Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Ticking after Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 04:03 AM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Help with Ticking after Install

I recently installed the Baker Compensator, Attitude Adjuster and Barnett Extra Plate Clutch Kit. Install was straight forward and no issues were encountered during. Had to remove the clutch shell/assy to install the Baker products as suggested. Performance is great; but, I have one issue that was not there prior to the install.

When the bike is at operating temp (30+ mins riding) and the trans in neutral, with the clutch disengaged, there is a ticking sound coming from the trans. When the clutch is engaged, the sound goes away. The sound is coming from the right side. Thought it was my tappets/lifters; but, I verified it is coming from behind the trans cover. It does not make this sound after start-up and takes about 30 mins before it does.

I opened the primary and all looks good. No shavings, correct chain tension, and the starter gear and ring gear on the clutch shell show no abnormal wear. Also verified the clutch shell and pack is not loose. Drained the trans, and no shavings there either. I emailed Barnett and Baker. Barnett said to look at the clutch pushrod where it goes into the slave cylinder or the bearing in the pressure plate. I have never removed the trans cover. What am I looking for? Waiting on a reply from Baker.

The bike is a 2014 FLHTK with hydraulic clutch. Any thoughts and ideas on what is causing this and how to resolve the ticking would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

I think I would call Baker to see what they said about it.

The following users liked this post:
touchdown (05-02-2019)