Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded cam plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 PM
1canvas
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Upgraded cam plate

I have an 01 RK and thinking of upgrading the spring tensioner to hydraulic. Using the HD upgrade kit do I need anything else? I didn’t think I did but I read one spot that said I need to change the chains to roller chais.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:51 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,382 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 1canvas
I have an 01 RK and thinking of upgrading the spring tensioner to hydraulic. Using the HD upgrade kit do I need anything else? I didn’t think I did but I read one spot that said I need to change the chains to roller chais.
If you are talking about the Screamin' Eagle cam plate upgrade kit (Part N0. 25284-11), it will provide all you need, except maybe a cam cover gasket, I've never used one. You will need to transfer the OEM cam plate bearings from your old plate to the new plate. The instructions suggest using a specific HD tool (Part No. 94085-09) for that job.

The "issue" with that Screamin' Eagle upgrade kit is that it uses your OEM, old-style cams. While both cam tensioners are changed over to the newer hydraulic cam tensioners, only the front cam chain is switched over to the newer o-ring chain. You will still be using your OEM link chain on the cams. Many believe the link style, "silent chain" is also one of the contributors to the early demise of the spring tensioner pads...

If you are talking about changing your cam plate over to the '07+ style cam plate, you will need to buy all the specific parts (there isn't a kit available) that will include both new style roller chains, but you will also need to change out your cams to conversion cams... they fit the newer style cam plate, the older size inner cam bearings, and have sprockets for the newer o-ring chain.

Last edited by hattitude; 04-27-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:59 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

In my opinion, it is not an upgrade since it leaves the inner link chain. This always rubs. The outer one will be a roller chain. It grooves in and then rolls and never wears then. About 10 years, in hot climates, the shoe can get hard.

The only way to go full roller chains is to change the cams. Hardly worth it on an 01. Cost wise, never worth it. My 04 still has originial linkchain and shoes. 50K on clock.

Replace the shoes with OEM. Check in 20-30 K for the next reference. Couple hundred. No brainer

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-27-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:16 PM
1canvas
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
In my opinion, it is not an upgrade since it leaves the inner link chain. This always rubs. The outer one will be a roller chain. It grooves in and then rolls and never wears then. About 10 years, in hot climates, the shoe can get hard.

The only way to go full roller chains is to change the cams. Hardly worth it on an 01. Cost wise, never worth it. My 04 still has originial linkchain and shoes. 50K on clock.

Replace the shoes with OEM. Check in 20-30 K for the next reference. Couple hundred. No brainer
From every thing I have read I think I might just change out the shoes.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:23 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,382 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 1canvas
From every thing I have read I think I might just change out the shoes.
Many have done that with good results.....

May I suggest you look into using Cyco brand shoes.... they seem to be higher quality and last longer than the OEM Harley shoes...

Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 PM
mfalbo1978
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your bike is fuel injected if I remember from doing my 2001 Ultra that you won’t be able to use the roller chain and sprockets in the SE kit because the large sprocket doesn’t have an exciter in it for the cam sensor on 2001 EFI bikes. I had to reuse the original setup. There is a lot of opinion on using the older link chains and how much they play a part in the shoe wear. My feelings on the main factor in the shoe wear is the material and the fact that the spring style had a constant max or high tension on the chain because nothing varied for demand on chain tension so it was always putting a lot of tension even at idle. The hydraulic setup varies pressure with oil pressure so it’a Not always hammering the shoes into the chain under low RPM’s. That’s just my worthless 2 cents though lol.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:12 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

The economical and simplest fix is to replace the shoes and the inner cam bearings while your in there. Ride and enjoy. Check the shoe wear in another 30,000 miles.