Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing forward and rear detachable docking kits

Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Installed forward and rear detachable docking kits

ORIGINAL: sifularson

ORIGINAL: s8norr

I'm curious as to how long it took ya. We had a post string going the other day on the forumabout putting the quick detach sissy bar on and I think the going record time was just under 4 hours. We were looking intomaking a vest patch for those who have suffered through the job. Great pics though, looks like you got it figured out. Enjoy!

-Nick
It took me 3 hours. That does not count the time reading the directions (yes I did). I also used the directions and pictures from this forum for mounting the front kit. (can't find them now. Anyone?). I did not have pictures for the rear kit. The toughest thing is the alignment issue once you take out the bolts. I knew this so I tried taking the bolts out ONE AT A TIME. This worked fairly well. I also used one of my Snap-on alignment bars to get the holes lines back up. Seemed to be more of an issue on the high side. I will take some better pics later of the mounts with the saddlebags and sissy bar off so you can see how it all looks installed. This will help those who try this in the future, I'm sure.

As far as a patch goes . . . Anyone who does this probably deserves one. It is a PITA job. I kinda liked it though. A challenge. Me against Harley. I won!
Steve
[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/BAAFA15B08144C2C98CED43CB334AD4C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
bowhnter7
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ClutchCargopa

By the way I agree the bracket should be powder coated or at an extra cost chromed. I am going to disassemble my docking kit this winter and get the bracket plated. I noted my bracket is already rusting and the bike has never been in the rain. The rust is coming from washing down the bike.
This is what I am going to do.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
gordon188
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting ready to install my docking hardware, I don't have any instructions, can you post a pic or two of what it looks like without the seat and bags.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gordon188

I am getting ready to install my docking hardware, I don't have any instructions, can you post a pic or two of what it looks like without the seat and bags.
Here are some more pics. PM me if anything isn't clear. Most of the pics are for the right side except for thetemporary antenna mount. You may be able to come up with a better place to mount the antenna. Let me know if you do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/A0BC653E323242F181973F8DDD90611D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/D0D67CFD14ED4DC799253CA6A3A454E1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/8C15D91BA61748A6BE18C326C696F72A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Here is how I had to mount the antenna until I get the hidden fairing antenna.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/C55A0AA13E6E413CBE74D2A3F2BD4D4D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/87DB6202361A4F5FB766B14F69FA52C7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Here is a pic with both the sissy bar and rack installed. Of course I won't have the rack on except when I am running the tour pak. I'm looking for a used vivid black tour pak. Anyone?????

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/E74FE248D0FB48D8AA9F29C8C0D0E8F4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bowhnter7

ORIGINAL: ClutchCargopa

By the way I agree the bracket should be powder coated or at an extra cost chromed. I am going to disassemble my docking kit this winter and get the bracket plated. I noted my bracket is already rusting and the bike has never been in the rain. The rust is coming from washing down the bike.
This is what I am going to do.
I agree too. For the price, it should be gold plated. Maybe they will buy back all the extra parts I didn't need. Bolts, washers, spacers . . .all for other models.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Since I use the two-up detachable hardware infrequently and don't care for the "look" of those chrome brackets sticking out the rear of the bike, I modified the mounting and placed the top of the bracketto the exterior of the black bracket. The front edge ofeach chrome bracket had to be ground some to mount on the outside of the black brackets but the brackets now come off and go on quickly now. Here's a little more information on the change:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2074802/tm.htm

Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 PM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Since I use the two-up detachable hardware infrequently and don't care for the "look" of those chrome brackets sticking out the rear of the bike, I modified the mounting and placed the top of the bracketto the exterior of the black bracket. The front edge ofeach chrome bracket had to be ground some to mount on the outside of the black brackets but the brackets now come off and go on quickly now. Here's a little more information on the change:

You have done exactly what I want do you have any pics with the pak on and with it off so I can see the fender area?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Also my other question is what did you do about the antennna since you do not use the Tour Pak very often?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing forward and rear detachable docking kits