Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air ride vs ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 08:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
Thanks for the info. I ride 90% solo and 10% with my wife. She has a very bad back so she doesn't ride often. What really made me go to the air ride is I am only 5'4" and a 29 inseam so reach has always been an issue. It just really surprises me that nobody can do an air ride with a quality valved shock.
There was a Canadian company a few years ago who designed an air system from scratch, so that it did have good quality damping. It included a lot of features typical of a custom air system, made great claims for ride quality, but was also expensive. It promised a lot but doesn't seem to have survived for long.

I used Fournales high pressure air shocks for several years, but while better than stock shocks they didn't cope well with a fully loaded bike. Air can only function as a spring, hence offset the total weight of the bike when ready to roll. The one feature missing from most if not all air systems is good damping, or adjustable damping. I now use Ohlins #3-3 shocks, which have separated gas/oil and adjustable damping. In the last year or so there are other good quality brands, at long last, but what makes Ohlins stand out is the quality of their damping.

Last edited by grbrown; 05-05-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:06 AM
Drtumolo
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I know most air systems lack on quality dampening but was wondering about Legend, Arnott and the Dirty air aluminum touring. They all seem to be higher quality.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by ratpick
At your weight, I'd definitely go with a shock from vendor that will install custom rate springs for you--especially if you mostly ride solo. Don't know of any air ride options in that regard since it's just air pressure... To be fair I'm quite a bit heavier than you but my experience might still be helpful. I had a Triumph R3 in another lifetime, which had absolutely god awful factory shocks (you think Harley isn't good...) and I installed some Works Performance (now defunct, unfortunately) shocks with a low rate spring and they were heavenly--super plush but still good non-sloppy or -bouncy feel--as long as I didn't have a passenger, at which point they just didn't have enough oomph and would bottom out too often. I ended up having them re-sprung (free service!) so I could more easily take passenger, but as little as I rode 2 up I always regretted doing that--they were SO nice to ride solo.

Everyone's favorite Ohlin's vendor on here (see above) will take your weight into account when springing shocks (I have some of his I like)--I don't know if solo at 125 lbs is within operating range of his lighter springs but would certainly be worth a call at motorcyclemetal.com Also DK custom's Bitubo shocks recently had a good review on here and I believe they set up shocks for your weight--not sure how many spring options they have but might be worth checking w/them as well. Those just two I know of--sure there's more.
Years ago I had Works Performance make some custom shocks, spoke to the man who made them, and they were well made, and performed as intended. Sad to hear they are not around. Did they sell out, become folded into another company, or just evaporate?

At 125lbs you'll need something built. I wish Works was still around to recommend.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:45 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dehammer
Years ago I had Works Performance make some custom shocks, spoke to the man who made them, and they were well made, and performed as intended. Sad to hear they are not around. Did they sell out, become folded into another company, or just evaporate?

At 125lbs you'll need something built. I wish Works was still around to recommend.
Read or heard somewhere that owner who'd founded the company died, and family tried to keep it going but things shortly fell apart. Sorry just rumor, but I know they haven't been around for a while.

Not sure who I spoke to when I called them years back, but I think that guy'd probably forgotten more than most people know about suspension and he was the first to fill me in on sag, damping settings and importance of rebound damping, and how perception doesn't always match what people think is going on. Works also had a front fork cartridge for HD touring well before I saw anything by progressive or Ohlin (aside from custom front ends by MM). I still vaguely remember the guy's comments on HD front suspension: something to the effect of "just like Harleys have been forever; undersprung and overdamped," and I've wondered every time I see claims about the benefits of heavier fork oil--but who know, maybe he didn't always know what he was talking about

Old 05-06-2019, 11:21 AM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

hit the Gym and put on some weight!!!!!

Seriously I'm more than happy with my JNR Air Ride with the monroe shocks. I'm about 175#

Old 05-25-2019, 12:43 PM
Drtumolo
Road Captain

So nobody has found an air ride with a good ride? I am still thinking about the dirty air aluminum touring shocks.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member

So nobody has found an air ride with a good ride? I am still thinking about the dirty air aluminum touring shocks.
From what I've seen, most if not all available air ride systems are made up from components intended for other applications (although I may be wrong!). When compared with shocks designed and made as motorcycle shocks, tuned to suit our Harleys, I doubt if they are competitive. That does depend, of course, on what use you have in mind for your bike. I've owned my Glide since before I met and married my wife - solo it was OK with the stock air shocks, but it was quite another matter, when touring 2-up. With your wife's bad back you really should consider quality branded shocks IMHO - not cheap, but they should transform your combined riding experience.

Last edited by grbrown; 05-26-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I would agree with the above statement..

Old 05-26-2019, 07:32 AM
Drtumolo
Road Captain

I am also looking at howards #6 shocks. I just REALLY like being able to adjust shock with a push of the button but need a better ride. #6's seem like the ultimate ride available though.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

I am also looking at howards #6 shocks. I just REALLY like being able to adjust shock with a push of the button but need a better ride. #6's seem like the ultimate ride available though.
Those #6 Ohlins (or similar models) can be fitted with 'mechactronic' controls, however I suspect at quite some extra cost! Don't confuse convenience (of a cheap air system) with the comfort and benefits of a truly high quality ride. Your wife's comfort is far more important than a little inconvenience of adjusting them 'just so'. I have Howard's #3-3 and have established a single setting for solo and 2-up, which you may also be able to do if you go down that route.

Remote controlled Ohlins shocks:

TTX 36 EC

Quick Reply: Air ride vs ohlins