Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to CVO or not????

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by sanham
Are the rushmore's better than 2018 or 19?
No. Rushmores fixed areas of the bike that were dated or problems like a beefier suspension, up-to-date electrical system, and better saddlebags. Rushmore updates are on all newer bikes.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 07-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts

More than one reason I would go with the CVO, my number one reason would be if I wanted a "custom" bike and not worry about changing a bunch of stuff on the bike. Most of it is there. 2. would be if I can afford one. If you are the type that likes to change everything to make it uniquely "yours" then I would find a non CVO and spend the rest of your money making it yours. I bought a regular 14 RK and installed the 14 RK CVO wheels, seat, dash, added some streetglide tins, some custom parts and now I have the bike just like I like it. Now...if it only had more power....

The following users liked this post:
sanham (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
More than one reason I would go with the CVO, my number one reason would be if I wanted a "custom" bike and not worry about changing a bunch of stuff on the bike. Most of it is there. 2. would be if I can afford one. If you are the type that likes to change everything to make it uniquely "yours" then I would find a non CVO and spend the rest of your money making it yours. I bought a regular 14 RK and installed the 14 RK CVO wheels, seat, dash, added some streetglide tins, some custom parts and now I have the bike just like I like it. Now...if it only had more power....
This is good advice.

Pretty much the only thing CVO on my 2010 FLHXSE is the paint, which is what drew me to it when I bought it.

Especially since it's now a Road Glide. And I've replaced so much on it besides the front end...

Hell, I'm on my third engine in it.

CVO's are good for what they are, but I have since learned that I end up changing so much anyway that I find garage queens for a fraction of the price and give them my own personal CVO touch. I don't care about the resale in doing it that way either - have fun, that's what it's all about.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:51 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by T Man
Not sure if resale or trade-in value means anything to you, but the CVO will of course command more if you ever trade for newer down the road. I'd get the CVO if your wallet can handle it.
Of course it will command more. It cost more. I don't think they hold as much used value as you think they do.

I looked up '14 Limited, CVO and non-CVO on NADA. The CVO was listed at $18K lower than its original price of $39K. The non-CVO was listed at $11K lower than its original price of $27K.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:09 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have 2 road kings, 02 FF and a 14 CVO. I love them both! But, I’m am really disappointed with the moco over the CVO. At almost 50,000 miles on a bike trip I have shavings in the oil, it got to ride home in a u haul. Dealer danced around the fact that the cranks are weak in the 110s. I will order a 124 s and s in the morning.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Personally I think the '14 CVO Road King was one of the best-looking bikes the MoCo has produced recently. Is it the green/black or the orange/black? Either one would work for me.

That bike will have the 110 engine so the first thing you'll want to do is get those crap stock lifters out of there and install some good aftermarket ones. Well-documented weak spot on that engine.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:45 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority here, but after working with a friend on his GF's 15 CVO SG both of us agreed we wouldn't pay much if any premium for a CVO. Some nice cosmetic upgrades, but personally I'd rather do my own thing and select the specific parts I like, as mentioned above. 110 engine has good power but probably less than most cammed/tuned 107 builds. Some really strange, trivial stuff was different (more expensive, special order) than std model, and some cosmetic "upgrades" were chintzy chromed plastic parts. If you really like the look of the CVO as is and think you'll be satisfied w/110 in relatively stock/stage 1 form then might be worth it. Seems like there should be a larger difference in price between the bikes you're comparing, and would hazard a guess the older bike is priced too high based on low mileage that (per earlier comment) isn't even necessarily an advantage.

Last edited by ratpick; 07-19-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:52 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Just a warning from a lesson I learned from buying a cvo...after you own one you'll never be able to go back to a standard production bike. Look at it this way...youre dating a wicked hot girl...a definite 10, do you think you'll be happy if your next girl is a 5? Cvo all day.
Now this right here is the funniest post I have ever read for a motor cycle. The only thing you described is a very high maintenance bike.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ratpick
Guess I'm in the minority here, but after working with a friend on his GF's 15 CVO SG both of us agreed we wouldn't pay much if any premium for a CVO. Some nice cosmetic upgrades, but personally I'd rather do my own thing and select the specific parts I like, as mentioned above. 110 engine has good power but probably less than most cammed/tuned 107 builds. Some really strange, trivial stuff was different (more expensive, special order) than std model, and some cosmetic "upgrades" were chintzy chromed plastic parts. If you really like the look of the CVO as is and think you'll be satisfied w/110 in relatively stock/stage 1 form then might be worth it. Seems like there should be a larger difference in price between the bikes you're comparing, and would hazard a guess the older bike is priced too high based on low mileage that (per earlier comment) isn't even necessarily an advantage.
I agree sellers inflate too much value on low miles bikes. But at the same time, they attract a lot of interest, which is the key to selling high end bikes.

My experience with Harley buyers perception of mileage is something like this: Below 10,000 miles is the same as new and considered a good deal at Bluebook retail value,,,, 15,000 to 10,000 is slightly used, but still considered new with a fair price slightly below retail value,,,, 20,000 to 15,000 is an experienced low risk bike with some bargaining leverage,,,, 20,000 to 30,000 miles is risky high miles bike and should be priced no more than trade-in value. 30,000 and above is a warn out bike with a start asking price of at least 10% below trade-in value.

In general, most buyer first impression of the overall condition of a bike comes from the mileage, not age. That is why pictures are so important for bikes with more than 10,000 miles.

I know of one biker who buys a new Harley every two years and looses almost no money. His sells below 10,000 miles and DOES NOT do any mods past a stage 1. Even then the exhaust must be tasteful in looks and sound.

CVOs pushes those perceptions up a little because they start with high new bike price.

Beary

Old 07-26-2019, 01:16 PM
sanham
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to every one.....

so the final decision was CVO,,,

The following users liked this post:
Larry the Landlord (07-26-2019)

Quick Reply: to CVO or not????