Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Motorcycle lift storage when not riding (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1279715-motorcycle-lift-storage-when-not-riding.html)

M4i2k2e2 04-15-2019 07:47 PM

Motorcycle lift storage when not riding

I ride my street glide about once a week or so. When not in use is it a good idea to put it on the lift to take the weight off the suspension and what not. I currently do this over the inter and between rides. is it worth the risk of it being off the ground and on the lift? Trying to avoid premature wear on components and flat spot on the tires. It’s easy to throw it on the lift but was curious. Anyone do this? Thanks for any input.

dawg 04-15-2019 08:01 PM

Mine goes on a lift only when I need to lift it for maintenance. I either park it on the garage floor or on the table lift. Haven’t noticed any flat spots or undue stress on components.

Rogue1 04-15-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by M4i2k2e2 (Post 18186208)
I ride my street glide about once a week or so. When not in use is it a good idea to put it on the lift to take the weight off the suspension and what not. I currently do this over the inter and between rides. is it worth the risk of it being off the ground and on the lift? Trying to avoid premature wear on components and flat spot on the tires. It’s easy to throw it on the lift but was curious. Anyone do this? Thanks for any input.

What? How delicate do you think that bike is?

internet troll 04-15-2019 08:30 PM

It takes MONTHS to get flat spots in tires. Being that I live in upstate NY, my Corvette and motorcycles sit unmoved in excess of 6 months at a time.
There NO reason for you to put your bike on a lift for any reason other than maint or cleaning. Dont worry about wearing out suspension parts.

Jjpmach1 04-15-2019 08:56 PM

Fight those OCD tendencies! LOL. I suffer from the same. They’re on lifts and hooked to battery tenders 100% of the time.

Brewmany 04-15-2019 09:23 PM

I keep my bike on the jack because it is much easier to move the bike around the garage.

hbsoldier3 04-15-2019 09:36 PM

If you put it on a lift to avoid premature stress on components, i.e. tires, then someone will say you are putting premature stress on the suspension components. When HD dealers start parking the bikes in the air I will do the same.

Teardrop 04-15-2019 10:00 PM

They haven't made nylon tires for years. I really don't think tires get flat spots any more. I had some health issues for the last 2 years and have just started riding again in the last month or 2. All I did was change the battery, fluids and checked the tires for cracking and off I went. No issues with the bike sitting for 2 years.

Shanebo 04-15-2019 10:41 PM

Ride more.

TwiZted Biker 04-15-2019 10:50 PM

Seriously over thinking this bud............ Do you put your car up on jacks when you don't drive it ?