Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a new(to me) bike! Fuel question

Old 05-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Midnite13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a new(to me) bike! Fuel question

Hey all I had up till a year ago had a 2012 FLHR till I lost a fight with a car, now I have a 1998 FLHR was wondering when it should be switching to reserve, It has a CV carb. And I pulled in the other day around 185miles and it took 4.7gal and had yet to start sputtering to switch over. Any info helps thanks.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:02 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 455 Likes on 248 Posts

I recommend that you do it shortly after you hit 185 miles.

The following users liked this post:
Midnite13 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 1,997 Posts

Arr you sure you were running off the main to begin with? You'd think there'd be a half gallon or more in reserve. Hopefully dawg will answer this...that guy will know how much reserve it should have.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:12 PM
ridingout
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 173 Posts

every bike I've had with a reserve, I would fill it and run it down until it started to run out and switch it over. that way I knew how far I could go. make sure you're not too far away from a gas station you only have a gallon or less on reserve

Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

When I had bikes with a reserve I'd always pack a can of fuel, a half gallon or so, ride till it sputtered, note the milage then ride till it died. I'd then know how far it would go on reserve, put the extra fuel in and go fill up.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

Load, and riding conditions (town, Hwy etc) will all effect how far your reserve will get you as well.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I believe my 02 Dyna has a .9 gal reserve. I purposely ran the bike down to the switch over point and that was close to 4 gals. That's about 150 miles (using 38 mpg combined driving) My gas gauge has a red zone for the needle and that is my secondary indication. Trip odometer is my primary indication.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:38 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Damn... When I was on a 5 gallon tank 150 was a safe place for me now on a 6 gallon 180 is good.

I guess I’m way harder on the throttle than most... 45 mpg is laughable when I do what I consider being easy the best I can do is around 38.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:36 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Arr you sure you were running off the main to begin with? You'd think there'd be a half gallon or more in reserve. Hopefully dawg will answer this...that guy will know how much reserve it should have.
I agree. Are you sure you had the valve in the right position and not running on reserve the whole time? It's easy to accidentally flip it the wrong way if it's still new to you. .3 gallons is not much of a reserve. That or you may have been right at it and over filled it a little. Either way, verify the position of the valve or if you are really concerned, drain the tank and pull the valve and make sure the tip for main is still there. You can also see how tall it is that way and get a feel for how much is in the tank when it gets to it. It may be very short.

I did get pretty good on my dirt bike as a kid switching to reserve on the fly. That was my gas gauge. Thank you for bringing back some fond memories. I like the light and countdown much better than anticipating the sputter that never comes at a good time.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Midnite13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I agree. Are you sure you had the valve in the right position and not running on reserve the whole time? It's easy to accidentally flip it the wrong way if it's still new to you. .3 gallons is not much of a reserve. That or you may have been right at it and over filled it a little. Either way, verify the position of the valve or if you are really concerned, drain the tank and pull the valve and make sure the tip for main is still there. You can also see how tall it is that way and get a feel for how much is in the tank when it gets to it. It may be very short.

I did get pretty good on my dirt bike as a kid switching to reserve on the fly. That was my gas gauge. Thank you for bringing back some fond memories. I like the light and countdown much better than anticipating the sputter that never comes at a good time.
I understand where youre comming fron, though every bike ive owned but the 2012 had a reserve im use to em in all different locations, and the stock petcock was leaking so I replaced it, toward the rear is off down is on and toward the front is reserve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got a new(to me) bike! Fuel question