Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bad for the bike to brake with engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 AM
smallmann
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I engine brake all the time and have not noticed any ill effects.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:53 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

Even a automatic downshifts when you slow down.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:30 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 19special
Actually a jake holds the exhaust valve closed for a split second.

Engine breaking does nothing more than puts the slightest bit and I mean slightest bit of wear on the opposite side of everything used to accelerate.
Sorry but jakes don't hold the exhaust valves closed for a split second. The camshaft still moves the rocker shafts, this does not change. What changes is the exhaust valve is opened on the compression stroke by the jake brake. Turning the engine into an air pump, also the fuel is cut off as well.

The following users liked this post:
harkon (07-20-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Been downshifting everything I own and owned for many years - including many Harleys without a problem. Downshifting, if done smoothly and at appropriate RPM for the speed and circumstances does not measurably wear out anything that I have ever experienced and, as an added benefit to saving wear on brake components, keeps you in a gear that allows for acceleration should ot be needed or desired.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

If you don't engine brake, then go ride the mountains and soon you will have no brakes at all.
As you are in the air flying off a ridge, perhaps it will cross your mind that engine braking might have saved yo azz.
Quite simple, actually.
A buddy of mine has a Tesla that He rarely uses His brakes, He has it set where when He lifts the accelerator the motor brakes Him.
I guess some in here thinks He has that wrong, too.
To each their own.
What's next, it's bad on your headlights to use them?

The following 2 users liked this post by TheGrandPoohBah:
Dan89FLSTC (07-17-2019), skid_pimp (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:54 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

One question to ask, is how many people have any miles on their bike?

I am not saying bad, I dunno. But you get lots of threads like this, where people say I always do this or that, and it turns out they got 15-20k on their bike.

Last edited by Zerk; 07-17-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I
A buddy of mine has a Tesla that He rarely uses His brakes, He has it set where when He lifts the accelerator the motor brakes Him.
I guess some in here thinks He has that wrong, too.
?
You do know the tesla does not have an engine, and has nothing to do with any discussion what so ever in this thread, right?

The following 2 users liked this post by Zerk:
alarmdoug (07-20-2019), harkon (07-20-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:45 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
One question to ask, is how many people have any miles on their bike?

I am not saying bad, I dunno. But you get lots of threads like this, where people say I always do this or that, and it turns out they got 15-20k on their bike.
I very rarely respond to topics I have little knowledge on.

If I had to restrict this to motorcycles I don't have that much experience since I wasn't riding for over a 25 year period. I had 40,000 miles (65,000kms) on my 13 Electra Glide Classic before I traded it in. Between the enduro bikes and the street bikes of my youth I have to have well over 100,000 miles on them.

I have had many cars with 150,000-200,000 miles. I have driven many 10 ton tandem trucks, most with no jake brake, that had well over 4-500,000 miles. Mind you the clutch in the trucks were pretty much only used to start and stop. It's easier to match engines and transmission speeds than it is to double clutch.

I would say it's safe to say there are many more here that can attest to much larger numbers than what I have experienced.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zerk
You do know the tesla does not have an engine, and has nothing to do with any discussion what so ever in this thread, right?
Very true, it quite likely also has energy recovery, so when he takes his foot off the throttle the electric motor becomes a generator, to recharge the battery, hence also slows the vehicle.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I very rarely respond to topics I have little knowledge on.

If I had to restrict this to motorcycles I don't have that much experience since I wasn't riding for over a 25 year period. I had 40,000 miles (65,000kms) on my 13 Electra Glide Classic before I traded it in. Between the enduro bikes and the street bikes of my youth I have to have well over 100,000 miles on them.

I have had many cars with 150,000-200,000 miles. I have driven many 10 ton tandem trucks, most with no jake brake, that had well over 4-500,000 miles. Mind you the clutch in the trucks were pretty much only used to start and stop. It's easier to match engines and transmission speeds than it is to double clutch.

I would say it's safe to say there are many more here that can attest to much larger numbers than what I have experienced.
Yes, I don't have the truck experience, but I have put over 200,000 miles on a dozen cars without replacing the clutch. And Harleys have the advantage of the wet clutch that wears even less in normal conditions. Learning to apply a combination of engine braking and wheel braking will give the rider maximum performance braking at all speeds without adding much wear to the clutch or brakes. But, riders should develop the skill enough so their passenger isn't being knocked back and forth during slow-downs and stops. Full face helmets may be required until they get the hang of it.

Beary

Quick Reply: Is it bad for the bike to brake with engine?