Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tempted by the fruit of another - LRS to RKS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts
Default Tempted by the fruit of another - LRS to RKS

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been eyeballing a Road King Special as a possible / maybe / could be, replacement for my Low Rider S. Just like going from a Sportster to a Dyna, I did so because I kept wanting to go just a little bit further than the bike would comfortably allow. I happen to mention this to the owner of our local dealership during a sponsored BBQ competition the wife and I were attending, and he says to stop by some time and give one a test ride, he’ll make me a great deal (as all salesmen say).

I made the mistake of doing just that this afternoon.

The first impressions were positive with the smoother reasonably quick 114, low center of gravity, bags, bars level with my shoulders which I found surprisingly comfortable, and the Scorched Orange paint job. Negatives were mostly things to adjust to, weight, not as nimble as the Dyna, didn’t have that immediate punch of torque as the 110, headlight looks meh, clutch was stiff and has 1/4 inch between engaged/disengaged. I had already pondered about putting in cams and getting the heads flowed this winter on the Low Rider but for not much more, I can get a bike that the wife might enjoying riding with me.

The kicker is that he’s marking the bike down way below MSRP and giving me damn near what I paid for my FXDLS brand new that there’s only $5k between the two numbers, I’m having a hard time saying no. So I guess the point of this post is to ask others that have moved from the Dyna platform (I’m looking at you MChad) to offer up any advice on the M8 world, or just to anyone that can speak of their own experience.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (07-10-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:16 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

I went from an FXD to a FLHR and never looked back. Being as this would be my main traveling mount, it seemed unwise to try to add enough stuff to the FXD to make it a touring bike. It's easier to just buy the basic touring bike and just go from there. Bags and windshield already there, cruise and ABS were must haves as well. Sounds like the guy is making you a great deal !

Old 07-04-2019, 07:30 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Over the past few weeks, I’ve been eyeballing a Road King Special as a possible / maybe / could be, replacement for my Low Rider S. Just like going from a Sportster to a Dyna, I did so because I kept wanting to go just a little bit further than the bike would comfortably allow. I happen to mention this to the owner of our local dealership during a sponsored BBQ competition the wife and I were attending, and he says to stop by some time and give one a test ride, he’ll make me a great deal (as all salesmen say).

I made the mistake of doing just that this afternoon.

The first impressions were positive with the smoother reasonably quick 114, low center of gravity, bags, bars level with my shoulders which I found surprisingly comfortable, and the Scorched Orange paint job. Negatives were mostly things to adjust to, weight, not as nimble as the Dyna, didn’t have that immediate punch of torque as the 110, headlight looks meh, clutch was stiff and has 1/4 inch between engaged/disengaged. I had already pondered about putting in cams and getting the heads flowed this winter on the Low Rider but for not much more, I can get a bike that the wife might enjoying riding with me.

The kicker is that he’s marking the bike down way below MSRP and giving me damn near what I paid for my FXDLS brand new that there’s only $5k between the two numbers, I’m having a hard time saying no. So I guess the point of this post is to ask others that have moved from the Dyna platform (I’m looking at you MChad) to offer up any advice on the M8 world, or just to anyone that can speak of their own experience.
So, what's the problem?

Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 AM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

Do it!

Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Tempted but the truth is discovered.

ThePaintPirate (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 04:35 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
So, what's the problem?
Honestly the problem is that I've traded in bikes so frequently, that I've never had to replace the battery in one yet. Once the newness, wears off I look for something different.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:27 PM
FatbobNeil
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am the same traded bikes regularly haven't had to change a battery either, recently went from a LRS to a RKS and love the new bike best Harley I have had

Last edited by FatbobNeil; 07-04-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-04-2019, 05:52 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Go for it and you may just find the bike you want to keep.

perki48 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Drunky
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's tough as both of those bikes are bikes i'd love to have in my garage, but if I could only have one it would be the RKS. I say go for it!

Old 07-04-2019, 06:15 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Honestly the problem is that I've traded in bikes so frequently, that I've never had to replace the battery in one yet. Once the newness, wears off I look for something different.
My point was you'll be getting a bike that your wife will be more comfortable being a passenger. I highlighted that in the quote.

Quick Reply: Tempted by the fruit of another - LRS to RKS