Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Ultra radio question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 11:40 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Hey Cozz, you don't mention what is wrong with your unit but have read many times that Iron Cross does great work.

http://ironcrossaudio.com/
Iron cross wont work on his. It's not a harmon kardon radio.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:40 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

Originally Posted by hawg50
you can use a harmon kardon from a 2006 up,but it wont have automatic volume control.everything else is plug and play.
To an extent this is correct. one of the plugs is correct for the newer stereo, it will give the two front speakers and the handlebar controls. Very usable, but not perfect. If he has a bike with the passenger controls in the back, and rear speakers they go through the "other" plug which does not fit the stereo stock. I went through this when I upgraded about 2 yrs ago. I ended up re-pinning the connector in a new housing to make it fully functional with minimal investment. the wires are all there, you just need the connector housing (got mine from IIRC Digikey). You can search my username going back a year and a half or so and probably find the threads I had in the audio section when I redid mine. I had an Aquatic unit in my bike when I bought it, but since you cant incorporate the intercom or the rear controls/speakers it was of limited usefulness to me. I went with a stock Harman Kardon.

The following users liked this post:
Cozz (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,844 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by hawg50
you can use a harmon kardon from a 2006 up,but it wont have automatic volume control.everything else is plug and play.
Thanks. Not too worried about the avc. I use the CD player every ride. I love the simplicity of it. Lately, seems like it is crapping out, skipping badly, but that could be directly related to the shitty Drag Specialties front motor mount. Vibration is bad with that mount. Planning on changing to a glide pro mount this week and see if things smooth out. If not, i’ll Switch out to a newer radio. I’m only using fairing speakers. Tourpak assembly / speakers/ controls are long gone. Never used the cb or coms.

Last edited by Cozz; 06-15-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:47 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Cozz
Thanks. Not too worried about the avc. I use the CD player every ride. I love the simplicity of it. Lately, seems like it is crapping out, skipping badly, but that could be directly related to the shitty Drag Specialties front motor mount. Vibration is bad with that mount. Planning on changing to a glide pro mount this week and see if things smooth out. If not, i’ll Switch out to a newer radio. I’m only using fairing speakers. Tourpak assembly / speakers/ controls are long gone. Never used the cb or coms.
Ok, in that case a 2006+ Harman Kardon will be a straight plug and play for you. Most of your removed functions go through the plug that does not fit (different number of pins), so arent a worry. In case you do decide to re-commision some of these functions its a relatively easy process, but you need both year wiring diagrams to bounce function/color off of to get the new location for the new radio. CB on a 2006+ is a separate module, not incorporated like the older unit. Comms ARE part of the radio, but as stated go through the non-usable plug.

TL : DR a newer radio for what you have is a 15 minute swapover. Good luck with what you choose

Last edited by ScottinAZ; 06-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:39 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Scott for the help, appreciate it. I’ll report back on this after I install the glide pro motor mount. I found an old post from iron cross that said , if cds skip only when engine is running, it’s a mechanical problem aka too much vibration, or worn out cd drive dampers . We will soon see.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cozz
Thanks Scott for the help, appreciate it. I’ll report back on this after I install the glide pro motor mount. I found an old post from iron cross that said , if cds skip only when engine is running, it’s a mechanical problem aka too much vibration, or worn out cd drive dampers . We will soon see.
Check your fairing mounts real good. I have an HK unit repaired by IC and the CD started skipping one day so I checked them when I got home and the main right side bracket was broken and the left bracket to the speaker was broken. It is a pretty good indicator for this problem. The radios have anti skip buffers but they can only take so much.

The following users liked this post:
Cozz (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member

I just now ordered a glide pro front motor mount. Dude I talked to said he’s heard of bad front motor mount causing CD player issues many times. I believe it. I will re-check all fairing mounts very carefully too. Thanks.