Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Roadking EFI 88-106 S&S

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Harrisment
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Roadking EFI 88-106 S&S

Hey guy’s i’ve just had the local shop build the s&s 106 for my 2000 Roadking EFI, but it’s running terribly. Not idling nice, and lots of backfire on decel. It ran great last year with a 95 kit, but the fueling high flow oil pump failed after just 4000k and ruined the crank, pistons and jugs. So now I have the the 106 crank, pistons jugs, 585 cams, manual dcomps, ported heads, high flow oil pump, oil cooler magneti marelli efi, and dobec EJK. What should I do to set up the EFI? Besides bringing it back to the dealer lol.

thx!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Let the shop that did the work fix it. Messing with it further may allow them to say it's not their fault. Problem exists in the tuning though.

The following 2 users liked this post by larsfum:
Harrisment (06-12-2019), Z (06-16-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:27 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

why did it leave the shop running like that?
kroozeabout.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Has the mixture and timing been tuned on a Dyno? I'm guessing not.

I don't know the Dobeck system, but I do know that no system can accurately, automatically adjust the mixture on a 2000 MM system because that year bike lacks O2 sensors. Any bolt-on device made to automatically adjust the mixture on a 2000 MM bike must be designed for a specific combination of parts in order to be effective, or it must be adjustable by a human technician. Unless your Dobeck system is designed for your build, or adjusted (if that's even possible) by a competant tuner on a dyno to deliver the an appropriate air/fuel ratio, then your mixture is probably way off.

Also, the ignition timing needs to be tuned to accomodate the needs of your build. Since your bike lacks knock sensors, this can be a tricky task that if not done properly can result in catastrophic damage to your engine from spark knock caused by excessive ignition advance for your build, or from excessive heat caused by too little advance.

More good news? The Magnetti Morelli system on you bike is horrible at managing the idle on built engines.

Last edited by Z; 06-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Harrisment (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Your bike also lacks a manifold absolute pressure sensor, so the Dobeck's "load based tuning" probably is useless on your bike.

Harrisment (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

So you have spent a wad on this...go one more and put a Mikuni carb on. There are kits out there and directions! I have a link somewhere.....

Harrisment (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 04:26 PM
Harrisment
1st Gear

Originally Posted by t. sawyer
why did it leave the shop running like that?
kroozeabout.
I guess they just don’t care, or are incapable, that was the second time picking her up, brutal, I msged the manager......no response.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Harrisment
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Z
Has the mixture and timing been tuned on a Dyno? I'm guessing not.

I don't know the Dobeck system, but I do know that no system can accurately, automatically adjust the mixture on a 2000 MM system because that year bike lacks O2 sensors. Any bolt-on device made to automatically adjust the mixture on a 2000 MM bike must be designed for a specific combination of parts in order to be effective, or it must be adjustable by a human technician. Unless your Dobeck system is designed for your build, or adjusted (if that's even possible) by a competant tuner on a dyno to deliver the an appropriate air/fuel ratio, then your mixture is probably way off.

Also, the ignition timing needs to be tuned to accomodate the needs of your build. Since your bike lacks knock sensors, this can be a tricky task that if not done properly can result in catastrophic damage to your engine from spark knock caused by excessive ignition advance for your build, or from excessive heat caused by too little advance.

More good news? The Magnetti Morelli system on you bike is horrible at managing the idle on built engines.
The S&S kit didn’t mention anything about adjusting the ignition timing, is it possible the previous set up fr the 95kit would suffice?

Old 06-15-2019, 05:10 AM
Jaftica
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Curious to know how many frogs you dropped getting that done at the shop only to have a sled running like chit?

Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Z
Road Warrior

A lot of shops that do performance builds don't have a dyno so they can't dial-in them in before returning your bike. Thy just send you on your way with instructions something like "go online and find a map from a build similar to yours to get you started, then take it to a Dyno shop and get it dialed in." That model lays the foundation for great frustration, a bunch of extra cost, and tons of finger pointing if something goes wrong. Don't ask how I know.

Hard-earned lesson: Even if it costs more, if at all possible always find a single source for every aspect of a build. That way, for example, the builder can't blame the tuner and vice versa.

Next time I need a build, it will probably be from Fuel Moto.

Quick Reply: 2000 Roadking EFI 88-106 S&S