Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   07 Road King Oil Pan Gasket (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1287910-07-road-king-oil-pan-gasket.html)

miketv84 06-11-2019 06:10 PM

07 Road King Oil Pan Gasket

So by the color and smell it looks like engine engine oil that drips from the oil pan on my 07 Road King. Looks like it's coming from the gasket area toward the rear .

Now I have true dual exhaust so the only thing underneath is the frame brace. Is it possible to lower the pan just enough to slide the gasket out and new one in ? Or do I need to remove the rear wheel and slide it out ?

I see alot of forums talking about springs, etc. None of which looks to be in the way.

Thanks .

CoolBreeze3646 06-11-2019 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by miketv84 (Post 18322654)
So by the color and smell it looks like engine engine oil that drips from the oil pan on my 07 Road King. Looks like it's coming from the gasket area toward the rear .

Now I have true dual exhaust so the only thing underneath is the frame brace. Is it possible to lower the pan just enough to slide the gasket out and new one in ? Or do I need to remove the rear wheel and slide it out ?

I see alot of forums talking about springs, etc. None of which looks to be in the way.

Thanks .

Have you tried torquing the pan screws first? They are supposed to be checked for torque at the 1,000 mile services I think.

xcbullet 06-11-2019 08:38 PM

It's been a while since I did mine but I think the baffle will be in the way. It's a pain getting it in and out. I had swing arms out but not sure if has to be. Then I even had to bend the dog bone brace to get it out( learned from another member that had to do that). Not all need that. Which was a pain when I went to put true track on. I then had to straighten it .

The isolaters probably need changed while your at it

Zerk 06-11-2019 08:48 PM

Long allens sockets is what I used, and what I think manual says to use.

In theory it is not a hard job. But getting the pan back in without getting sealant smeared is fun. Done on my 01, but not my 07 So not sure how tight 6 speed is.. I used jack to raise engine to clearance. I know one guy who said he thought it was easier to just remove the tranny.

cncmike 06-11-2019 10:19 PM

When my ‘09 leaked a little I just tightened the screws a little and it stopped. There are holes in the frame brace to allow an Allen wrench. I don’t know if the earlier frame is much different.

Zerk 06-11-2019 10:24 PM

Ya they do. They have to. Not sure if he has some kinda bagger brace getting in the way.

miketv84 06-12-2019 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by xcbullet (Post 18323069)
It's been a while since I did mine but I think the baffle will be in the way. It's a pain getting it in and out. I had swing arms out but not sure if has to be. Then I even had to bend the dog bone brace to get it out( learned from another member that had to do that). Not all need that. Which was a pain when I went to put true track on. I then had to straighten it .

The isolaters probably need changed while your at it

Ill double check the bolts, make sure they are tight. What do you mean by baffles ?

So the theory of just lowering it enough to slide the gasket out won't work ?

The only thing I see in the way is the frame brace and the rear tire.

miketv84 06-12-2019 03:18 AM

Ill double check the bolts, make sure they are tight. What do you mean by baffles ?

So the theory of just lowering it enough to slide the gasket out won't work ?

The only thing I see in the way is the frame brace and the rear tire.

xcbullet 06-12-2019 03:26 AM

The baffle is inside the pan to keep the oil from rushing forward and backwards. It's held down by the springs that you mentioned

miketv84 06-12-2019 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by xcbullet (Post 18323470)
The baffle is inside the pan to keep the oil from rushing forward and backwards. It's held down by the springs that you mentioned

Ahhhh gotcha. So it doesn't get caught when trying to slide it out ?