Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Adjust Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Here you go....youtube video from HD on how to align the lights....

Old 01-16-2014, 01:41 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

After I installed the CVO/2014 style highway lights I took it to my dealer to see if they would help me adjust mine. The mechanic placed one hand behind the light to protect the paint and with his other he formed a fist and lightly hammered the light back until it was were he said it need it to be. I tried it when I got home and it has worked for me since. Manually trying to move them just didn't work, and after they were set they don't move. Couldn't see making or buying a tool after seeing that trick?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I have a set of Craftsman Maxx Access ratchets & sockets which have a hole thru the middle of them for long bolts...I also installed a quick disconnect in the wires leading to the lights to where they normally are inside the fairing, give them a pull and they come out to where you can get to them...and I just use the Maxx Access socket and ratchet on the nut, loosen it, adjust the light, tighten it back down, and readjust as needed. Reconnect the wire. Easy peasy. No special socket required, since I already had the Maxx Access set.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Just Don
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a template out of 1/4" plywood with holes laid out to match the bolt pattern for the turn signal mounts, and a keyhole type opening to accommodate slipping over the wires and providing an opening for the socket to reach the nut. I remove the lower turn signal housings, loosen the lock nut and bolt the template to the mounts with the existing bolts. This keeps the bottom mounts parallel with each other and fixed in that position. I can then aim the lights where I want them to go. I can snug up and tighten the nuts with the template still in place without any hassle. Then I remove the template and remount the turn signals. A bit of a project at first, but I have it for future use and as a loaner.

Last edited by Just Don; 01-16-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is mine. use a die grinder on a 9/16 socket. make sure there's no burr on the edges to cut the wires.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 AM
billcurley
Novice
Default Passing light specs

Does anyone know what the measurements are supposed to be for proper passing lamp alignment in relation to Headlamp position? right lamp ? inches up and ? inches to right? Left Lamp ? inches down and ? inches right Thanks... I don't think it matters but this is a 2007 Roadster/Sportster

Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I'm not sure I believe the cross-eyed theory, about one being beam being high and the other one low. I've joked for years that these lights mysteriously appear on the build line, pre-assembled - but nobody knows where they come from or why they point as they do! While the grip-and-fist may work, to redirect them, I have an old deep-offset ring-wrench which I cut a slot in, to fit over the wire and slacken/tighten the mounting nut. Snap-on I believe make a dedicated modified socket, but it's cheaper to buy and modify a ring-wrench.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Passing lights alignment depends on where you live. Twisty country roads at 40mph call for a wider low beam. I discovered that a (14mm?) diesel injector deep socket wrench is the proper tool to clear the hot wire of the passing lights.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 PM
billcurley
Novice

Passing lights on a Sporty or Dyna are easy to adjust, nut is open and all that is needed is a 1/2 spanner, just trying to find the alignment specs someplace to use as a starting point and will then adjust to my liking from there once I'm back on the road

Quick Reply: How To Adjust Driving Lights