Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Road King Chrome High Handlebars? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Road King Chrome High Handlebars? Help?

Anyone have these bars? Pros/Cons? Pics? What are the "additional components" required for installation that they're talking about here? I'm 5'11 & feel like I'm "reaching" a bit with the stock bars. Could use another 2-3" inches of height & a bit more pullback.

Part # 56180-08

Fits '08-later FLHR, FLHRC and FLTR models. Does not fit with '08 ABS equipped models, Sidecar-equipped models, Heated Hand Grips, Hydraulic Clutch Kits, Handlebar Mounted Gauges or Road Tech™ Riser Mount Radio kit. All models require separate purchase of additional components for installation.

MSRP US $89.95

Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the reduced reach RK handle bars which I think are basically the same thing. Mine are just like the Herritage Bars except chrome with the ability to internally wire.

I believe the additional compents are the wiring harness extender. I had to extend my wires also, but did it myself.

Check this out, its super helpful.

www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/hbar/hbar.htm

Old 09-29-2008, 12:01 PM
steelhead
Road Master

I can't help you with the '08 moderls but on my '01, they were a very big improvement. No additional parts needed and they were not too bad to put on. Took me maybe 1 1/2 hours but then I also took the time when I had the nacelle apart to rewire my spots so they were on when my highs were. I also had grip heaters to worry about which added a little labor time.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd day owning my 08 Road King I ordered the Road King Police Bars.
Wow, what a difference! Gained a couiple inches height and extra pullback, best move I did.

Going with these also got rid of the uncompfortable "wheel barrell" riding style.

No problems changing them, no new cables, (but I got rid of the stock grips, and you will need 08 grips no matter what bars you go with) and happened to have an old brake line (or clutch cable) around, which helped tremendously with installing the new "throttle by wire". I used the old cable to push the throttle by wire back up through the new bars.
Using a fairly stiff flexible cable will make that job so much easier.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

2nd day owning my 08 Road King I ordered the Road King Police Bars.
Got a part # for these "Police bars"?

Got any pics guys?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
jack49
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cloud09King
Anyone have these bars? Pros/Cons? Pics? What are the "additional components" required for installation that they're talking about here? I'm 5'11 & feel like I'm "reaching" a bit with the stock bars. Could use another 2-3" inches of height & a bit more pullback.
Put those bars on my 06 RK, no extra parts needed,best thing I've
done to the bike,for comfort.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
TNTHarley
Cruiser

+1 on the '08 Police Bars. Way more comfy than the Heritage bars.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Anyone got a part # for these "Police Bars"?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM
TNTHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cloud09King
Anyone got a part # for these "Police Bars"?
Dealer is closed now...I'll get it in the morning. I had ordered Heritage bars so that's what my receipt says. Dealer said I'd like the Police Bars way better so we laid them side by side and they looked like they would do a better job for me than the Heritage so I went with them. Also, they have the dimple in the bend cut out so you don't have to figure out how to get the TBW wires past the bend.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King High Bars: INstall Report

I did a post on the Road King High Bars not long ago. No pics though...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...bars+road+king

I'm posting this so the next poor bastard wanting to know if the Road King High Handle Bar will fit his (her) 02 Road King Standard without cable and line changes, and if its easy. YES, the high bars will fit the 02 FLHRi standard Road King without changing the cables or brake lines and without electrical cable extensions and its easy if you have any mechanical ability (the manual helps). Just dig in and the smoke will clear.It’s not complicated. Wish I had put these on as soon as I bought the bike- they are awesomely comfortable and allow better control in tight turns.

Install Notes:
1. If your sitting on the fence on whether or not to do it, just go buy the goddam things and put em' on.

2. Road King High bars are P/N 55954-00; $49.99 in June 08 from HD dealer.

3 THe HD label attached to the packaging says "Handlebar, Pullback, FLHR "

4. Installed these on an 02 FLHRi&nbsp\\; (not the Custom or the Classic RK).

5. I'm 5' 7" on a good day and the stock bars were killing me in the wrists and elbows (even with a Corbin Close seat).

6. The install was easy, and it was my first time. If you're wondering if you can do it your self, YES.

7. The left (clutch) grip will not come off- its is glued on with boo-koo glue.I tried the tips and tricks (compressed air) but I spent a ****load of time and just put on some flame grips).

8. It took me about 4 hours. About 1 hour was spent looking for screws that got away. Another 30-40 minutes was spent trying to take the stock LH grip off. SHould take you less time.
&nbsp
9. Everything was pulled a little tighter and I had to reform the brake line a little. There is enough slack in everything for the High Bars.

10.The Handle Bar clips from the dealer were only $0.99 so replaced then.

11. I installed a 90 degree grease zerk in head while I had the nacelle apart.

12. Another 30 minutes was spent learning how to adjust the throttle cables correctly- everything is easy when you know how- and I know how now and could do it again in 10 minutes.&nbsp You dont have to remove anything but removing the breather cover gives you a better view (its just 1 screw).

13. Indi mechanic told me how to correctly tighten the riser clamps- [b]tighten rear screws first. Then tighten the front screws to pinch the bars.

14. I ended up with the bars adjusted "higher" or slightly forward of the rake of the forks. I can lean back, feet on highway pegs and its comfortable.

15. Lastly, I did the Cruise Control Backlash adjustment. Know that to press the RESUME, push the switch forward ( I don’t use the cruise much).

Dealer Notes:
1. The HD Parts and Accessories Bible does not include the 02 RK when describing fitment.

2.Then I asked the Dealer Service dude, he said it is because the High Bars came on the 02. This, of course, is bull****.[/size]

3. HD Dealer Service told me that a wire extension kit was required ($69 from HD) which was bull**** too. No wire extension was required. If you have the extra jack lying around, it might make it easier to route the cables and brake line through the throttle side of the nacelle, but you dont need it.

4. An inde mechanic told me the throttle cable was adjusted too tight if the cruise control was bumping off when hitting a bump. He said to give it a little slack. For that, and because he was a good all around dude, he will receive a case of beer.

A good write-up mentioned elsewhere in the HDF is
http://www.bikernet.com/roadkingrepo...Article=122002

So, if you are waffling on whether or not to do it, just go buy the goddam things and put em' on yourself. Even though I didn't find an exact reference to an '02 Road King, thanks goes to every one that gave good info in the many other posts I did read. I can post an "AFTER" pic if anyone is interested.

Attached Thumbnails New Road King Chrome High Handlebars? Help?-road-king-high-bars-3-.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Road King Chrome High Handlebars? Help?