Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats are hard to chose.... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 PM
LagunaGlide
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Seats are hard to chose.... Help?

Well I have been riding my 17 SGS with a seat off a '17 Ultra for about 2 years now. This years I have been having some shoulder issues on long rides (500 miles or more in a day) due to an old injury. I started to feel like I was too far forward. Today I switched back to my stock seat and was pleased with the seating position (lower and farther back). I originally got the ultra seat for my wife, but she doesn't ride with me much anymore. I am 6'3" and about 240 lbs.

All that said I am looking at seats, and it's hard to just pick one by looking online. I really want something that has the same fit and profile as he stock seat, but a bit more comfortable for the long rides, and a bit better pillion than the stock. I was looking at the Corbin Widowmaker, and it seems like it fits the bill, but wanted to hear the opinions of others out there.

Suggestions on what I am looking for or otherwise appreciated.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:49 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

If you like the stock seat position and fit, you might be better off having it modified. They can put in some comfy gel and memory foam and also widen/soften up the pillion for your wife. It will also be considerably cheaper for you.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,223 Posts

Whatever seat someone has will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've had Corbin's on 3 different bikes and wouldn't have anything else.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 PM
1FLTRXS8
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Mustang Super solo with detachable Backrest, also can get a Passenger Pillion if needed

very Comfy

Old 06-21-2019, 01:05 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

Seats are very subjective. 702 loves his Corbins. I had one, will never have another. Everyone is different. I spent hours on this forum reading about seats. Then I ordered a LePera. I've received it but haven't installed it yet. One of the fundamental questions you have to ask yourself is, in relation to the stock seat, do I want to move up, down, forward, backward or a combination of those. Or do you want to stay in the same position that the stock seat offers. Most aftermarket seats are going to change at least one of those parameters. If you're happy overall with the stock seat, consider sending it out to be modified. The people that do that will ask you a lot of questions first and then modify the seat based on your answers. Many people here have been happy with that process.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:17 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

If there was a simple answer for, "Which seat is right me?", we wouldn't have so many, "Which seat is right for me?" threads.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:45 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

Buy what your *** and your back tell you to.

Your wifes *** and back also have an opinion to be taken into consideration. Once all are satisfied, drop cash and ride on.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Seat are something you can't buy from a picture, to me you have to plant your *** on it first to tell if it fits you.

The following users liked this post:
Jaftica (06-23-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 04:52 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Seat are something you can't buy from a picture, to me you have to plant your *** on it first to tell if it fits you.

To me the real problem is not even that. I bet I could ride almost any seat produced for at least a half hour, once you get over the hour mark is when you really start seeing if the works for you!

I am currently on my sixth or seventh seat and still not convinced. At least the current one I have I enjoy for 99% of my riding. I just don’t feel it will do me well on a 500 mile day.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
To me the real problem is not even that. I bet I could ride almost any seat produced for at least a half hour, once you get over the hour mark is when you really start seeing if the works for you!

I am currently on my sixth or seventh seat and still not convinced. At least the current one I have I enjoy for 99% of my riding. I just don’t feel it will do me well on a 500 mile day.
I have a different take on riding in general, if I'm pounding out a 500mi. day it means I'm not enjoying myself and all the great scenery and things a road trip has to offer. Different strokes I guess, but I did spend 4 decades grinding out long miles on a shovelhead before I bought my couch bike, a 17 RK.

Quick Reply: Seats are hard to chose.... Help?