor will get off my back!