Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High volume Dealers and used bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default High volume Dealers and used bikes

So, this is really far away from my first rodeo with used vehicles. Getting back into riding with my Son and we recently picked up a few used bikes from our local dealer. Within 5 weeks of each other. His being a 2011 Sporty 883 low with 3900 miles, mine being a 2005 Electra Glide Standard with 13000 miles. He said his bike was howling the whole ride home. WTF is that Dad ? Got home, I found the drive belt to be way way too tight. I could see just from the axle adjusters it was stupid far back. I adjusted same- howling gone trans shifted MUCH better too.. Next day I go through the brake fluid check. Both Masters are basically filled with root beer and tar brake fluid. Really?? You can't flush this out in a half hour? I did and I survived. Clutch lever is adjusted like a vise grip tight-no play at all. Adjusted same. Rear tire 28 lbs, front 41 lbs. Corrected same. This bike sat on a lift there for 2 days before he paid in full for it and rode it home.I guess to stare at it after the oil change?? I dunno. The good news is it is now fine for the past nearly 2 months. Ok- next my bike. Throttle cables insanely loosey goosey, and when the cruise was activated a startling lurch forward until the slack was caught up. I adjusted same. Don't know how you could not feel that as part of the State inspection on the test ride or pre sale evaluation, Next up I check the oil. Cold check, I know you check it hot- don't roast me, Im too freakin old. That doesn't mean you can't check it cold and hopefully see halfway up the mark where it should be and then recheck when hot to confirm. To my surprise I find about 1.5 inches over the full hot mark on an ice cold bike. Hmmm. Me thinks this bike is a victim of the dreaded 2005/06 valve stem seal dilemma. I betcha the previous owner overfilled this puppy by about 3/4 of a quart to compensate for same.In reality all that does (did) was soak the air cleaner and make me smell oil burning on my first ride-- Thanks very much. Which means (to me) the dealer didn't change the oil or obviously even check it. So I change all 3 fluids to establish a baseline. Put in 3.6 +/- Qts of oil- 330 miles later I'm down about 1/3 to almost half a quart to the very bottom of the raised portion of the dipstick- Yikes- not good at all. Blipping the throttle after a few seconds of idling has the exhaust giving me a smoke puff like Joe Camel- Cough Cough... Bike also had brand new plugs in it. Uhh, because the oil passing the valve stem seals was fouling em out prematurely ?? Uh Yah Chief- I'd say likely so. Any way its back there being analyzed now and I hope for the best but I've been around too long to not know the likely cause on this generation of TC 88. Of course my brake fluid was also dark as roofing tar, but hey what do you expect? But I have to say- Does anyone check anything on used bikes or just flip em and hope for the best? To me, ALL vehicles on public roadways should be inspected and as roadworthy as your conscience and the law will allow. The failed, or less than adequate brakes, wipers, ball joints etc could be on that mini van headed at your family or you. Not to mention the money we spent on these bikes- we used a somewhat fast becoming antiquated concept, and actually worked to earn it. Neither of us won the lottery or had anyone die and leave us the money. Thanks for reading, Please ride safe and often.

The following users liked this post:
Bama Lee (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 07:39 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

I was complaining to the Sales Manager at my dealership last year about
the condition of my latest new bike purchase.
ALL of the chrome had greasy fingerprints and oil smears all over it, things not
adjusted properly etc.

He told me that it was hard to get conscientious clean-up people and the
mechanics they employed weren't much better.

I said; "that really makes me feel better."

Old 06-26-2019, 07:50 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,336 Likes on 2,219 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
He told me that it was hard to get conscientious clean-up people and the
mechanics they employed weren't much better.
The flat-rate pay system at its finest.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

This is why I buy from individuals instead of dealers. I check all of the above myself as you did to confirm all is well. I can tell a lot about the bike after meeting the owner. I don't get to meet the owner of the bike car or boat at the used dealer. I took my bike in for a runability problem and 2 months later I get it back filthy [it was clean when it went there] and more was wrong with it than when I took it in. even had the breather cover on upside down. which would allow water in. They did not fix the original problem either I feel for you. I hope it all works out well.

Last edited by svarnster; 06-26-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 PM
hogdad
Road Captain

While it may be difficult to find conscientious employees, as you stated it's no excuse if and when you are the service or general manager. I'd rather be the guy,whether you know me or not, who the next owner says " Well someone did this right". I have ran into owners of bikes and cars I've had in the past and no one, not one person, had anything bad to say about the vehicle(s) at all. At least not of my accord. When my head hits the pillow at night I'd rather know if I gave you and others on the road the benefit of new brake pads for a lousy 100 or 150 dollars (maybe) installed right before I traded it in, that's a good thing to me. Last i checked you can't take the money with you when your gone and I can tell you for sure- bad karma is a bitch. So my advice is to be a stand up guy whenever you can, it'll come back to you in spades.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:27 PM
hogdad
Road Captain

Worst part of these types things in my opinion, is the service personnel making you feel like your a pain in the ***. I told one guy- you know why I didn't complain about the trans jumping out of gear?? because it doesn't do that. If it didn't exhibit signs of needing repair in the areas I've indicated I wouldn't keep coming back here like a demented homing pigeon. I think my vernacular was above his comprehension level since the response I received was "Whatever".. Gotta love it.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 PM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by svarnster
This is why I buy from individuals instead of dealers. I check all of the above myself as you did to confirm all is well. I can tell a lot about the bike after meeting the owner. I don't get to meet the owner of the bike car or boat at the used dealer. I took my bike in for a runability problem and 2 months later I get it back filthy [it was clean when it went there] and more was wrong with it than when I took it in. even had the breather cover on upside down. which would allow water in. They did not fix the original problem either I feel for you. I hope it all works out well.
I agree with buying from a private owner. I think it sucks that a dealership wouldn't go over the bike at least for their reputation.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:19 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,270 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Allow me to introduce the crazy concept of paragraphs.

The following 5 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
95hdtlk (06-30-2019), cficole (07-01-2019), GOV5 (06-28-2019), petom (06-29-2019), Sauls (06-29-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Don’t worry, not all dealerships are like that. Some are though. Now you’re familiar with the bikes which is a good thing. Teach your son how to do the maintenance also.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:22 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Have to say that my dealer is great. All three of the bikes I've bought at Huntington Beach HD were immaculately prepped and squared away.

Quick Reply: High volume Dealers and used bikes