Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote battery disconnect????

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 03:10 PM
JRoD03
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Remote battery disconnect????

Hey guys, got a question. No doubt all of us fear walking out of the hotel or the restaurant to see a car parked where our bike USED TO BE. SEEN it happen at a hotel in Maryville Tennessee on a ride to Deals Gap. Poor fella walks out of the hotel with my wife and myself and his new HD was AWOL. Very heartbreaking.
My question is this; is there a way to rig up a remote controlled battery disconnect? I know I could hide a toggle and that may be the best route, just wondering what your thoughts were and if some of you have done this. A remote switch would be much more easily hidden, with the hopes that I would have a lazy thief on my hands.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Schulzy
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's my remote. I usually carry it with me on long trips. I think it would be a great deterrent.... 😉

The following users liked this post:
Sethc1020 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 03:20 PM
Schulzy
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

In all actuality, I'm not sure if you can disconnect the battery. Wouldn't it reset the em, radio, etc? On my 2003 FLHT it's not a problem. But the newer bikes I think it would be.....

Old 07-06-2019, 03:22 PM
Billy889
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Schulzy
In all actuality, I'm not sure if you can disconnect the battery. Wouldn't it reset the em, radio, etc? On my 2003 FLHT it's not a problem. But the newer bikes I think it would be.....
+1

Old 07-06-2019, 04:21 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Besides, I'm not sure how much of a deterrent a disconnected battery would be. Two or three guys can load one on a trailer in just a few minutes, running or not.

GalvTexGuy (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

If you have a big bike, consider a padlock in the front disk, with a telephone looking cord to the handgrip.
A battery disconnect wouldn't stop rolling it up on a trailer.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:36 PM
GittinThere
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What's wrong with a screaming siren? I'd think anybody with a brain the size of a knat would 'drop it and run'. My two pennies

Dale

twoglides13 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 04:39 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

I think someone makes a remote starter relay that has a fob. The name Gorilla comes to mind. I know they make them for autos too.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:41 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

if you had an audible siren on your bike and used a remote battery disconnect, the security would think someone was trying to steal the bike and the back up battery in the siren would allow it to scream. physical deterrents have always been the most reliable. also a good idea to keep up on your insurance. thieves suck, but unfortunately, there is always going to be someone who thinks that they are entitled to 'your' stuff.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Camarosx2
Cruiser
Received 187 Likes on 87 Posts

Here's my remote. I usually carry it with me on long trips. I think it would be a great deterrent.... 😉
That will only work if someone tries to steal it while you are sitting in traffic, most slimy thieves will roll it away in the middle of the night while everyone is asleep.

The best thing to do is to make it as difficult to move as possible, alarming disc locks are great because they make the bike impossible to roll more then a few feet and they attract attention, from the alarm, when the bikes moved. Also park in a well lit area if possible,

Quick Reply: Remote battery disconnect????