Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reversed Battery Leads 2012 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Moises Plasencia
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Reversed Battery Leads 2012 FLHX

A family member accidentally placed jump start cables in reversed polarity and attempted to start the motorcycle. Since that accidental event, a new battery has been replaced with the terminals corrected placed. However now when the ignition switch is placed in the ignition or access position the red key light on the speedometer remains on, and the left brake light and left front light remain on. I have attempted various procedures as described online to unlock the bike without any success.

I hope the computer/module is not destroyed.

Any helpful suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Hello! How are you doing today?

Old 06-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Probably smoked all the electronics. Best thing to do now is take it to a dealer or independent repair shop with proper test equipment, shop & electrical troubleshooting manuals. And have your "family member" keep their stupid paws away from the bike. In fact, have them sent to time out. For a long time. Also sounds like you or someone replaced the battery with a wrong unit. Batteries are made with positive post on either corner of the front of the battery. A correctly fitted battery will NOT required rerouting the pos/neg terminals. So may YOU need to keep your paws off the bike as well? Little to no knowledge of what you're doing can cost BIG MONEY real quick.

And I think those comments will be your most helpful.

And for all the readers that are ready to start blasting my remarks as not being helpful, take a moment to digest what I said. This poster has no business trying to repair electrical system of a bike that's been hit with unlimited current at 2x nominal voltage.

The following users liked this post:
1 2 many (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:15 PM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Fried ecm seen it happen. Ouch new ecm $500

Old 06-02-2019, 08:47 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,297 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. After you get the bike fixed, ask the shop the proper way to jump start your motorcycle, write it down so there isn't any confusion when you teach your family members the correct way. Sure the family member screwed up your bike but I don't think they did it on purpose. Once they learn there shouldn't be damaged bike in the future. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I don't get how anyone could leave the cables on reversed long enough to even try and start the bike.
There would be massive sparks when they were connected...hmmm

DanHappy (06-04-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:13 PM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I got a better story. A guy at work installed his batt backwards. How I dont know but he tried to start the bike and all he got was smoke.

Last edited by 1 2 many; 06-02-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:21 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Probably smoked all the electronics. Best thing to do now is take it to a dealer or independent repair shop with proper test equipment, shop & electrical troubleshooting manuals. And have your "family member" keep their stupid paws away from the bike. In fact, have them sent to time out. For a long time. Also sounds like you or someone replaced the battery with a wrong unit. Batteries are made with positive post on either corner of the front of the battery. A correctly fitted battery will NOT required rerouting the pos/neg terminals. So may YOU need to keep your paws off the bike as well? Little to no knowledge of what you're doing can cost BIG MONEY real quick.

And I think those comments will be your most helpful.

And for all the readers that are ready to start blasting my remarks as not being helpful, take a moment to digest what I said. This poster has no business trying to repair electrical system of a bike that's been hit with unlimited current at 2x nominal voltage.
Maybe I read it wrong but it seems to me that someone tried to jump start the bike and reversed the jumper cables while doing so , not that the battery was installed backwards.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:40 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,731 Likes on 3,500 Posts

Originally Posted by NELS
Maybe I read it wrong but it seems to me that someone tried to jump start the bike and reversed the jumper cables while doing so , not that the battery was installed backwards.
Seriously? Now we have to actually read the post before we can comment?? Don't know if I'm ready to make that kind of commitment. LoL.

OP, let us know how it turns out. Hopefully it won't be very serious, but like others have said, I think you're screwed. Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by roussfam:
hdbob2006 (06-03-2019), Vec (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:47 AM
jimglassford
Tourer
Received 195 Likes on 115 Posts

Assuming the ECU was fried may be a little premature. I work for a company that designs and builds ECU for a competitor of Harley. We build into the circuitry over voltage and reverse polarity protection. One of the failure modes we have to consider is if someone makes a mistake in jump starting. I would be surprised if Harley did not have the same thoughts in 2012. Electrical issues are the hardest to diagnose. Hopefully a smaller gauge wire was damaged in the process, not the ECU.

1 2 many (06-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Reversed Battery Leads 2012 FLHX