Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Fuel Management Devices-Why Bother? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/145794-fuel-management-devices-why-bother.html)

hitone 08-30-2007 10:51 AM

Fuel Management Devices-Why Bother?

I have a bone stock 2007 FLHX. I use Amsoil 20W50 engine oil and Redline Shockproof Heavy Duty Gear Oil and the bike runs great!I believe from all the discussions I've read that unless you are planning on major changes to the breather, exhaust, cams etc that will demand new fuel/air maps,the primary reason for an ECM on a stock motoris to richen the mixtureto cool the engine on very hot days. I believe I have also read that if I add slipon mufflers to improve the quality of the exhaust sound, I do not need to tweak the fuel injection unless I also change the air breather system.
So for all of you that are quite happy with your bike like I am with my 2007 Street Glide except maybe for the need for a better exhaust note, spend your $ on something else.

mistermooster 08-30-2007 10:58 AM

RE: Fuel Management Devices-Why Bother?

ORIGINAL: hitone

I have a bone stock 2007 FLHX. I use Amsoil 20W50 engine oil and Redline Shockproof Heavy Duty Gear Oil and the bike runs great!I believe from all the discussions I've read that unless you are planning on major changes to the breather, exhaust, cams etc that will demand new fuel/air maps,the primary reason for an ECM on a stock motoris to richen the mixtureto cool the engine on very hot days. I believe I have also read that if I add slipon mufflers to improve the quality of the exhaust sound, I do not need to tweak the fuel injection unless I also change the air breather system.
So for all of you that are quite happy with your bike like I am with my 2007 Street Glide except maybe for the need for a better exhaust note, spend your $ on something else.
So, don't buy one.

One main reason for a fuel management device, is to address the lean air/fuel ratio the EPA is forcing us to deal with. My main concern with that isn't the heat I feel on my legs, it's the engine damage that might eventually result from running hot.

dagnabit9 08-30-2007 10:59 AM

Another reason we change things (A/C, exhaust, fuel management, etc.) is for PERFORMANCE! If you've ever taken a stock bagger up a long hill and had cagers going by you in the slow lane, you'll know what I mean..

NICK56 08-30-2007 11:14 AM

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU HITONE!

SoCal_Pappy 08-30-2007 11:24 AM

"Most People" like to see a bit more performance from there bikes and with the HEAT issue on the '07 & '08 - working with a Fuel Management System (or performing a Stage 1) tends to help!

If you're happy with your ride - GREAT - ya get to save some $$$$$

Akitakoi 08-30-2007 11:34 AM

I saw a significant performance increase as well as better gas mileage when I switched to the ThunderMax.:)

The bike just plain runs better andsounds better.

jimbo21165 08-30-2007 11:40 AM

If you are happy now, richen that puppy up a tad, and you'll be ecstatic.....:eek:

iclick 08-30-2007 12:13 PM

The main reasons for fuel-management upgrades is to drop the engine temperature and add performance. Adding just an AC and EFI mod you can realize a big boost in performance, probably the best bang-for-the-buck going. Add mufflers and you have your desired sound plus a bit more performance. For a cost of $500-1000 you can get a bike that doesn't overheat easily and performs much better than stock, and most options are easy installs. I and most others feel it is worth the money.

If you're happy with the heat level and performance you have now, stay with it. Reducing the heat will at least prolong the life of the oil and engine, however, and that's enough for me to make changes. I've tried to keep it rational and retain some leanness in the interest of mileage and clean running, so there's a compromise in there somewhere. With most EFI mods (PCIII, etc.) you can tweak the map to your taste.

You can add only freer-flowing slip-ons and sometimes not require a remap. All slip-ons are not created equal.

hitone 08-30-2007 12:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and sensible comments. I have grown somewhat confused when reading the neverending forum Qs & As about which system and for what!
My performance right now is strong and smooth. The fall and cooler temps are fast approaching here in Ontario Canada so the heat issue re comfort is not a problem. I am saving my $ for some slip on mufflers this winter for next years riding and I will double check if any EFI tweaks are required.
If more performance becomes a priority down the line I will be looking for more torque in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range where I spend my riding time but for now the 90 plus ft lbs of the TC96 still entertains me!

sugarbear 08-30-2007 02:20 PM

Richening the fuel mix helping my bike run cooler was my motivator. We just went thru 13 days of over 100F.[:@]