Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide vs Electra Glide Limited

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:25 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

I have had two SG a 09 put 75000 traded for a 14SGS 45000 miles later got a limited 16 because I liked the color and made a deal I could walk away from. I like my limited good storage for trips, the SG"s have a better look. So if I only had one bike and put lots of miles one it I would go with the Ultra Limited. But if I only put about 5 to 8000 a year or less I would go with the street glide. Or do what I do have 5 bikes to pick from, Limiter, 99 RK. 67 Fl 65 FLH,63 Fl.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 AM
N1265
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I remember when I bought my Switchback the sales man said "you are going to want to be in a cruiser " But I have medical issues and was conserned of my ability to handle the bigger bikes and went with the Dyna. 3 years later I realize he was right because the ride on the switchback ( with my medical conditions ) would limit my riding to about 4 hrs a day ( 2 hrs out and 2 hrs back ) I ended up trading the switchback in on a FLHTK and have not regretted getting the bigger bike. The only thing I do regret is trading my Switchback in, it was the perfect bike for around town and short trips.

trying to find the perfect bike to do everything may not be doable depending on your situiation , sometimes you just need more than one bike. My Advice to you is this : If you need a cruiser for the longer trips then go big and get the FLHTK, if you need a second bike for the shorter stuff it is hard to beat the bike you got .

JMHO

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (06-03-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 AM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I just did the harley demo days. And out of all the big touring bikes I test rode the ultra ltd left the best impression. I currently ride a 15 RGS

Old 05-31-2019, 11:38 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Greetings,

Going through my yearly "I want a touring bike" phase. I'm really hot on the Road King, but currently have a Switchback and going to the RK feels getting a super sized version of what I currently have.

Which leads me to the Street Glide and Electra Glide Limited (oops, found out this bike is called the Electra Glide Ultra Classic...EGUC).

When the M8's debuted in 2017, wound up taking test rides on a then new 2017 Street Glide Special, Road Glide Special and Road King. Thought the RK was the easiest of the 3 to pilot, but of the faired bikes I liked the SG better than the RG. I found this surprising since most say the fairing on the RG cuts the wind better and what not.

It seems that for roughly $3k more than the SG, the EGUC gives a touring trunk, the nifty passenger accommodations, slightly longer rear shocks, aux lights, plusher seat and some other bells/whistles. I should note, not a fan of the current version of the SG Special. I'm targeting the regular SG. While the SG appears to have a sleeker look, is there any advantage to getting an SG over an EGUC? On paper, I think the EGUC offers a lot. Is it correct to assume that the trunk on the EGUC can be removed?
I'm confused about the part where you said you don't like the current Street Glide Special, but like the 'regular' Street Glide. What differences don't you like? There aren't many, and the differences that do exist are all items that come on the Ultra (new GTS radio, ABS, color matched inner fairing, etc.)

Old 05-31-2019, 12:15 PM
rcn1963
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Like most of the other responses, I'd recommend either the UC or the limited. I went UC because I the extra's on the limited just weren't worth it to me. I never used the nav system on my previous SGS. I use heated gloves so don't care about the heated grips. And living in Oregon, heat isn't much of an issue so the water cooled engine was just something else to break. I couldn't see paying an extra few grand for stuff I didn't need or wouldn't use.

I did however spring for the quick detach kit for the tour pack. And the bracket for that is now sitting on a shelf in my garage because I really hated the way the cams loosened up allowing the tour pack to bounce over every bump. Removing the tour pack using the factory bracket is just 4 bolts, so it's almost as easy as using the QD. If I had it to do over again I'd just get the saddle bag lights separately instead of buying the whole QD kit. Use the money you save to replace the stock tail light and relocate your license plate.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:03 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I'm confused about the part where you said you don't like the current Street Glide Special, but like the 'regular' Street Glide. What differences don't you like? There aren't many, and the differences that do exist are all items that come on the Ultra (new GTS radio, ABS, color matched inner fairing, etc.)

Maybe he's not a fan of the whole blacked out thang. That's what steered me towards the "regular" Street Glide.

ETA the Specials get a gloss black, not a color matched inner fairing.

Last edited by Dynamick; 05-31-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Maybe he's not a fan of the whole blacked out thang. That's what steered me towards the "regular" Street Glide.

ETA the Specials get a gloss black, not a color matched inner fairing.
I went with the Street Glide "standard" on my '18, the chrome looks better IMHO. It came with the radio upgrade, added lowers, sissy bar, rack and later changed the seat to a Danny Gray Airhawk. The stock seat is fine for me, but my daughters complained about it.

Edit add: Heated grips and fairing wind deflectors make year round riding comfortable down to 20ºF as long as there isn't ice.

Last edited by Cowpokey; 05-31-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:16 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Honestly, for me, the stuff I hate about the ultras are the chrome bits on the fenders and saddlebag latches, the aux lamps on the front, the rear light, and the taller shield. I like the styling of the Street Glide much better in this regard, and would find it much easier to add the ultra's extras later if I wanted to.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:12 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by SoGA
I may be in the minority here, but like you, I like the sleek look of the SG, so I went with a SGS and found a guy selling one with a tour pak already mounted. Of course, it's removable, so I have the sleek look when I want it and I have the luggage space when I want it. Best of both worlds. And it's loads cheaper to add a tour pak to a SG than to add a detach kit to a EGUC. Just my two cents; YMMV.
Yep me too. I really like my Limited, but I miss my SG. The bike just feels more sporty without that tourpack. And they are better looking bikes.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 06-01-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
It's all cosmetic.

I'd rather have chrome
Do not like the look of the droopy bags
Like the rims better on the SG

Quick Reply: Street Glide vs Electra Glide Limited