Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bitubo 13” shock review

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 AM
Stickman53
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
my sag is about 7/8 of an inch. I’m no expert but 6 additional turns of preload sounds like you are making them fairly stiff.
If you read my original post I did mention that when I went looking for big bumps I got them to bottom. Actually they were big dips where the back tire fell in then had to come back out. Under normal imperfections they were sweet.
Hey Streetruner: I took your advice and backed off the preload 2 turns. Felt alot better on the subsequent check ride. Looks like I will be adjusting the preload for solo vs 2 up with TP configuration. Do you use a spanner wrench for the preload ring nut? I've been doing it by hand but a spanner sure would make it easier.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:56 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Its been about 6 weeks now since ive added my chrome 13" bitubo twin adjustable's to my bobber. All I can say is its hands down an improvement over the stock. Love the new height, handling and smoothness. I havent done any experimenting as far as trying different settings or even noting sag or any of that. I can see im definitely not bottoming out all the time like I did w the stock shocks. I might be wrong about this but as far as I understand it, there is a break-in type period. So I figured I would get some mileage on it before experimenting w the different settings Just to add I had mine set up for firm/agressive riding.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:01 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickman53
Hey Streetruner: I took your advice and backed off the preload 2 turns. Felt alot better on the subsequent check ride. Looks like I will be adjusting the preload for solo vs 2 up with TP configuration. Do you use a spanner wrench for the preload ring nut? I've been doing it by hand but a spanner sure would make it easier.
use the spanned wrench that comes with the shocks.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillySoldier
Its been about 6 weeks now since ive added my chrome 13" bitubo twin adjustable's to my bobber. All I can say is its hands down an improvement over the stock. Love the new height, handling and smoothness. I havent done any experimenting as far as trying different settings or even noting sag or any of that. I can see im definitely not bottoming out all the time like I did w the stock shocks. I might be wrong about this but as far as I understand it, there is a break-in type period. So I figured I would get some mileage on it before experimenting w the different settings Just to add I had mine set up for firm/agressive riding.
im not sure I buy into the break-in period for shocks. I think they are what they are out of the box.
If anything I think your butt breaks into the shock. Lol

Old 04-30-2019, 10:07 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

im not sure I buy into the break-in period for shocks. I think they are what they are out of the box.
If anything I think your butt breaks into the shock. Lol
Ya could be right... Either way I dont have any major reasons to mess w the settings at the moment. Im happy w the firmer settings they preloaded.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:31 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

how much do u weigh and do u ride solo?
i weigh 217 and there are only about three threads showing on the top on the preload adjustment. I ride solo most of the time.
Sounds like not much preload if you have the same springs. I have about 1/2 inch of thread showing.

My sag is set to the Bitubo spec. I don't have the manual handy, but its what they called for.

I too bought from DK. Mine were set pretty close when they arrived and felt much better on the road than the stock shocks. I decided to go through the procedure to adjust the sag...just because it was available. With the sag adjusted to spec. the ride improved nicely. I suggest you all go through the procedure. It's easy and it does make a difference.

I ended up changing the rebound to 2 to smooth out the ride and things have been perfect since. Rebound effects how fast the shocks react to changes.

I'm about 220 and ride solo most of the time. I like the ride firm, but compliant.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:20 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
firm, but compliant.
Good woman right there!

Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

just curios if you know. Whats the stock shock length for a 2015 ultra Limited?

Old 05-01-2019, 03:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunchboxx
just curios if you know. Whats the stock shock length for a 2015 ultra Limited?
Ultra Limited: Factory 13" air shocks
Ultra Limited Low: Factory 12" HD Premium Hand Adjustable

Old 05-02-2019, 08:09 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I'm 250 and my Road King is set up for solo only. So not only is it much lighter than my Limited, I have made even lighter with a solo seat and removing the passenger floor boards and luggage rack/backrest as well. Only thing in the saddle bags is rain gear and occasionally my laptop. I just walked out to the garage and checked, I have about three of four threads left as well. I like a Cadillac type ride as I strictly use the bike to commute and it's almost all straight interstate the whole way. 75 miles round trip each day. My idea of soft a ride is probably way too soft for others. I'm not tearing up any curves or riding aggressively. I haven't messed with the rebound yet. It's still on 3. I'm curious to see how it does in the morning.
thanks for this feedback. My situation is exactly like yours - 250lbs, mostly interstate, ride solo and need Cadillac type ride due to hip arthritis. Can you remind me of your specific shocks and setup please. I have Progressive 944 HD and need to replace them since I have lost lots of weight and the HD shocks are too stiff for me know.

Last edited by rnl_1200C; 05-02-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Bitubo 13” shock review