Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding clutch in or put in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,149 Likes on 5,594 Posts

I never put it in Neutral at stop lights. As a matter of fact I use every stop as an opportunity to do a long, smoky burn out. Then as soon as the light turns green I let off the brake handle and lay a patch of rubber as I ride a cool *** wheelie through the intersection.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

WOW, this thread started in 2007. You can tell it's winter when we start digging up threads this old.
I'm always in 1st at a light. MSF graduate.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South
WOW, this thread started in 2007. You can tell it's winter when we start digging up threads this old.
I'm always in 1st at a light. MSF graduate.
Is this subject really outdated?

Funny, some folks complain about multiple threads on the same subject (oil), and some complain of continuing old threads. New riders join the forum everyday, which way should they ask their question?

We are all free to choose the discussions we join. What does that say about us when we whine about our choice.

Beary

The following 2 users liked this post by beary:
Bubba Zanetti (01-24-2019), whiskeyfire (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:06 PM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
This has to be close to the oldest thread resurrection on this forum. Mr. Peabody, please set the way back machine to 2007.
Well, maybe - but I learned something. Always put it in N at a stop light, may stop that now. thanks.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

If you ever wonder why on a ATV when down shifting it goes into neutral as the last position. Then when you down shift with a motorcycle it’s in first gear. The manufacturer might make both vehicle lines and a few use the same engine. This is because a off road vehicle can go into neutral when it comes to a stop with no expectations of traffic approaching and they want a road vehicle to come down to first gear just incase it needs to make an escape from a potential crash that’s about to occur. I leave mine in 1st unless a line of cars stack up behind me and it’s a long wait.

Last edited by K Melancon; 01-23-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:57 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Mine stays in gear except for when i park it, with the exception of a heavy traffic jam, I will put in in neutral form time to time to give my hand a break. Seems harder on the bike to keep clunking it in and out of gear in stop and go type situations.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Absolutely in gear. Does not common sense tell you this is the safest way to remain while at a light?

Old 01-23-2019, 01:23 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,378 Likes on 2,645 Posts

I place my bike in neutral with the kick stand down.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Mines in gear, but after a few vehicles have stopped behind me and its a long light, it goes in neutral. Barnett clutch spring is a workout.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
'sposed to keep it in gear.. so if some idjit comes barrel-*** down on ya in your rear view, you can spot him and get the F out of there (even if you need to blow the light) and not get run over. (which, by the way I have seen happen and a biker get hit.)

If I'm at a light and the car behind me is already stopped and it's a long light, I may put it in neutral.. but the MSF purist out there would call me bad for doing that.
Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
Gheesh...lots of paranoia out there..after reading all these posts my new technique at a light is...stop, shut it off...push to the side of the road...aim it right or left...fill out my will...light some flares..and wait for light to change...then jump on and got to the next light......my God...what's the point of ridin if it's done with all that fear.....neutral,first..who cares....whatever you're most comfortable with is best...
Lol.. Yes paranoia... This..

Quick Reply: Holding clutch in or put in neutral