Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my 2013 FLHRC, sad to say

Old 04-17-2019, 11:49 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Selling my 2013 FLHRC, sad to say

Sorry, its a long post...

Ever since I bought my first bike in 1980 (leftover 1978 Honda Hawk cb400a) I’ve wanted a Harley in the worst way. It took 30 years and a few more Suzuki GS850 and Vx800 in between but on my 50th birthday I bought the last year of the 2013 Road King Classic model. It has been a fantastic ride, it has power, 6 speeds, nostalgic trim, and chews up a curvy road leaving dynas and other riders of lesser skill way in the distance. Unfortunately significant health issues have taken their toll. Last year I was hospitalized in July, parts of August and September. I could not ride at all between June 2018 and now, I was weak enough that the hospital wanted me to be discharged to a rehab facility but I refused. I have not and dont expect to reach my prior levels of strength and endurance so I’ll need 3 wheels going forward, and conversion options aren’t within reach either so a radical change is planned.

What is the best market site to show the bike? According to KBB a dealer would pay around $10,000 and a private sale maybe $13,000 or a bit higher. Have people had good success through Craigslist? Cycle trader? Ebay? Or others?

i don’t need the max price possible but I don’t want to simply give it away either. I can afford to fund my next modest purchase with cash on hand so long as I sell this bike shortly thereafter to recover a reasonable portion of the outlay. I’m not sure a good price to ask, a lot of bikes even 1-2 years older than mine with higher miles are lusting $12-13k. That would be great but if I could sell in 30 days at $11-11,5 k that might be better for peace of mind,

if anyone has suggestions on a sale price, where to list it, whether to include things like the leather tour pack or sell it seperately I would appreciate your thoughts.

oh, the bike is in Bath County Ky, about 1hour east of Man o War Harley Davidson where I purchased the bike new in April 2013.. All required service and tires have been through the dealer except for some slip ons and a few LED brake/running type lights.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:32 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

The quick and easy way is to see if your dealer will sell it on consignment. My friend sold his bike that way. They took ten percent, but they got more than he ever would.

Most private sellers seem to ask around retail, when they should be asking around good trade in value. This is a good time of year to sell, so get moving. I think it’s easier to sell the tour pack with the bike, although you might get more separately if you found the right buyer.
Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:55 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by KYBill
Sorry, its a long post...

Ever since I bought my first bike in 1980 (leftover 1978 Honda Hawk cb400a) I’ve wanted a Harley in the worst way. It took 30 years and a few more Suzuki GS850 and Vx800 in between but on my 50th birthday I bought the last year of the 2013 Road King Classic model. It has been a fantastic ride, it has power, 6 speeds, nostalgic trim, and chews up a curvy road leaving dynas and other riders of lesser skill way in the distance. Unfortunately significant health issues have taken their toll. Last year I was hospitalized in July, parts of August and September. I could not ride at all between June 2018 and now, I was weak enough that the hospital wanted me to be discharged to a rehab facility but I refused. I have not and dont expect to reach my prior levels of strength and endurance so I’ll need 3 wheels going forward, and conversion options aren’t within reach either so a radical change is planned.

What is the best market site to show the bike? According to KBB a dealer would pay around $10,000 and a private sale maybe $13,000 or a bit higher. Have people had good success through Craigslist? Cycle trader? Ebay? Or others?

i don’t need the max price possible but I don’t want to simply give it away either. I can afford to fund my next modest purchase with cash on hand so long as I sell this bike shortly thereafter to recover a reasonable portion of the outlay. I’m not sure a good price to ask, a lot of bikes even 1-2 years older than mine with higher miles are lusting $12-13k. That would be great but if I could sell in 30 days at $11-11,5 k that might be better for peace of mind,

if anyone has suggestions on a sale price, where to list it, whether to include things like the leather tour pack or sell it seperately I would appreciate your thoughts.

oh, the bike is in Bath County Ky, about 1hour east of Man o War Harley Davidson where I purchased the bike new in April 2013.. All required service and tires have been through the dealer except for some slip ons and a few LED brake/running type lights.
Well, first of all, LISTING prices tell you nothing at all about the REAL value of your bike. What you need is SELLING prices of bikes like yours. Listing and selling prices can be THOUSANDS of dollars different. The reason behind this is that everyone thinks their bike is worth WAY more than it really is. SO factor that in.

Next, find an accurate source for pricing. Ask your local bank to give you the Black Book pricing. That is the BOOK that dealers and Banks use. KBB is not anywhere close to REAL market conditions. And I don't think NADA is either. Consignment selling might help. But keep in mind the dealership is trying to sell NEW bikes before they try to push yours.

Selling a bike personally is a PITA, but if you can do it you can get the maximum value back out of your bike. BUT, it takes a LOT of patience to deal with prospective buyers, and the sorting out of qualified and honest buyers from the con artists out there.

Ebay used to have a section on the motorcycle listings that listed the SOLD prices. Check there and see if it's still on EBAY. THat would be one place to see what like bikes are selling at. Whatever you do, I'm wishing you good luck.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Road King classics in good condition usually sell better than most HD's because they don't come up that often. Try Craigs List and cycle trader.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Explain your situation to your Dealer and see what they say.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Why not see if you can get your bike lowered, which will make it much easier to lift? Or swap for a Softail?

Never buy or sell used to a dealer, including consignment. You will take it sans lubricant. I have had very good luck with Craigs; both buying & selling. No test rides unless cash in hand first. Accept NOTHING but cash for payment.

When the time comes that I can no longer handle my ride, I will go for a convertible 'Vette. Not into the trike thing at all. Maybe a Can-Am, but that's about it.

Last edited by dickey; 04-18-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:24 AM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Never really thought about the dealer consignment option, guess that could work but not sure it would net much to me. Seem to be some mixed feelings on that.

i agree re listing prices, will look into the ebay or bank option to see if I can find sold prices. Ultimately its the sold pricing that best represents what the market will bear. Kentucky is very much a Harley market so that may help.

i could probably lower the bike if I switched back to stock seat and got rid of my airhawk pad but the other issue is insufficient leg strength to lift the bike should it topple. Has happened to me twice over the years at a stop, and was not difficult to raise the bike using the techniques shown on you tube but now I can barely step up one stair carrying a 10 lb bag of groceries, so not a risk I want tomtake. Also, occasionally have some vertigo when standing and lose balance so its not only a strength issue though be hard to tip a bike when moving.

i need to take some pictures highlighting the bike and upgrades, then list it asap. Having just sold a house I know that if I get the price right I should receive offers fairly quickly now that the weather is right for riding.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM
subgunner
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you do an "advanced" search on Ebay you can filter for sold listings and see actual sale prices. This is a good time of year to sell and Ebay could work for you IF you make a compelling listing. That means great pictures and in depth description. Sold two bikes on Ebay that way, a Harley and a BMW, but been doing Ebay sales a long time.

NADA will be more realistic than KBB for starters. Your local newspaper classified or Craig's list would be my first choice over CycleTrader.

Dealer consignment sales can take most of the hassle out of it. The dealer can offer financing and warranties to get top dollar. They would likely have the bike listed on their website and use other sales tools. New and used buyers are two different animals so one does not affect the other as far as the salesman is concerned.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,806 Likes on 1,432 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Harley...ctcNV&LH_BIN=1

Get $11k for your bike, then add $7k and your back in the saddle again! And I’m sure there are more & maybe better deals out there.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Best of luck to you.
If you decide to sell it yourself, just prepare yourself now for an array of BS that folks may present to you.
BTW - Have you considered a trade in for a trike?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Selling my 2013 FLHRC, sad to say