Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paul Yaffe Stealth 3 Install - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:57 PM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 297 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Paul Yaffe Stealth 3 Install - HELP!

I bought the Stealth 3 license plate frame. I began the installation but I am stuck and even my local Harley techs could not figure it out by looking at the instructions and following along with my question.

I am at the part in the instructions where it tells you to remove that silver plate underneath the fender and drill out the two bungs using a 1/4" drill bit. It does not explain how to remove the silver, triangular plate from the fender. There does not appear to be anything holding the plate to the fender so I am assuming it is some type of 3M tape or adhesive. However, before ripping and prying it off, I want to ask you guys how you got it off.

I thought I would try to use the two stock screws but they did not fit in the two back holes on the license plate frame. I tried all the screw sets that came with the Steath 3, why are there 3 different sets anyway?, but they do not fit through the bungs on that silver plate. Is there an easier way than having to remove the plate?

Please help. I am stuck and want to ride tomorrow but I don't feel like throwing the stock light and frame back on the bike.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Did not remove it on my 2019 cvo, that's where the nut inserts are mounted. I did have to drill them out to mount the new ones, just be careful because it will spin a metal sliver out and will scratch the paint if not careful.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 PM
RiderX
Road Master

Originally Posted by Quik
Did not remove it on my 2019 cvo, that's where the nut inserts are mounted. I did have to drill them out to mount the new ones, just be careful because it will spin a metal sliver out and will scratch the paint if not careful.

I didn't fee l comfortable drilling them out while the plate was attached. I can guarantee, I would have allowed the drill bit to slip or accidentally touch the metal shavings and scratched my fender for sure.

I took it to my local dealer and without even talking to him, he thought it was easiest to drill them out with the plate attached. I asked him after he did it and he said he has done this install quite a few times and had not issue drilling them out. It looks pretty good.

I wish they made it more clear in the instructions. One step simply says that the bungs need to be drilled out and the next step shows the plate removed with someone drilling them out. It doesn't mention how to remove that plate at all. I did confirm with my tech that the plate is attached to the underside of the fender with some type of 3M adhesive. He said it is a pain to remove.

A replacement plate costs $20 for those that are willing to try removing it.

Thank you for your response.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 PM
Iwannagofast
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its double sided taped. You have to be careful and not bend it up to get it out, but I just did a little prying and it popped out.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:35 PM
RiderX
Road Master

Originally Posted by Iwannagofast
Its double sided taped. You have to be careful and not bend it up to get it out, but I just did a little prying and it popped out.
Thanks for the response. That is good to know.