Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Aftermarket derby cover (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1288955-aftermarket-derby-cover.html)

SJT 06-19-2019 07:36 AM

Aftermarket derby cover

Is there a Derby cover that has an integrated dipstick? I need a 3 hole cover as mine is warped to shit but I really want to be able to check all my fluids on the go. Getting this 1996 ultra ready for a 6k miles grand canyon run and I’m pulling all the stops... not to mention a dipstick hole = easiest change.

RANGER73 06-19-2019 07:49 AM

No, there use to be an inspection cover with a dipstick but it was discontinued Long ago.
Probably due to popping out and sticking out to far.

foxtrapper 06-19-2019 08:13 AM

If you're willing to take the entire primary cover off, you could make one yourself fairly readily. Just drill the case on the top, use a grommet in the hole, and then the likes of a piece of solid copper wire as a dipstick. Size everything for oil tightness. Bend the copper wire/rod prettily for the top. Position the hole so you don't have it into the chain. Use the likes of copper so if it gets caught, it doesn't tear anything up. Fill the primary up to the proper level, mark that on the dipstick with a notch or such. Trim the dipstick excess.

RANGER73 06-19-2019 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by foxtrapper (Post 18340500)
If you're willing to take the entire primary cover off, you could make one yourself fairly readily. Just drill the case on the top, use a grommet in the hole, and then the likes of a piece of solid copper wire as a dipstick. Size everything for oil tightness. Bend the copper wire/rod prettily for the top. Position the hole so you don't have it into the chain. Use the likes of copper so if it gets caught, it doesn't tear anything up. Fill the primary up to the proper level, mark that on the dipstick with a notch or such. Trim the dipstick excess.

How much clearance do you think's in there?

foxtrapper 06-19-2019 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by RANGER73 (Post 18340519)
How much clearance do you think's in there?

I've never had my primary cover off, so other than a vague "not too much" I can't say. You'd want the dipstick to go down between the chain and the outer cover or the chain and the back side. Since the chain never seems to slap either cover, I'd say there should be enough clearance for a rod to fit.

hdbob2006 06-19-2019 09:14 AM

On 'a long trip' - When you stop to eat,or fuel up,look at the ground under the primary,after the bike sits for 15 minutes and check for leaks. If it's not leaking,it's still full.

Sturgis67 06-19-2019 09:18 AM

This seems like an unnecessary adventure to me with potential problems being introduced into the primary by sticking a rod into an area not intended to have one.
change the oil prior to your trip and don’t worry about it. I’ve been on multiple 2000+ mile long trips and have never had to add oil to the primary. Come to think of it, I’ve never had any issues with primary oil. Keep it changed and you are good.

($0.02 submitted prior to flaming criticism that’s sure to come):icon_rolleyes:

SJT 06-19-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sturgis67 (Post 18340651)
This seems like an unnecessary adventure to me with potential problems being introduced into the primary by sticking a rod into an area not intended to have one.
change the oil prior to your trip and don’t worry about it. I’ve been on multiple 2000+ mile long trips and have never had to add oil to the primary. Come to think of it, I’ve never had any issues with primary oil. Keep it changed and you are good.

($0.02 submitted prior to flaming criticism that’s sure to come):icon_rolleyes:

Just the engineering degree best in my head says no no and NO! Plus a large enough hole for a dipstick like the trans makes for easier and faster oil changes!

Point blank the more you pull the derby cover the more it warps. Especially the 3 hole. Let’s eliminate this with proper torque 9ft lbs 1 install and adding a dipstick/fill hole..

my oil was just changed but if it’s one plug to drain let’s face it... should be one plug to fill. It’s a Harley not a gold wing and if I want years and years and years it needs to be ready for checks and service.

Im pretty good about glancing under the bike before I ride, but what about s terrible leak that may develop between 200mile fuel stops (that’s a full 5 gallons).

Maybe I’m just a little obsessive with maintenance but it is a 1996 and I am wanting to be sure I make it back from my planned 6k mile adventure.

If i have to have it machined then so be it, but I want the ability to change and check the primary oil on the fly like the engine and transmission.

danzio 06-19-2019 07:07 PM

All of this sounds like you're searching to find a problem that doesn't exist. A political career could be in your future. Spend your hard earned money on a Tarot card reader instead. :icon_toast:

SJT 06-19-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by danzio (Post 18341870)
All of this sounds like you're searching to find a problem that doesn't exist. A political career could be in your future. Spend your hard earned money on a Tarot card reader instead. :icon_toast:

Finally!!!!! Thank you for good information.