Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 road king vs 13,14 street glide?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Double Duece
Senior Rider
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 02 road king vs 13,14 street glide?

I love my 02 road king, carbureted, with fairing, but I have had it since 2010. Im starting to get newer bike envy, 6 gal, 6 speed, 103. Is the 02 a better bike or is the newer 13 or 14 model better. Can someone explain the pros and cons of upgrading thanks?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM
jory434
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

A post '09 model frame is a better bike from everything I have heard.

The '14 models and later are "Rushmore" bikes. 49 mm forks, different fairings and radios, wheels, saddlebags, and prob a lot more little things I dont think of.

I own a '13, and have ridden multiple '14 and later bikes. Not enough difference in the ride or handling to make me want one. My '13 has been a great bike.

If I were in the market, I would look for an 09 or newer bike, and find the best deal for me personally.

If I were you I'd keep the '02 and just add a bike to the garage. The only con I can see with your situation is paying for another bike.

The following users liked this post:
Double Duece (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:53 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago. I've owned my 02 EFI RK (shown below in my sig) since new and I absolutely love it, it's been a great bike, but I wanted to get into something newer and loved the SG. I wanted to keep the RK but would I ever ride it after having a newer bike? I didn't want it to just sit around rotting, but at the same time I couldn't stand the thought of letting it go. Well, after hearing what the local dealer would do on a trade, I decided to keep my RK and buy the SG from a private seller. I can tell you without any doubt, that was the best decision for me. Like I said, I feared my RK would sit idle in the garage while I road the SG all the time. That has not been the case. I can actually tell you that I ride both almost equally. They are 2 very different bikes. When I want old school loud and proud, I hop on my RK. When I want fast and nimble, along with tunes, I grab the SG. Couldn't be happier that I decided to keep both. That's my advice. Find a way to keep the RK.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:46 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago. I've owned my 02 EFI RK (shown below in my sig) since new and I absolutely love it, it's been a great bike, but I wanted to get into something newer and loved the SG. I wanted to keep the RK but would I ever ride it after having a newer bike? I didn't want it to just sit around rotting, but at the same time I couldn't stand the thought of letting it go. Well, after hearing what the local dealer would do on a trade, I decided to keep my RK and buy the SG from a private seller. I can tell you without any doubt, that was the best decision for me. Like I said, I feared my RK would sit idle in the garage while I road the SG all the time. That has not been the case. I can actually tell you that I ride both almost equally. They are 2 very different bikes. When I want old school loud and proud, I hop on my RK. When I want fast and nimble, along with tunes, I grab the SG. Couldn't be happier that I decided to keep both. That's my advice. Find a way to keep the RK.
Great advice, I have my 09 RKC as well, it was paid for and why part with it when the dealer was gonna give me only $8k for it on a trade in. I got my 16 EGU and ride both.

Ride safe!

Old 05-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Double Duece
Senior Rider
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the replyís! I will be keeping the RK! Just need to be sure about the SG. Does the 103 have that seat of the pants get you feel Iím looking for? The 88 is fine just not peppy enough and is maxed out at 95 mph! Plus I only get about 140 miles to a tank, and Iím always looking for another gear.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:07 AM
todd-67
Elite HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 309 Posts

I am in a similar situation to the pied piper. I have a built 107 in my 2010 road king and have an unmolested 2017 street glide. The road king is way more fun to ride on the weekends and the Street glide is more of a longer distance touring bike for me anyway.

I would see if you can get a dealer to let you test ride a late model 103. I had a 2016 Road King for a while. The pre-rushmore 103's were not all that impressive. The Rushmore 103 HO's have a better cam in them and are much more peppy. The updates of the Rushmore's are nice but not a true deal breaker. I don't know what street glides go for down where you are at but up here they are a pretty hot item.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:15 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Duece View Post
Thanks for the replyís! I will be keeping the RK! Just need to be sure about the SG. Does the 103 have that seat of the pants get you feel Iím looking for? The 88 is fine just not peppy enough and is maxed out at 95 mph! Plus I only get about 140 miles to a tank, and Iím always looking for another gear.
coming from the 88 of the RK, the 103 is plenty enough for me, at least right now. I can't imagine what a 114 feels like. I have never really been into the speed thing, so I'm very happy with the 103.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:52 AM
2much2do49
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Certainly a lot of information out there on improvements to the newer bikes, as other have chimed in. At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to what your looking for, your cash flow, and the amount of riding you do. I've had an 01 RK since new (October 2000), and have made various upgrades along the way to make it function better for me (longer brake pedal, big bore kit to 95", hydraulic cam chains), and have wondered if it wouldn't have been better to just buy something newer versus dumping thousands of dollars into the bike. However, I love the color of my bike and feel attached to it, having had it so long. Its not let me down.

Having never ridden one of the newer bikes I can't speak for what I may be missing out on. Like you I get horrible gas mileage (the same 140 miles and hitting reserve), but at my age I can't justify the expense of a new bike considering how much riding I do.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2019, 12:08 PM
FNGonaRK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,637 Likes on 942 Posts

I traded a 02 Road King Classic in on a new 2015 SGS in 2015. Ironically, I bought my Road King in 2010 too. It was the best thing I’ve ever done. I loved my Road King, but the SGS is a better bike all around. I put Yaffe 12” Monkey Bars on it, Ohlins 30mm cartridges in the front, Pro Action rears and it just rides out.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:30 PM
foxtrapper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 270 Likes on 197 Posts

In the end, go ride some and see how they actually feel...to you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: