Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Buy it !!!
Yes
73.47%
No
26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Rebuild Electra glide 1984 worth it

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 05:06 AM
fatchoppers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rebuild Electra glide 1984 worth it

Good morning all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1984 Electraglide from a friend for $1000 and deciding is it worth my money, So please chime in your thoughts. Although im not a mechanic i have experience wrenching and do my own work on my bikes.

heres what i know

1984 1340
5speed with Super B carb
needs tranny rebuild
motor was running but bike sat in a shed for 15 years
i really dont want to split cases
needs paint and lots of powder coating
needs tires
would prob do upper motor rebuild
my goal would be to ride the bike if i like it........ or sell it .........but of course im not looking to put 10000 into a bike thats worth 5000

feel free to give your opinions

bottom line is 1000 bucks really a deal

Old 04-19-2019, 05:39 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 2,505 Posts

For a grand I would just for the project, The shovelhead gyus will tell you what your up against, these guys really know their stuff.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead-62/

rk classic.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 AM
fatchoppers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_Classic
For a grand I would just for the project, The shovelhead gyus will tell you what your up against, these guys really know their stuff.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead-62/

rk classic.
its an Evo not a shovel by the way. But I’d love to hear from the shovel guys too!

Old 04-19-2019, 06:45 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

Its not a deal unless you can do most all the work yourself. It sounds like a money pit to me. Maybe buy it and part it out.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I'm just finishing a shovel project, get to that In a minute. I like old bikes and this is a little history. In Michigan winters let you do these rebuild things. I do all my own work like I do on all my bikes. I have an 89 Ultra I found in a barn and bought cheap. Changed all fluids, brakes and did the top end, carb and primary. Cosmetically is a good bike and is now my daily rider after all that. Was a good find!

Second bike is a 96 Springer softail I found tied down to a table in a dark garage. Primary fix (leaking), tires, carb and a complete front end rebuild. Being tied down dimpled the neck bearings so a complete front end job. The unknown for me was rebuilding the Springer front end itself, but an education. The PO had also cut all the wiring ahead of the tank to the headlight and controls. What a tideous bitch that was. Soldier and shrink tube. Bike cosmetically was and is perfect. I ride it regularly.

My point is, any bike that sets is work and may become expensive to renovate! All 3 of my bikes are finds and "setters". I'm just finishing an 81 Shovel that sat for many years. A bike that does this (like this one) can be a Pandora's box to include the bikes I mentioned above. Not to mention frustrating! Get a factory service manual! Be prepared to spend some time making things right, especially if you are going to sell. If you like projects, and can do your own work, go for it, but it's time and money. Parts (cosmetic) for the bike you are looking at are available but, finding them can be a challenge, and cost can be another issue. (swap meets) Be prepared for surprises as you go. Things to look at b4 you buy..in the tank for rust. Carb Will need a rebuild, (don't even try to start until tank is clean, new fuel line and carb rebuild). Tires will need replacing, replace brakes and all fluids. Primary rebuild, probably top end? Clutch? Battery, mouse eat wiring? Foolish POs can cost you money to. That's the beginning. Oil leaks will be your friend in a setting bike. But you can run them down and fix them. There is more but like I said, that's the beginning. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Tell me where it's at,I'll buy it, and in a few months I'll let you know if you should have bought it or not! Just thinking about the "Baggah" thread-guy buys a filthy old barn find,cleans it up,and practically has a show bike now!

Old 04-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I would buy but it all depends on your plan. It would be tough to make any money on it after spending what's needed to make it running and roadworthy. You could probably make more than a grand parting it out I'd be willing to guess.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

how many miles are on it? my 85 has over 100,000 on it and it runs great. it smokes some at start up but it runs so nice I'm afraid to have anyone touch the motor for a rebuild.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

how much can you afford to restore it?

how much can you afford to lose if you had to sell it for less than what you own it for all in?

You could be into that bike for another 5 grand on top of the purchase price easily, assuming you can do the work yourself

The following users liked this post:
1 2 many (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Only you can answer this question. Too many questions related to what you like, what you like to do and how much money you have to do it.
When I retire next year my first project is going to be finding a project bike. Why? Because I love to work on them and I will have some time to do that once I retire. The new house we are building down in TN already has a workshop area built in to work on bikes. I won't be doing it to resell or make money, it will be a hobby. What type of bike will I get? Not sure yet, but I will start looking and if something I like comes up that is what I will buy for the project. So, it's really up to you. As far as price, $1000 doesn't sound like a bad price for a project bike as long as the frame is straight and no cracks.

Oh, and I will be looking for a bike with an EVO, I have worked on the newer twin enough. EVO will be something different.

The following users liked this post:
1 2 many (04-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Rebuild Electra glide 1984 worth it