Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Modular helmets and HD wired headset (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1288243-modular-helmets-and-hd-wired-headset.html)

dontdropit 06-14-2019 06:53 AM

Modular helmets and HD wired headset

I am thinking about getting a modular helmet. I have the HD wired headsets and want to know if your using the same setup. I noticed that with some of these helmets it would be difficult using the wired headset because it mounts on the outside of the helmet and you need to bring the Mic up from underneath the chin guard. If your using a modular helmet with the HD wired headsets what helmet do you have? I already ordered one only to realize there is no way to use the wired headset with it.

MajorKG 06-14-2019 08:14 AM

I have the Shoei NeoTec, it is difficult, but works, I often wonder how the police do the microphone on their Shoei's though. Subscribing.

smitty901 06-14-2019 08:20 AM

It works really the same thing as using a wireless one. What I got sick of was the darn wire. Gone for good now.

Boomer1143 06-14-2019 09:19 AM

I have the Harley modular helmet made by HJC. I have the wired headset in this helmet. No problems. This is the second Harley modular helmet I've used this headset with.

dontdropit 06-14-2019 10:06 AM

I think it's a matter of how much room the chin bar provides and if it has a semi stiff non removable chin curtain. The one I ordered did. The chin curtain actually brushed my chin when closing the helmet. No way for me to put the mic in place and close it and it would be somewhat difficult to put the mic in place after it's closed.

oc2co_rider 06-14-2019 10:10 AM

I also have the Harley modular helmet from HJC ("Capstone" model, I think). I originally installed the wired headset that was included with my Limited. The headset mounts on the side of the helmet with no issues and then the wires route under the padding and up over the crown of the helmet. As long as you use the flexible microphone arm, you can easily raise and lower the front of the helmet. I have since switched to the wireless headsets and they install almost exactly the same way.

jcsjr321 06-14-2019 10:47 AM

I had an HJC IS MAX the Harley headsets worked fine. Then I bought a Shoei Neo Tec and a Schuberth C-4 the Harley headset can't mount to the side the way the helmets are made. So I bought IMC wired headsets and used them. Everything fits inside the helmet and you just have the cable coming out from underneath. If you want a really nice setup you can send your helmet to J M they will mount their headsets in your helmet and put a plug through the side of the helmet for the cord. Its nice and clean but a little pricey. The IMC headsets were inexpensive and are working fine.

The_Clownpuncher 06-14-2019 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer1143 (Post 18329187)
I have the Harley modular helmet made by HJC. I have the wired headset in this helmet. No problems. This is the second Harley modular helmet I've used this headset with.

The Harley helmet is the HJC IS 2 MAX helmet (not the CL Max 3) . You'll save about $40 if you don't want Harley on the side of your helmet.

MajorKG 06-15-2019 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jcsjr321 (Post 18329361)
I had an HJC IS MAX the Harley headsets worked fine. Then I bought a Shoei Neo Tec and a Schuberth C-4 the Harley headset can't mount to the side the way the helmets are made. So I bought IMC wired headsets and used them. Everything fits inside the helmet and you just have the cable coming out from underneath. If you want a really nice setup you can send your helmet to J M they will mount their headsets in your helmet and put a plug through the side of the helmet for the cord. Its nice and clean but a little pricey. The IMC headsets were inexpensive and are working fine.

How does the IMC headset microphone attach to the helmet?

jcsjr321 06-15-2019 04:39 PM

The IMC has a tab that Velcro’s in. Once it’s tucked in under the cheekpad it stays pretty secure. I haven’t had any issues with it getting loose.