Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could cause fairing mounted mirrors to vibrate after 1K service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:41 PM
My427stang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could cause fairing mounted mirrors to vibrate after 1K service?

My mirrors arent loose, and I checked my front tire pressure, its 36 psi, but they were usable before the service and not after

I plan to bring it in as the fuel gauge is all fogged up too, but could they have assembled something incorrectly during the 1K service? I am afraid to let these guys touch the bike again, it was perfect pre-1K

This is the dealer who broke my windshield and overtightened all the windshield screws to the point it looked like it would break the fairing, so nothing surprises me

However, in 3 months, between the 9 inch Harley w/s being right in my line of vision (they replaced my Fastaire after they broke it with one of their own, unfortunately it is too tall for me) and the mirrors, I consider the bike unrideable and wondering if anyone had an idea where to start, I have literally put 100 miles on in three months because it has me disgusted. Today I put the original w/s on it so I can at least ride it, but its such a shame that perfectly clear mirrors now are almost unusable

I will order another Fastaire w/s but sort of at a loss of why all of a sudden the foggy fuel gauge and fairing issues

Basically if it helps describe it, I expected to see the front tire at 100psi, since the service it seems as if the front end hits everything hard and you can feel everything in the road

Thanks in advance

Old 08-26-2007, 04:51 PM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What could cause fairing mounted mirrors to vibrate after 1K service?

I broke a fairing mounting bracket and my mirror on the left side vibrated more than usual. With the bike in neutral, gradually rev the engine until the vibration starts. Then, put your hand on different parts of the fairing until it stops. This is how I identified my problem. Hope it helps.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:05 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What could cause fairing mounted mirrors to vibrate after 1K service?

Could they have done the 0903 download that the new bikes get to eliminate some noise in the drive train? It reduces the timing in some areas of the map and that will cause the bike to vibrate more.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:08 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently had to have my fairing mounts repaired. Prior to the fix, I had no mirror vibration. Now, that the mounts are again rigid, I get all sorts of mirror vibration.

I am gonna go back inside of the fairing, and put some rubber spacers between the mounts and the inner fairing, hopefully to absorb some of the vibration.

Could it be they tightened your fairing mounts?

Old 08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech2
Tourer

I dunno, but my mirrors on my Street Glide vibrate like hell right around 2000 RPM. My brackets are fine, I checked em when I had to replace the lamp on my fuel gauge.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:22 PM
HarleyDawg
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe they forgot to add the JB Weld to the drain plug............LOL

Old 08-26-2007, 06:29 PM
My427stang
Cruiser

Thanks I am going to order the new windshield and when it comes in pull the fairing apart

There is nothing they would have done for service that changed anything in the forks, is there?

Old 08-26-2007, 07:30 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: My427stang

There is nothing they would have done for service that changed anything in the forks, is there?
Not at the 1000 mile service.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:08 PM
nmontz
Advanced

Stupid question.....did the fairing mirrors vibrate before you put the short windshield back on? I couldn't see out of my mirrors until I got my fast aire 8" windshield. The buffeting was hitting me right at eye level with the 4.5". Didn't matter if I was wearing a helmet or not....it would shake my glasses or helmet enough to make the mirrors almost unuseable over 35 mph. I'm much happier with the 8"...but sometime down the road I'm gonna get a 6.5 clearview with the upper recurve because I sure like the look of a shorter shield. I wonder if your difference in feel is because of the different shields? More wind resistance with the 9.5 they put on causing the front wheel to move around more...and buffeting with the shorter shield causing the unuseable mirrors?

I just took my street glide in for it's 1k service two weeks ago....I now have a fast chirp on acceleration that I didn't have before in 3rd and 4th gears in the 2100-2400 rpm range until the bike warms up. I can't tell if it goes away after about 20 miles or I just can't hear it after 20 miles of reinharts and wind. This is my first harley and I'm still trying to sort out what noises are what. The SG seems to be running better and cooler after switching to synthetic oil though.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:46 PM
My427stang
Cruiser

They didnt vibrate with the stock short wind deflector or the 9 inchfastaire, I just changed it back to the original SG wind deflector, but its raining so no idea, but I really dont expect it to change, since the 1K serviceit feels like it hits hard up front, it doesnt seem like a wind buffet, plus the 9 inch Fastaire and 9.5 HD are little different but not severely

I havent checked the shock pressure, I'll check it too and see what he did, if anything

I am very disappointed, although the bike runs strong, the 1K service was a nightmare with the broken windshield, wet fuel gauge, and crappy ride now

I really expect to find something broken inside the fairing, I got the thing back originally with a broken windshield, w/s only half seated into the fairing, and all the bolts tighted to where I am amazed nothing broke outside and a service guy in a complete panic when I went in there fighting that it "was already broken" while the bike washer told the truth.....

I do all my own work on everything to include body and paint, I only brought it to them because I thought if a warranty issue came up it would be worth it. I was very wrong