Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fixed calipers and floating rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:26 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

On the right side of axle there is a hole that you can stick a 5/8 drill bit in. Loosen bottom axle clamp and pull fork out to touch drill bit, tighten clamp, check for clearance.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:51 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,248 Likes on 812 Posts

I suspect you'll find the lack of clearance is the same on both sides, indicating the wheel is sitting offset. Not sure if the spacers are the same size on this year bike, but they weren't the same on previous years. The difference was small, but the clearance was small too.

The spacers do ride against the bearings. So if the bearings are not properly pressed in, this could also offset the wheel.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:59 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never heard of a floating caliper. Like I said I don't want to disassemble anything just so that I can State my case that nothing has been done and the issue is on the parts or the install that they did. They really have nothing to argue about except for the front rim being from another bike other than that all they did was install tires. I just went out there again as I have several times, because every time I go out there I either see something else that can help my case or I think of a different way to word it to the shop to show that the air is on them. With the way it's rubbing on the caliper itself I don't see how in the hell they installed it easily. It would seem like it would be I talked to cram everything together if something was out of alignment

Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Just for ***** and giggles couldn't they take the bearings out of my stock rim and put them on to this rim?

I was wrong in my earlier post about where it is rubbing. After a little further inspection it is rubbing on the outside of the brake side rotor and inside of the clutch side.

proof that everything is a shifted over

Old 04-17-2019, 05:17 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bundy43
On the right side of axle there is a hole that you can stick a 5/8 drill bit in. Loosen bottom axle clamp and pull fork out to touch drill bit, tighten clamp, check for clearance.
I agree but think it is a 7/16 drill.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 AM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 222 Likes on 162 Posts

Did the guy perhaps press the bearings in wrong? Primary side bearing in first, all the way against the rim. Opposite side in to just touching the spacer. Valve stem is on the 'opposite' side.

He can say whatever he wants, but I installed a 18" airstrike wheel on my last 08 bike with no hassle.

The following 2 users liked this post by caulk04:
08xl1200r (04-16-2021), Campy Roadie (04-29-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:01 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts

I was wrong in my earlier post about where it is rubbing. After a little further inspection it is rubbing on the outside of the brake side rotor and inside of the clutch side.
I think you found your problem. It sounds like it is shifted to the left side, so it could be spacers, or the bearing depth.

Then the tech came in and said I habe the bastered year 08.
I always laugh at these comments. What is so difficult for people to grasp with a 08? It has the bigger tank, newer seat mount, brembo brakes and newer axle dimensions. All of which is very confusing to some "techs".

He can say whatever he wants, but I installed a 18" airstrike wheel on my last 08 bike with no hassle.
Agreed! I've replaced my front wheel twice with zero issues. Both times I got a new take off rim and tire for the price of just a tire.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:14 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks to all of you for confirming what I thought. I didn't have a lot of time to talk with him yesterday because I had to get home to get my daughter off the bus. It's probably a good thing because I go straight from being rational do are rational really quick and I don't want to be a dick and then him not try to remedy the situation. Today I plan on printing out a part numbers for 07, 08, and 11 just for further proof as well as a picture of the old style caliper versus a Brembo. I should have a chance to go up there today and chat with him for about half an hour I will get back to this after that conversation and let you all know what was decided

Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

If you pull the primary side bearing on your stock wheel I'll bet you find a bearing spacer behind the bearing. That's what's missing in this install. That spacer will shift your wheel to the right and stop the rubbing.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

damnit Bates old man to the rescue lol,, i took the stock rim home with me and the bearings are all intact still.. I bet they just removed the abs stuff and installed the new bearings without the spacer..I might just leave work early to go up there and talk to them.

Quick Reply: fixed calipers and floating rotors