Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieter pipes= a surprising THUMBS UP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 07:22 AM
johnnyhumble
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Quieter pipes= a surprising THUMBS UP!

My 2016 Road Glide Ultra has just over 49000 miles now and I recently changed from the Rush Slip On Big Louie mufflers to the Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons with Contrast Cut tips.

I noticed a tinging sound lately and upon inspection, one of the bolts securing the rear of my muffler to the frame had snapped off. Of course when I drilled it out and tried an EZ out, I snapped that off and basically buggered up the mounting hole on the muffler....I'm pretty sure a career as an H-D mechanic may not be in my future. I was at the dealer and noticed a set of H-D Screamin' Eagle mufflers on the clearance rack for $250. The M8 may be helping the Twin Cam market in some ways. The GM as well as the parts salesman warned me I wouldn't be as loud, so don't be surprised by the sound. I guess I'm either getting old or am one who is going against the grain as I was looking to lower the sound some.

The Big Louie's have a deep rumble and get louder as they run in, but I never considered them loud. The H-D pipes I installed give a nice, low rumble, and honestly sound fine to me. I am able to cruise down the road and barely have the radio over 1/2 volume. It's actually relaxing....and maybe I'm crazy but the bike sounds like an old FLH....just a low potatoe potatoe sound now. The H-D pipes look better as well, as they complete the chrome/ contrast look the rest of the bike has. Maybe I'm getting older, or maybe I'm just a yuppie rider to some, but I thought I'd post to encourage those out there that sometimes it's fine to go against the grain...I know I'm happier with my ride now, and at the end of the day, isn't that the point?

Oh, and I posted this in the Touring section vs. Exhaust section because I figured the Touring riders benefit from a quieter exhaust as they generally put the miles on their bikes in big chunks. Most of the smaller bikes are just grip it and rip it blasters anyways, so they usually want a screamer that will bite the ears.

The following 3 users liked this post by johnnyhumble:
Bodacious MC (06-11-2019), Circa58 (06-09-2019), Hawg Runner (06-08-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Yeah, I went with Rineharts over the stock OEM HD's on my '16 FLHTK. I wanted a little growl, but not as loud as the V&H's on my metric cruiser. I got beat up with the noise on long trips with the previous bike, so I too am happy with a quieter exhaust.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:56 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

Oh man, you're going to get run over by every other cager on the highway....loud pipes save lives man....lol.

The following users liked this post:
HDK (06-10-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

Great catch on the new pipes ! If you do ever want to go back to a louder pipe , look into Fullsac Baffles . That way you can keep the cannons and go back to the louder pipes you once had . I loved the look of my cvo street cannons but wanted them louder , so I installed a set of mild crusher baffles with some slight modifications , now I have the best of both worlds .

https://fullsac.com/

Enjoy the new sound , ride safe !

Old 06-04-2019, 11:43 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

One of the first things I did to my 2014 Street Glide was to put on a Rinehart Slimline Duel header pipe, but I kept
the stock mufflers on. I did ride the Bike that way for about a year and a half, and enjoyed riding it that way. Every
time I came home my Wife couldn't hear me pull up, so she could open our gate so I can put the Bike in the garage.
I installed a a pair of Jackpot touring mufflers, their louder, the Wife can hear me come home, and I don't enjoy the
ride that much anymore. Just Saying

John

Old 06-04-2019, 04:30 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

I still like it loud... I commute in traffic daily and want all those idiots texting in their cages to hear me.

I might go quieter once I retire and don’t have to ride in so much traffic.

Loud pipes I believe save my life daily.

#calitrafficsucks

Ddieselsmoke (06-07-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:53 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

I have the 4" Big Louies on my bike. Same pair as on my 2010 (literally - had them transferred when I bought this one). 2" baffles, and they're perfect.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:08 PM
NWTruck
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Bought Lucille with the V&H ProPipe, competition baffle. THAT is loud ! I installed their "quiet" baffle, toned it down some but I'm not sneakin up on anybody for sure ! Just got a pair of EarPeace hi-fidelity ear plugs, looking forward to trying them out tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:14 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 395 Likes on 270 Posts

My Rush Big Louie’s are on their 3rd season and get better all the time. Loud enough but not obnoxious.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:29 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 666 Posts

'16 FLTRU, stage 1 A/C and Street Cannons with the Sharkfin endcaps here. I like the sound, barely louder than stock at idle, mellow rumble cruising.

johnnyhumble (06-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Quieter pipes= a surprising THUMBS UP!