Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help painting my inner fairing

Old 04-28-2019, 04:41 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Help painting my inner fairing

Hello all,

I would like to get the inner fairing of my Ultra painted to improve the look of the bike. The color of the bike is Rich SUNGLO Blue/Chopper Blue. I believe the darker of the two blues is Chopper Blue.

Im not super picky. The bike is almost 15 years old and has 50K miles on it, so I’m sure a brand new paint job on the inner fairing would be a hell of a lot glossier than the rest of the bike due to the age of the paint. So I’m not looking to match perfect.

I just want want to make it look better. It’s a blue bike. A blue inner fairing would look badass. Does anyone know of any resources or places I can look into for this that aren’t crazy expensive? I plan to ask a few local shops if they can do it. I think I can still obtain that paint from Harley. From what I’ve heard Harley uses a certain system to paint their parts and having a non-Harley paint shop try to paint something will not turn out right. I don’t know if that is true or not.

Ive seen some bikes that have what looks like a painted trim peice that covers everything except the outsides of the inner fairing. My buddy had one that was wood grain looking and it went really well with his maroon colored bike. I haven’t been able to find anything g like that at all though.

Like Insaid, I just wanna improve the look and would like to get it painted. Any help would be great. Thanks. I’ll post some pictures of my bike.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,703 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by dawg:
BelchFire (05-10-2019), DanHappy (05-02-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 05:40 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Had a local custom car painter repaint a damaged front fender. He sourced harley colors from his paint supplier, it was expensive at about $45/pint but the paint match was exact. As for the quality, compared to the old fender he actually did a better job than the factory. It was noticable in several places. The fender is a two tone (black cherry pearl and pewter pearl) with a 3rd color painted pin stripe and cost me $250.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:37 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I just noticed this sticky from above if your up for it

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ep-w-pics.html

WP

Old 04-28-2019, 09:56 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
A blue inner fairing would look badass.
..... i 2nd Fairing Exchange

Old 04-29-2019, 07:08 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Just to help push you over the ledge. My buddies Pacific Blue Pearl. Help painting my inner fairing-photo621.jpg

Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Glossy bright colors may look real good, but how will it ride if you are headed east on a bright sunny day? Are you going to get blinded by the light reflecting off the instrument panel? I know that even the chrome bezel trim on my instruments can be a problem at times. One of the reasons for flat paint on the fairing is to reduce reflected glare which can be a safety issue and increase eye fatigue. Flat black, grey, beige, or light blue are common instrument panel colors in airplanes meant to address this hazard. I do not remember if it is FAA mandated, but I do not recall seeing very many gloss finishes.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:37 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

any local paint shop can do this, or find a good custom painter local... id think $200 should be about all it should cost...

Old 04-29-2019, 10:39 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Glossy bright colors may look real good, but how will it ride if you are headed east on a bright sunny day? Are you going to get blinded by the light reflecting off the instrument panel? I know that even the chrome bezel trim on my instruments can be a problem at times. One of the reasons for flat paint on the fairing is to reduce reflected glare which can be a safety issue and increase eye fatigue. Flat black, grey, beige, or light blue are common instrument panel colors in airplanes meant to address this hazard. I do not remember if it is FAA mandated, but I do not recall seeing very many gloss finishes.
geez.... sounds like my grandma is now on the forum......... fyi grandma.... its a Harley upgrade to get the inner fairing painted ... all specials and cvo s are painted from the factory...

Last edited by INJEKTER; 04-29-2019 at 10:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by INJEKTER:
DanHappy (05-02-2019), Jaftica (04-30-2019), Sethc1020 (05-07-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:27 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
geez.... sounds like my grandma is now on the forum......... fyi grandma.... its a Harley upgrade to get the inner fairing painted ... all specials and cvo s are painted from the factory...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah. Thanks for bumming everybody out.... hahaha

The following 2 users liked this post by CookUltraClassic:
INJEKTER (04-29-2019), Sethc1020 (05-07-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help painting my inner fairing