Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Installing forward and rear detachable docking kits (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/143037-installing-forward-and-rear-detachable-docking-kits.html)

sifularson 08-22-2007 12:26 AM

Installing forward and rear detachable docking kits

Installed both kits tonight. Now I can put on the sissy bar/backrest for my wife. This goes on the forward docking position. I also installed the rear kit so I can put on a tour pak rack. I have the rack but I'm waiting to get the tour pak. They are expensive as everyone knows. The install took some time and as we all know, the Harley directions must have been written by a desk jocky. I ended up using a combination of the directions and a very good set of pictures and directions that I found here. (Thanks). I am attaching a few pictures of the sissy bar and the rack. I actually installed both at the same time. I may use the rack to carry some gear until I get my (gold plated) tour pak.

One thing to note for fellow RG riders: the antenna will not go back in the stock location. I had to move it down and space it out to get it back on. No big deal because it's coming off soon in favor of a hidden fairing antenna.

Another note: You will end up with a pile of extra bolts, spacers, and washers when you are done. It's too bad that I had to pay for them. The kits fit several models so they include hardware for all of them.

If anyone is looking to do this job, you must be patient. It also helps to have a good set of tools. If you have neither, the best bet would be to let the dealer install it for you. I was a mechanic for 20 years (until 99) so I have both. Well at least I have the tools . . .;)

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/6230EFA9E6964EC88EC2063753FB5AFA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/9FD9144FC46B4DBD83D910BC10D69164.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/6E0C89A8A74C4DC581E7301451F723EC.jpg[/IMG]

cdradar 08-22-2007 03:14 AM

RE: Installed forward and rear detachable docking kits

When I did the docking kit install on my 07 Road King Classic, I struggled with fitment for a couple of hours, after removing the stock hardware everything shifted and the new bolts would not align. This was on the side stand. I reached my frustration level and had a couple of beers. I went back out to the garage and put the bike on the lift, brought it up just high enough so the tires were still touching the floor. After relieving the stresses, all went together like a dream. This may help those who do it themselves.

s8norr 08-22-2007 04:19 AM

I'm curious as to how long it took ya. We had a post string going the other day on the forumabout putting the quick detach sissy bar on and I think the going record time was just under 4 hours. We were looking intomaking a vest patch for those who have suffered through the job.:D Great pics though, looks like you got it figured out. Enjoy!

-Nick

Edmo 08-22-2007 06:19 AM

I remember mine from about a year ago. PITA!!! I think it took me about 5 hours..

Edmo

jharanin 08-22-2007 06:37 AM

I had the same experience...as soon as I took out the OE bolts everything shifted. It took me a couple of tries and an extra set of hands but finally got it all together. Wish I had thought about using the jack then...

ORIGINAL: cdradar

When I did the docking kit install on my 07 Road King Classic, I struggled with fitment for a couple of hours, after removing the stock hardware everything shifted and the new bolts would not align. This was on the side stand. I reached my frustration level and had a couple of beers. I went back out to the garage and put the bike on the lift, brought it up just high enough so the tires were still touching the floor. After relieving the stresses, all went together like a dream. This may help those who do it themselves.

bowhnter7 08-22-2007 06:51 AM

How did you like the nice greenish color of the mounting plate. Man as much as you pay for that stuff you would at least think it would be powder coated black or maybe even chomed.

I just put mine on a few weeks ago, I think it took about 3 1/2 beers worth of time.

I am Jerry 08-22-2007 07:05 AM

Alignment was my problem too, well other than the instructions being wrong from step one. I remember it said to put the lettering to the outside on both plates. That couldn't be done so I knew I was in for a treat. Took me a little over 3 cuss filled hours and a couple of trips in the house to get what's her nameto help me.

HarlyFan 08-22-2007 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: sifularson

Installed both kits tonight. Now I can put on the sissy bar/backrest for my wife. This goes on the forward docking position. I also installed the rear kit so I can put on a tour pak rack. I have the rack but I'm waiting to get the tour pak. They are expensive as everyone knows. The install took some time and as we all know, the Harley directions must have been written by a desk jocky. I ended up using a combination of the directions and a very good set of pictures and directions that I found here. (Thanks). I am attaching a few pictures of the sissy bar and the rack. I actually installed both at the same time. I may use the rack to carry some gear until I get my (gold plated) tour pak.

One thing to note for fellow RG riders: the antenna will not go back in the stock location. I had to move it down and space it out to get it back on. No big deal because it's coming off soon in favor of a hidden fairing antenna.

Another note: You will end up with a pile of extra bolts, spacers, and washers when you are done. It's too bad that I had to pay for them. The kits fit several models so they include hardware for all of them.

If anyone is looking to do this job, you must be patient. It also helps to have a good set of tools. If you have neither, the best bet would be to let the dealer install it for you. I was a mechanic for 20 years (until 99) so I have both. Well at least I have the tools . . .;)

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/6230EFA9E6964EC88EC2063753FB5AFA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/9FD9144FC46B4DBD83D910BC10D69164.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/6E0C89A8A74C4DC581E7301451F723EC.jpg[/IMG]

I have a couple of questions regarding your installation. I have a 08 FLHX ordered and I am doing the front detach for a backrest and the rear for a Chopped Tour-pak. I am trying to achieve the best of all worlds HA-HA. I want the CLEAN look when I dont want to use either of them can you post a pic without either of the detachables. I have never used detachables so I am not really familiar with the hardware. The last of your pics I assume is the base plate for your King Tour-pak.

ClutchCargopa 08-22-2007 07:28 AM

I performed this install a few months ago, the easiest way is to put the bike on a jack with the wheels just touching and use another floor jack under the pipes(with a rag on the floor jack to stop from scratching the pipes.)Jack up the floor jack to releave the preasure of the assemblies and the kit goes in like a dream. It appears there is a lot of stress on the fasteners from the factory at the fender and the pipe brackets attached. Until I found this process I was already into it for 4 hours. With this method I think an hour would be enough time.
By the way I agree the bracket should be powder coated or at an extra cost chromed. I am going to disassemble my docking kit this winter and get the bracket plated. I noted my bracket is already rusting and the bike has never been in the rain. The rust is coming from washing down the bike.

sifularson 08-22-2007 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: s8norr

I'm curious as to how long it took ya. We had a post string going the other day on the forumabout putting the quick detach sissy bar on and I think the going record time was just under 4 hours. We were looking intomaking a vest patch for those who have suffered through the job.:D Great pics though, looks like you got it figured out. Enjoy!

-Nick
It took me 3 hours. That does not count the time reading the directions (yes I did). I also used the directions and pictures from this forum for mounting the front kit. (can't find them now. Anyone?). I did not have pictures for the rear kit. The toughest thing is the alignment issue once you take out the bolts. I know this so I tried taking the bolts out ONE AT A TIME. This worked fairly well. I also used one of my Snap-on alignment bars to get the holes lines back up. Seemed to be more of an issue on the high side. I will take some better pics later of the mounts with the saddlebags and sissy bar off so you can see how it all looks installed. This will help those who try this in the future, I'm sure.

As far as a patch goes . . . Anyone who does this probably deserves one. It is a PITA job. I kinda liked it though. A challenge. Me against Harley. I won!
Steve

sifularson 08-22-2007 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: sifularson

ORIGINAL: s8norr

-Nick
It took me 3 hours. That does not count the time reading the directions (yes I did). I also used the directions and pictures from this forum for mounting the front kit. (can't find them now. Anyone?). I did not have pictures for the rear kit. The toughest thing is the alignment issue once you take out the bolts. I knew this so I tried taking the bolts out ONE AT A TIME. This worked fairly well. I also used one of my Snap-on alignment bars to get the holes lines back up. Seemed to be more of an issue on the high side. I will take some better pics later of the mounts with the saddlebags and sissy bar off so you can see how it all looks installed. This will help those who try this in the future, I'm sure.

As far as a patch goes . . . Anyone who does this probably deserves one. It is a PITA job. I kinda liked it though. A challenge. Me against Harley. I won!
Steve
[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/BAAFA15B08144C2C98CED43CB334AD4C.jpg[/IMG]

bowhnter7 08-22-2007 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: ClutchCargopa

By the way I agree the bracket should be powder coated or at an extra cost chromed. I am going to disassemble my docking kit this winter and get the bracket plated. I noted my bracket is already rusting and the bike has never been in the rain. The rust is coming from washing down the bike.
This is what I am going to do.

gordon188 08-22-2007 11:34 AM

I am getting ready to install my docking hardware, I don't have any instructions, can you post a pic or two of what it looks like without the seat and bags.

sifularson 08-22-2007 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: gordon188

I am getting ready to install my docking hardware, I don't have any instructions, can you post a pic or two of what it looks like without the seat and bags.
Here are some more pics. PM me if anything isn't clear. Most of the pics are for the right side except for thetemporary antenna mount. You may be able to come up with a better place to mount the antenna. Let me know if you do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/A0BC653E323242F181973F8DDD90611D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/D0D67CFD14ED4DC799253CA6A3A454E1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/8C15D91BA61748A6BE18C326C696F72A.jpg[/IMG]

sifularson 08-22-2007 01:01 PM

Here is how I had to mount the antenna until I get the hidden fairing antenna.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/C55A0AA13E6E413CBE74D2A3F2BD4D4D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/87DB6202361A4F5FB766B14F69FA52C7.jpg[/IMG]

sifularson 08-22-2007 01:05 PM

Here is a pic with both the sissy bar and rack installed. Of course I won't have the rack on except when I am running the tour pak. I'm looking for a used vivid black tour pak. Anyone?????

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/E74FE248D0FB48D8AA9F29C8C0D0E8F4.jpg[/IMG]

sifularson 08-22-2007 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bowhnter7

ORIGINAL: ClutchCargopa

This is what I am going to do.
I agree too. For the price, it should be gold plated. Maybe they will buy back all the extra parts I didn't need. Bolts, washers, spacers . . .all for other models.

Harleypingman 08-22-2007 01:41 PM

Since I use the two-up detachable hardware infrequently and don't care for the "look" of those chrome brackets sticking out the rear of the bike, I modified the mounting and placed the top of the bracketto the exterior of the black bracket. The front edge ofeach chrome bracket had to be ground some to mount on the outside of the black brackets but the brackets now come off and go on quickly now. Here's a little more information on the change:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2074802/tm.htm

HarlyFan 08-22-2007 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Since I use the two-up detachable hardware infrequently and don't care for the "look" of those chrome brackets sticking out the rear of the bike, I modified the mounting and placed the top of the bracketto the exterior of the black bracket. The front edge ofeach chrome bracket had to be ground some to mount on the outside of the black brackets but the brackets now come off and go on quickly now. Here's a little more information on the change:

You have done exactly what I want do you have any pics with the pak on and with it off so I can see the fender area?

HarlyFan 08-22-2007 03:03 PM

Also my other question is what did you do about the antennna since you do not use the Tour Pak very often?

sifularson 08-22-2007 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: HarlyFan

Also my other question is what did you do about the antennna since you do not use the Tour Pak very often?

I'm planning on the hidden antenna inside the fairing. I'll do it when I'm inside the fairing to mount an oil temp guage.

Harleypingman 08-22-2007 04:57 PM

Harlyfan: I have had a powered antenna inside the fairing for a couple of years and prefer it to the alternatives: whip, J&M, etc. Whatever reduced reception I may experience (and I don't knowthat I do) I accept because I prefer notto have the antenna on the back of the bike. If you want to keep the rear mounted antenna, HD offers an antenna relocation kit (like the SG/RG uses without a tour pak); then you just move the antenna cable and antennafrom the tour pak to the lower bracket when the box is off the bike.

I'll take some pics of the bike without the brackets (although my '04 EG police model has the same fender/facia of a Street Glide which you have probably seen many times without the brackets installed. I will also post pics of the chrome brackets showing the bracket after the material was ground offto fit outside the black bracket.

cglofland 08-22-2007 06:40 PM

I also have the power antenna inside the fairing and haven't noticed in drop in reception. Took me about 4 hours for the docking kits, I removed the bottom bolts holding the mufflers to the bracket and alignment was a snap, and used a jack to re-attach the mufflers.

Harleypingman 08-22-2007 06:50 PM

Sif and Harlyfan: I edited the linked thread in my original post above to include pics of the modified chrome brackets with a tape measure in the shots to give you an idea of how much material to remove if you were considering this change.

sifularson 08-23-2007 02:49 PM

Sif and Harlyfan: I edited the linked thread in my original post above to include pics of the modified chrome brackets with a tape measure in the shots to give you an idea of how much material to remove if you were considering this change.
Thanks for the pics. It became instantly clear when I saw them. I must be thick.
I may do the same thing since I won't be using the tourpak very often. On the other hand, how do you deal with the alignment issue when the bolts are removed. I know that this was the biggest issue when I installed the rear kit. The fender and brackets shift and it makes it hell to get the bolts back in.
Steve

Harleypingman 08-23-2007 04:37 PM

The alignment problem when installing the two top bolts for the chrome bracket interior to the black bracket is not nearly as difficult with the chrome bracket on the outside of the bracket. I don't have a design/engineering explanation for this phenomena, and perhaps I'm just lucky. But I believe the black bracket simply lines up better with the chrome bracket on its outside than on its inside.

Also, I now put a piece of 2"X4" under the kickstand (with the bike on level pavement of course) to stand the bike more upright; otherwise, it's a pita to do the left side because it's just more difficult to get low and line up the holes for the bolts.

Smitty 08-25-2007 05:12 PM

RE: Installing forward and rear detachable docking kits

I just received the Front Detachable Docking Kit today. I already had the Rear Docking Kit installed for my tour pak. After seperating all the hardware and preparing my bike for the fun ahead, I could not find any sissy bar brackets(Item "K")and apparently I need (2) of them.The instructions say it is a bracket from luggage rack or sissy bar upright kit. Was there another kit besides 53803-6 and 53804-06 that I should have ordered for this install or should it have come withthe Front Docking Kit hardware?

Harleypingman 08-25-2007 05:23 PM

Smitty: No, you bought the only hardware kits HD offers, at least according to the '08 P&A catalog, for the detachable sissybar/solo rack and two-up rack.

Check the parts list/break-out on the instruction sheet with the sissy bar/solo kit; it should list all of the parts and their quantities included in the kit.

Smitty 08-25-2007 05:45 PM

The instructions show Item K (sissy bar brackets) asparts in the kit so apparently they were not included like they should have been.I discovered thisafter I put the bike up on a jack and removed the seat and saddlebags.How frustrating. [sm=headbang.gif] I ordered the kit from Zanotti's so hopefully they'll make it right and send me the missing parts. Unfortunately I will not have the passenger sissy bar on for a ride this weekend like I intended. Time to put the bike back together andattempt this projectanother day. [sm=sigh.gif]

gpainter 08-25-2007 05:56 PM

I spent about 4 hours over two days fiddling with the parts and instructions. I kept thinking, "I know I can do this. I'll just read the instructions again." Truth is, the instructions are not only not helpful, they're counterproductive. Just take a look at the pictures in the instructions (or better, a friend's bike where they're already installed.) I did finally throw away the instructions and everything went better after that. And yes, you have lots of washers and bolts left over.

My patch, please.

Smitty 08-25-2007 10:07 PM

FYI - Ireceived a PM from a forum member whosaid the brackets (Item K) mentioned in the instructions actually come with the detachable sissy bar, which is odd. You would think all hardware required would be in the Front Detachable Kit. I purchased the sissy barupright off Ebay but it did not come with any hardware.Does HD sell those long brackets seperatelyso I can finish this project?

Looks like I'll be sending Zanotti's another emailtelling them to disregard my last message about missing parts.
[sm=oopssign.gif]

biovet62 04-13-2008 04:08 AM

After two days (had to walk away for awhile) I just got the docking kit installed on my 06 RK custom. I did not have bracket K either. Does anyone know if bracket K comes with the Detachable sissy bar upright kit? I am buying a sissy bar (52939-04) and a screamin eagle backrest pad from a guy at work. He has a 2005 SE Electra Glide and never takes of the tourpack. Problem is, he probably has bracket K on his bike if it comes in the sissy bar kit.

Anyone know if you can purchase just bracket K from Harley? I work in S. Korea and will be going to Hawaii next week. I will probably go to the local Harley Dealer and see if they can sell me the brackets.

Thanks,

Don

model1911a 04-13-2008 07:41 AM

I couldn't take it!..........I had mine chromed. Greenish stuff is gone!.................

[IMG]local://upfiles/9388/5CBA317E199F4B08A229D9D59C343027.jpg[/IMG]

lars243 04-25-2008 02:31 AM

Has anyone mounted a tourpak on a 06 street glide? I bought a chopped tourpak. I can't imagine it'd be any different.

I've mounted the hardware to the bottom of the pak. I've still got to mount the LED spoiler, and antennae. Would a rack still fit on the lid? I'd like to have a place to strap rain gear.

I am in a quandry regarding which width spacer to use. All of you guys are soo right. The instructions stink and there are wayyyy too many parts. I had to walk away from it for a few days. I'm now researching.

I like the jack idea. Sears has them on sale I believe for $99.00 (sound familiar? [:@]) Thanks for posting all the pictures. I should be able to get this finished this weekend in time for.....MORE RAIN!! LOL Thanks for the help.

Lars

monkyman 04-25-2008 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL:

Alignment was my problem too, well other than the instructions being wrong from step one. I remember it said to put the lettering to the outside on both plates. That couldn't be done so I knew I was in for a treat.
HAHA, I just installed this kit last week and it's true. You can't install them both with the lettering on the outside. Plus it's like: Install bolt "A" into bracket and frame. OK, Done.Then the next instuction is to "place washer onto bolt "A" in between bracket and frame" [:@]I wish I counted how many times I had to re-read these instructions to try to comprehend the madness behind this. Time it took? I'm not sure, I think I was stuck in some kind of void where time seemed to slow down.:D

gregor 08-31-2008 02:49 PM

What an endeavour to say the least! Took me about 3 hours to do the front kit last night, not including several smoke and swearing breaks! Got it on no problem (after heaving the rear fender up on the left side - that was the worst part of the project!) but my question is about saddlebag alignment. Now that it is on I had a heck of a time getting my bags back on. They are on but I don't feel comfortable now that they look like they are stressed and the lids don't lock into place very well.

I would've thought if you were putting a spacer on the back bag mount there'd be another for up front to at least keep them level. What did anyone do about this with their bags? Mine's is a 2005 FLHRI. Thanks!

Gregor

jcass29 10-13-2011 09:18 PM

for some reason i cant veiw the photos if someone could repost them or email them to me please. jcass29@yahoo.com i got a new to me 2000 rkc and it has the detachable back rest /sissy bar for the passenger and the hardware but no instructions .
thanks

caltransboy 12-20-2012 09:30 PM

Do you still have the pics of the install of front sissy bar and rear tour pac mounts?
The picture files do not lode for me on the forum. Thanks Rob Larson

Robb2008 08-27-2017 08:27 PM

Sissy bar docking kit

Can anybody tell me for a 2008 Road Glide I can't find a docking kit for the sissy bar and tour pack the four point system for an 2008 does anybody have a link everyone is showing newer bikes only

skratch 08-27-2017 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this should help you out some.