Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 UC - Cruise INO - planning a trip soon. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 PM
wharfcreek
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default '07 UC - Cruise INO - planning a trip soon. HELP!

Last fall I purchased a 'well whipped' '07 Ultra Classic. After a LOT of repairs and de-bugging, I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I bought this bike specifically for road trips, one of which I have planned for about 3 weeks from now....about 4000 miles from here in Baltimore, to Niagara Falls, then through Detroit, up in to Michigan's upper peninsula, then down the west coast of Michigan towards Chicago, then back home.. Though not new to long distance rides, I am new to is 'cruise control'. I think I'm working the system properly, but maybe not? I can turn the system 'on', and work the handle bar switch every which way, but I can't get it to engage at all. I'm pretty sure it's a malfunction and not just operator error. (thought it still could be) The rocker switch in the faring lights up when turned on, and the set/resume switch seems to operate 'mechanically' as it should, but not sure about 'electrically'. I've checked to see that both the front and rear brake switches are working properly, and they are..... at least the brake light goes on and off as it should. This is where it gets fuzzy for me. I was told something about a 'cable' switch? Also, I don't see any light in the instruments saying that cruise is 'on'..... or enabled. So, I'm wondering if this is a sign of a bad switch, or maybe a module, maybe a blown fuse, or what? I'm pretty sure there's someone out there with a WHOLE LOT more knowledge about this subject than I've got, so if I can get some further diagnostic assistance and maybe get pointed in the right diagnostic direction that would be most helpful!! The local HD dealer wants $120 just to check it out......which I'd rather spend on my upcoming trip. Many thanks! Tom

Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

When you turn the cc switch you should get an amber cc light in the bottom of the tach. It looks like a tiny speedometer with an arrow pointing at it. If you don't have that you won't be able to set the cc.
I don't remember the trouble shooting procedure off hand but it's in the factory service manual. Once you get the amber cc light there are still several things that can keep it from engaging. The two that seem to most often happen are the brake lights and the switch in the throttle return cable. That switch is on the right side, under the tank. Look for a connector that attaches to the return cable. It's pretty obvious. You can disconnect it and the only effect to the cc is it won't disengage with throttle roll off.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 AM
wharfcreek
Cruiser

Well, I get no amber light in the speedo. So, looks like that's what I've got to track down first. Hopefully someone can provide some points to look at. I'm told the module is no longer serviced by HD, which means I've got to go looking for a 'used' one. With only a few weeks before departing on my trip, I'd really like to get this resolved prior to leaving. Thanks for the advice above. At least I now know there's a break in the system someplace and it's not just 'operator error'. Tom

Old 07-17-2019, 09:50 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 259 Likes on 221 Posts

Don't know about CC, but u would be better off skipping Detroit on your trip unless someone u want to see there. You're be better of coming into Michigan at Port Huron then ride up the lake shore of lake Huron to the UP . Threw Canada it's a straight shot to Port Huron. You can see more shore line on M25 then after the thumb it will be M23 to the Mighty Mac. This side is way better than Lake Michigan side. If you do stop at Lefty's in cederville Mi. Small place in the tip of the thumb

Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 AM
wharfcreek
Cruiser

XC, I've got a buddy I'm stopping to see in Scranton, PA, then another one up in the Niagara Falls area. I thought about crossing through Canada, but the new border laws make the need for a passport a necessary thing. Mine is expired, and the time it will take to get it renewed just isn't there. So, from Niagara, it will be on west along the south shore of Lake Erie, then a stop in Huron, Ohio where I used to live and still have friends. Then Detroit, which is home to me, and my 3 kids and their spouses, and my 3 grand kids are all there. So, Detroit is more the destination than just a part of the journey. With my family and friends scattered all over Michigan, I could spend a few weeks riding around and not get to everyone on my lists. But, I do see a lot of people while there, though visiting my children and grand children is my priority. Visiting my brother and his family in Charlevoix, going to my son's Tree House estate in Northern Michigan, and seeing a few good 'ole friends from the distant past is always rewarding as well. I'm just not sure how long or how far I want to stretch the trip. Last year I returned home from Charlevoix, Michigan, riding through Grand Haven, Mi, then Jackson, MI, then down to Toledo, Ohio, then on through to PIttsburgh, PA for the night. With my routing, that was about a 700 mile day, returning home to Baltimore the next day. This year I'm thinking I may want to extend the westward part of the trip and maybe go through Chicago and then up into the Green Bay Wisconsin area. A few years back I took that Car Ferry from Muskegon, Mi over to Milwaukee while riding my Road King. That was an interesting thing to do!! Anyway, these 'epic' rides are fun.....and doing them 'solo' presents a lot of possibilities and options that would otherwise be limited by having others along on the ride. I love riding in groups, and believe it's really a lot safer to do so. Even with just one fellow biker I believe there's strength in numbers. But, I can only imagine how much fun someone else might be having while sleeping in a tree house vs a hotel bed! So, if I'm looking to spend a few days with my son and with someone else along....I might have to cut that short. This way......on my own..... I can go and stay where I want, as long as I want (or maybe I should rephrase that to as long as I'm invited!!). For the record, growing up in Michigan, I know that area that you're referring to.....and LOTS of good riding up there! I'm so burnt out on riding in Maryland that I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a household move just to find some new roads to travel. That.....and these 98 degree days are killing me!!.....lol Hey...... if you're around, maybe we can do a beverage somewhere 'on the road' in mid-Michigan! Thanks for the comments XC....... I do appreciate them. Back to the Cruise Problem........ Tom D.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 PM
wharfcreek
Cruiser

Update: I just double checked and found that I"m wrong.....the amber Cruise indicator DOES come on in the Tach when the on/off switch is in the 'on' position. So, I guess that's good news? The question is: What do I do now?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:33 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior

Try pushing down, that's how the new one's are. Checked out on my last test ride.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 PM
wharfcreek
Cruiser

XC..... "..pushing down...."? Not sure what you mean by that. Also, does anyone know if this 'amber' light in the Tach.....does it turn colors as part of the diagnostic process, or does it just stay 'amber'? Seems later systems have a cruise light that goes 'red' and 'green'. Wouldn't that be nice...

Making progress......

Thanks!! Tom

Old 07-17-2019, 10:17 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior

The switch on the new bikes you push in to turn it on, then u push it down to set it, it's like a toggle.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:15 PM
rubberguy
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

i believe it's amber when turned on by the cruise switch, then will turn green when activated by the hand controls

Quick Reply: '07 UC - Cruise INO - planning a trip soon. HELP!