Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Floating rotors (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/135363-floating-rotors.html)

SIM 07-30-2007 08:18 AM

Floating rotors

OK, I must admit I have no idea what a floating rotor is or what the benefits are over stock. Can someone educate me?

kdietz 07-30-2007 08:33 AM

RE: Floating rotors

One of the best mods that I've added to my bike.....quiet, smooth and better stopping power....I did all three rotors and changed to Lyndall z pads....big difference

I don't know the mechanics of it all.....just the final result

JPstreetglide 07-30-2007 09:05 AM

The floating rotors have a less chance of warping due to heat from braking due to the fact that the stock rotors are one piece and the floaters are 2 piece.

Mick 07-30-2007 09:20 AM

The floating rotors are 2 piece and held together with what look like big hollow rivets between the center hub and outer (braking) surface.
Floaters are suppose to be quieter and sometimes they are.
The solid (1 piece) rotors are more apt to "ring" making a squeal more pronounced , if they are prone to squealing.
The floaters have somewhat of a noise dampening effect to them usually.
The bikes should probably come from the factory with the floaters.
A buddie of mine has a V-Star with floaters and his brakes squeal worse than mine do at times.
So , sometimes they work.....
Mick

genedjr 07-30-2007 10:36 AM

OK, the description is correct. A floating rotor is a two piece arrangement as described. The purpose is to allow the rotor to "center" in the caliper so there is even braking pressure on both sides of the rotor.

Solid rotors "seem" to squeel more. There are other posts that describe squeel and various ways of dealing with it.

So in theory (and if racing is any indication in practice) a floating rotor and fixed caliper will give you better braking performance than a fix rotor and caliper.

And yes there are floating calipers as well. Your car prolly has that approach.

...gene

DI75 07-30-2007 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: kdietz

One of the best mods that I've added to my bike.....quiet, smooth and better stopping power....I did all three rotors and changed to Lyndall z pads....big difference

[sm=goodidea.gif]
100% correct!!

SIM 07-30-2007 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: kdietz

What did the upgrade cost ya?

kdietz 07-30-2007 11:38 AM

From memory

Rotors from Zanotti's.....approx. $90 ea.

Pads........approx. $45 ea wheel

I did all three disc's, but a lot only do the front

bulldogmoe7 07-30-2007 11:47 AM

i was always wondering the benifits of those. i think i want a pair now

03WG 07-30-2007 12:56 PM

What floating rotors are best for our bikes??