Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wheels for Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 AM
bowhnter7
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels for Street Glide?

I see all the pic's of you guys with the 18 or 21 inch wheels up front and I really like the look. If you run the 21 up front do you have to change the fender, what size wheel are you running in the back, what size tires, did you have to lower the bike, any other mods to the bike to make it work, do the wheels come with the bearings, any other cost to incur? Basically would you tell me all I need to know to do this, the best place to get the wheels and about how much it will cost, oh and how did it change the handling or ride? This is for my 07 Street Glide.

Thanks Guys!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aftermarket wheels for Street Glide?

There are a ton of posts on this, if you did a search you will get plenty of hits. But since I love to talk about my bike, I'll just say that it handles better then before, the ride is about the same. I did lower the front end 1". I am running 21 X 3.5 in the front and a 18X4.25 in the rear, wrapped in Metzlers. I had to modify the rear mounting hole of the original fender to allow the rear of the fender to be moved upward slightly to allow clearance for highway speeds. Price will vary depending on if you want chrome rims or just polished aluminum ect. check around. HOGPRO is a sponser here, and Shooter64 also sells wheels and tires.
Good luck,
Rob

Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 AM
cwilks
Banned

use the search function (top of page) and you'll find tons of info.............been talked about ALOT

Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
bowhnter7
Banned

ORIGINAL: cwilks

use the search function (top of page) and you'll find tons of info.............been talked about ALOT
I did the search, I was looking for specifics. I am new, not sure if I can just call lets say HogPro and order the tires and wheels and have em balaned and put on or if there is more to it. So many choices of wheel, tire size, lowering or not, alxes changing, clearance problems, fender changes, etc. Basically I really like the look, trying to find out how to do it and a ballpark total cost. Maybe I should just call them and ask them all the stupid questions

Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: bowhnter7

I did the search, I was looking for specifics. I am new, not sure if I can just call lets say HogPro and order the tires and wheels and have em balaned and put on or if there is more to it. So many choices of wheel, tire size, lowering or not, alxes changing, clearance problems, fender changes, etc. Basically I really like the look, trying to find out how to do it and a ballpark total cost. Maybe I should just call them and ask them all the stupid questions
Call Jerry or Phil at Hogpro. They are fantastic and will spend time with you on the phone answering any and all questions you may have. Ask anything else in here if you want too.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 AM
fishafly
Road Master

Maybe I should just call them and ask them all the stupid questions
Didn't yer mama teach you there are no stoopid questions!!I know where you're comin from, sometimes you just want an answer to your specific question... No problem... And as Flyboy said.. we all love to talk about our bikes so no worries..

I got my front from Shooter64 here on this forum and my rear from HogPro... I run a 21 front with a 120/70 Metz ME880.. pretty much the standard tire for this application it seems.. The rear is an 18/4.25 also with Metz rubber... I got that from HogPro for about $1200 and change... with the tire mounted and balanced..I installed it myself... that included CA. sales tax. But not matching rotors... add 275 a pop for those.. I did not
get a rear rotor as you can't really see it..
I would say depending on what wheels and if you are gonnago to a singledisc up front... it would break down to somethin like this cost wise...

Front wheel... 950
2rotors 550..
tire.. 180?
Rear wheel 950
tire 180

with tax and install your probaly lookin at 3G's easy... But what do I know...

I DID NOT raise my front fender... But I should have!!! While installing my new rotor and 6 piston brake I noticed a nice crease in it where the heat from the wheel buckled the paint[:@]... If I didn't have a new aftermarket fender waitin for paint.. I'd be really pist...

Good luck...

Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

call the boys at HogPro---save yourself some cash and do it right the 1st time.

I got my Diablo 21/18 set up from HogPro the customer service is outstanding

Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Fish pretty well nailed it for you. I am also running a 21 x 3.5 with a 120/70/21 Metzler ME880 up front and an 18 x 4.25 with a 150/70/18 Metzler ME880 in the rear.

As far as the front fender goes, I am replacing the stock fender brackets with the ones for a 21" from Native Custom Baggers. I tried enlarging/slotting the rear mounting holes on the fender and could never get the spacing I wanted. I just wasn't comfortable with less than .25" clearance in some places. I also bubbled the clear coat on my front fender during this experiment. In fact, I have been riding around with no front fender for the past month. It looks pretty cool, but I digress.

I also lowered the front 1" to bring the front end back closer to stock. The 21" set-up is about 3" taller in overall diameter than a stock 16" set-up. On a SG, I think it is even more important to lower the front because the rear suspension is lowered from the factory.

Depending on what wheel make and style you want, Shooter64 is tough to beat on price. I got my wheels/tires from him. I also hear good things about HogPro.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 PM
bowhnter7
Banned

Thanks guys, I called and talked to both Robert at Hogpro and Shooter64. I got all my questions answered one way or the other.