Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help painting my inner fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:37 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
geez.... sounds like my grandma is now on the forum......... fyi grandma.... its a Harley upgrade to get the inner fairing painted ... all specials and cvo s are painted from the factory...
There is always one child in the group...anyway, all your juvenile insults aside, why would you assume that I haven't been on a HD showroom or rally or HOG event in the last few years and didn't know about upgrades?

I can tell that you do not pay attention to things and do not know why instrument panels, even the one in your car/truck, are traditionally bland flat colors and not usually bright glossy colors by the way you make fun of the reason and how it came about. Why do you think that the standard is flat black and all cars/trucks have flat bland color instrument panels? Do you think it is because HD or Ford or Chevy or Dodge are too cheap to overcharge you for a pint of gloss paint or glossy plastic? Old people know things that young people might learn if they STFU and listen sometimes.

And, I am glad your rides are always perfect and the sun never reflects off your instruments or handlebars or windshield and spot blinds you when you are dealing with some serious traffic. Function over form. I do not prefer the glossy finishes for function but I do appreciate the sharp look.

The following users liked this post:
BelchFire (05-10-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Grandmaaaaa!!!! You have GOT to stop wondering around and posting super serious replies on the Harley forums!!!!
Well, yes. I understand you are easily upset and can’t take jokes. I know, I know, you think they are being mean, but they are probably just robbing you. Besides, sometimes you have to laugh at yourself a little because life is funny.

Okay. Well the next time you don’t like it when they tease you, just unsubscribe from the thread so you don’t have to see it!

Good! I feel better too! Now go back to bed. You don’t want to be late for your podiatrist appointment in the morning....

INJEKTER (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:53 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
Grandmaaaaa!!!! You have GOT to stop wondering around and posting super serious replies on the Harley forums!!!!
Well, yes. I understand you are easily upset and can’t take jokes. I know, I know, you think they are being mean, but they are probably just robbing you. Besides, sometimes you have to laugh at yourself a little because life is funny.

Okay. Well the next time you don’t like it when they tease you, just unsubscribe from the thread so you don’t have to see it!

Good! I feel better too! Now go back to bed. You don’t want to be late for your podiatrist appointment in the morning....
hahahaha..... it just keeps comin.......... congrats on the painter......always handy to have a source.... other stuff will no doubt come up

Old 04-29-2019, 04:02 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skinman13
There is always one child in the group...anyway, all your juvenile insults aside, why would you assume that I haven't been on a HD showroom or rally or HOG event in the last few years and didn't know about upgrades?

I can tell that you do not pay attention to things and do not know why instrument panels, even the one in your car/truck, are traditionally bland flat colors and not usually bright glossy colors by the way you make fun of the reason and how it came about. Why do you think that the standard is flat black and all cars/trucks have flat bland color instrument panels? Do you think it is because HD or Ford or Chevy or Dodge are too cheap to overcharge you for a pint of gloss paint or glossy plastic? Old people know things that young people might learn if they STFU and listen sometimes.

And, I am glad your rides are always perfect and the sun never reflects off your instruments or handlebars or windshield and spot blinds you when you are dealing with some serious traffic. Function over form. I do not prefer the glossy finishes for function but I do appreciate the sharp look.
haha, yea im just a young whipper snapper of 56, i love the history lesson, makes great sense, very practical.... but you are assuming we care about that,,,,the OP just wanted to find out about painting the inner fairing, not a history of why Boeing uses flat gray on their dashes.... .... and we are just messing around, joking......... so.... Skin man.... is that a **** name?

Old 04-29-2019, 05:17 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
haha, yea im just a young whipper snapper of 56, i love the history lesson, makes great sense, very practical.... but you are assuming we care about that,,,,the OP just wanted to find out about painting the inner fairing, not a history of why Boeing uses flat gray on their dashes.... .... and we are just messing around, joking......... so.... Skin man.... is that a **** name?
i think it’s short for thin skin man...

INJEKTER (04-29-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 05:22 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Default Update

I dropped off the inner fairing with the painter today. I brought the outer fairing as well, so that he could use it as a reference if needed for color.

I also took him the bottom switchplate that the ignition goes up through.
He seemed to be extremely confident that he could match the color. Seemed like it was no big deal, buisiness as usual for him. He asked what finish I wanted, whether hi-gloss like a new bikes paint, or if I wanted it more flat or matte because some people like that. I told him just like the paint on the outer fairing. He said no problem.

So so I feel good about it.

Either way it’ll look better than it did, and for $150 I don’t think I can complain.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

i think it’s short for thin skin man...
haha, no it is the call name that I was tagged with in the Navy...

It seems I was mistaken when I thought some of you might want to know why instrument panels are flat bland colors and not normally matched with the bike's finish. I guess it is pretty clear that some of you guys are not participating here to share knowledge and find it entertaining to harass folks who are. And, I do have a habit of calling folks out for their rude behavior. I guess it is the adult in me wanting to correct the misbehaving children among us.

Peace, out.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skinman13
haha, no it is the call name that I was tagged with in the Navy...

It seems I was mistaken when I thought some of you might want to know why instrument panels are flat bland colors and not normally matched with the bike's finish. I guess it is pretty clear that some of you guys are not participating here to share knowledge and find it entertaining to harass folks who are. And, I do have a habit of calling folks out for their rude behavior. I guess it is the adult in me wanting to correct the misbehaving children among us.

Peace, out.
hahaha... wow... first.. thank you for your service Skinman..... and just to be clear,,,,, The op wanted to paint his inner fairing....... nowhere in his original post was he asking for advise on the does and dont's of astronautical dash painting.... but .. you persist and want to make everyone out that doesnt see it your was either a child or a " bad guy"...... you need to get out more son... have a great time....

Old 05-02-2019, 11:07 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Hello all,

I would like to get the inner fairing of my Ultra painted to improve the look of the bike. The color of the bike is Rich SUNGLO Blue/Chopper Blue. I believe the darker of the two blues is Chopper Blue.

Im not super picky. The bike is almost 15 years old and has 50K miles on it, so I’m sure a brand new paint job on the inner fairing would be a hell of a lot glossier than the rest of the bike due to the age of the paint. So I’m not looking to match perfect.

I just want want to make it look better. It’s a blue bike. A blue inner fairing would look badass. Does anyone know of any resources or places I can look into for this that aren’t crazy expensive? I plan to ask a few local shops if they can do it. I think I can still obtain that paint from Harley. From what I’ve heard Harley uses a certain system to paint their parts and having a non-Harley paint shop try to paint something will not turn out right. I don’t know if that is true or not.

Ive seen some bikes that have what looks like a painted trim peice that covers everything except the outsides of the inner fairing. My buddy had one that was wood grain looking and it went really well with his maroon colored bike. I haven’t been able to find anything g like that at all though.

Like Insaid, I just wanna improve the look and would like to get it painted. Any help would be great. Thanks. I’ll post some pictures of my bike.

Our local bike week has vendors do same day exchange, but your blue might be a special order color....Yes, it would look badass....Good luck....
Pix of the not so special black!!!

Old 05-02-2019, 03:04 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

Painter sent me this picture. Ready to pick up tomorrow. Looks pretty good to me. Can’t wait to see it on the bike.

INJEKTER (05-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Help painting my inner fairing