Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

king two up vs stealth rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Canadian
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 17 Posts
Default king two up vs stealth rack

Hey, I'm picking up a new road king special today and will be looking for a luggage rack. This will be my first touring bike and i'm hoping to get some feedback and opinions from people who have had one or even both of these racks. I'm getting the taller sissy bar for my girlfriend to go on trips but most likely will not have that on the bike unless we are going on a trip.

I am considering the king two up https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...01-50300058--1

or the stealth https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-01-5356609--1

Obviously the stealth is nicer looking and the king looks more functional. From what I've read on here, a lot of people have surprisingly said their stealth is very functional even though there's not much strapping room.

Here are my scenarios I will probably ride with.

1. no sissy bar during my day to day riding. I figure it would be nice to still have a rack on the back to put a case of beer, pizza, or a box on the back when doing day to day running around since that won't fit in my bags

- The stealth will look better to leave on the bike all the time but how good is it to strap to if there is no sissy bar

- the king wont look good but obviously will function much better

2. touring with the sissy bar

- Even though the stealth doesn't have as much tie down space, does this really a huge problem since i can strap to the sissy bar. i've seen a lot of people with very large bags on the sissy bar from researching this forum. Would it be possible to strap a box of wine to this? I do trips to the okanagan wine country here and being able to bring back a whole box of wine would be nice haha.

- The king will obviously be the better choice for this and since i will have luggage strapped to it, looks wont matter.

I know I will have to make some compromises so just looking for opinions on what will get me most of what i'm looking for.

thanks

Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I was in the same boat. I went with the king and don't regret it. I travel 2 up a lot though. Wife packs a lot. I like the wider platform to set stuff that is not ridged so it doesn't settle and touch the bags or fender.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Function over form in my opinion. Besides, you can't see it from the saddle anyway so who cares what it looks like as long as it works good. Even more so if something is going to be sitting on it.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:06 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats and welcome

The RK is the all around best bike that HD makes.

Go for function and get the King rack, I use a Ultra seat instead of the RK seat, comfortable for me and my wife.

Enjoy winery touring, I am the Sonoma coast here out West-Be safe if you are tasting!!

Cheers!

Old 06-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Canadian
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks! I just upgraded from an 03 Vstar 1100 custom so this is my first harley. I wanted a bigger bike for touring but still love the open feel of no fairing and I dont need speakers or screen since I use my in helmet comm system. Needless to say, this bike is a huge improvement hahha.

I totally agree on the functionality of the king rack for touring when then there is a sissy bar as well for extra tie down space.

I guess my issue with it is that I will only be traveling 3 or 4 times a year so most of the driving will be in my days to day errands and too and from work where I won't have the sissy bar on. I don't think I'd like the look of the king rack on the bike all the time without anything on it but it would be nice to have something that I can strap down items which won't fit in the bags.

This is where I'm leaning towards the stealth rack since I think it looks good enough to leave on the bike. For an expensive bike that has an awesome look, I dont want to saccrafice the appearance.

I guess I'm hoping someone can tell me from experience if it's worth having a rack during day to day errands and if it is still possible to strap properly to the stealth rack without a sissy bar.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2019, 06:59 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

You will be amazed how much you can cram in the saddlebags. I have an RKC with the smaller leather bags and have made many a stop for the wife on the way home. I had a luggage rack on the back of the sissy bar and never used it except when touring and have since removed it all and made it a solo bike that I commute on every day. I have all my gear, briefcase and still have room to cram in odds and ends if needed. You could probably keep a quick detach rack in the saddlebag and keep the clean look.

You have an awesome looking bike so I understand your desire to keep it awesome looking. I felt the same way with my first bike. Now that I am on my fourth, aesthetics are my last concern. Comfort first. Performance ( function ) second. Then maybe.... maybe looks.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:15 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Another vote for the King rack.