Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tying down an ultra classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM
kmayovols
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tying down an ultra classic

What is the best way to tie down a dresser in an enclosed trailer? Thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Tying down an ultra classic

Please tell me your not going to trailer your Ultra to Sturgis. There has been a thread on this once before, I think the best way is up under the steering nuckle with a set of soft hooks. Do a search on this and you'll find some pics!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Rodent
Road Master

Like the old saying goes: Trailering your bike to an event is like bringing sand to a beach.
Heres a few comments:
https://www.hdforums.com/m_357618/tm.htm

Old 07-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

I would suggest starting with a wheel chock and then just secure it as you see fit and makes you happy. I have trailered mine a couple of time and I am going to get a wheel chock because the front will slide out and that will cause the bike to lean of go all the way over... How do I know this??? I have to touch up the fairing where it decided to lean on the front door..

Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Bike-Pro bike chock for my Ultra in an enclosed 7X14 Featherlight trailer. http://www.discountramps.com/bike-pro-wheel-chock.htm Just drive onto it and it locks. It is removable, allowing me to use the trailer for other things.Use four HD ratchet tie downs with the hog ties on the front frame neck and across the crash bars, and the rear passenger foot rest supports. Also have fold down tie downs, again so I can use the trailer for other things. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_13208_13208

Check out this info on securing your bike to your trailer. http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=15&a mp;Itemid=43

Hope this helps.

Steve

Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Remove the two little wing air deflectors on side of fairing, put soft ties around handle bars, attach ratcht straps and tie down to floor hooks that are forward and say 25 degrees out. Front wheel needs a chock or you could just nail down a 2x4 to butt the wheel against.
in the back you can attach to the forward end of the saddle bag guards.

Don't over do it on front staps, you just need to pull down the front end a few inches. If you over do it you risk breaking the strap.

If you are installing the floor hooks yourself make sure to thru bolt them.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM
chesterbud
Cruiser

I trailer mine in a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Wheel chock is a must. I put cinch starps around the frame downtubes just over the engine guard mounts. From those I use ratchet straps to tie downs on the floor of the trailer. These tie down should be just ahead of the bike frontaxle. Compress your forks about half way. To be safe I put a second set of tie downs around the fork tubes just over the front fender mounts. This is just in case one of the straps breaks. I then tie ratchet straps around the passenger floorboards down to tie downs in the floor forward of the floorboardsand finally I tie the saddlebag rails down to tie downs in the floor behind the bike. I also tie the front tire into the wheel chock.

I'm **** about making sure the bike is secure and I towed it over 4000 miles about a month ago with no issues.

Personally I don't like tying a bike by the handlebars in case a steering bushing gets damaged.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:49 PM
Bigcoomz
Stage I
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rodent
Like the old saying goes: Trailering your bike to an event is like bringing sand to a beach.
Heres a few comments:
https://www.hdforums.com/m_357618/tm.htm
For my purposes its trailering it home in the middle of winter. Its in storage. The temperature is -35 thats below zero to the uninformed. Im not riding it home to its new home. Its going in a trailer to keep the salt and sand off it. But thanks for assuming. 😉

The following 2 users liked this post by Bigcoomz:
400web (02-12-2021), Long lonesome highwayman (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 03:02 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcoomz
For my purposes its trailering it home in the middle of winter. Its in storage. The temperature is -35 thats below zero to the uninformed. Im not riding it home to its new home. Its going in a trailer to keep the salt and sand off it. But thanks for assuming. 😉
First, you’re replying to someone that hasn’t been seen in over 11 years and, second, you’re necroposting in an almost 14-year-old thread. Congratulations on an awesome first post! Welcome to HDF! 🙄

The following 3 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
dajogejr (02-12-2021), Harfar (02-12-2021), LongFastRide (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 03:59 PM
LongFastRide
Advanced
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Biggest laugh of the day

The following users liked this post:
dajogejr (02-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Tying down an ultra classic