Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra headsets 5 pin vs 7 pin question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 AM
SparkyRKM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra headsets 5 pin vs 7 pin question

I need headsets for my new (used) `02 Ultra. The original H-D headsets seem to have7 pin connectors but athird party replacement I saw is only a5 pin. What's the difference? Also, sinceIreally don't like to wear a helmet,are there any headsets that don't require a helmet or if I have to conceed, will fit a 1/2 helmet? Thanks.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ultra headsets 5 pin vs 7 pin question

They won't work - the 5 vs 7 pin. Ah'm sure John from J&M could fill in the details, but the bottom line is that there are several different generations of audio wiring harnesses - so ya gotta make sure ya buy the one made for YOUR configuration.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:56 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

This adaptor works and it's a pin. You can use ipod type earphones that plug into it. You can listen to your radio and cds. It's 5 pin and works well.
I bought 2. One for my passenger.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerosearch....tic&q=3900

Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SparkyRKM

I need headsets for my new (used) `02 Ultra. The original H-D headsets seem to have7 pin connectors but athird party replacement I saw is only a5 pin. What's the difference? Also, sinceIreally don't like to wear a helmet,are there any headsets that don't require a helmet or if I have to conceed, will fit a 1/2 helmet? Thanks.
These will work with/without Half Helmet

IMC-HSG45-FIVE PIN HELMETLESS HEADSET
IMC five pin helmetless headset with lower cord
Price: $75.00

IMC-HSH40-SEVEN PIN HELMETLESS HEADSET
IMC seven pin helmetless headset kit with cord
Price: $75.00
From here...... http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=82&pg=2

Old 08-31-2007, 08:11 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

SparkyRKM ,,,,,

I will try and keep the explanation simple ,,,,,,

the headset jacks on the bike for ALL harley audio systems built from 1989-2008 are a 7-pin european standard DIN jack ,,,,,,,

5 of the pins used in the jack are for the helmet headset and the other two are reserved for the hand mike ,,,,,,, so that either a headset or hand mike can be plugged into the same jack and all works properly, including the CB PTT from the hand mike ,,,,

HOWEVER ,,, 1989-1997 systems require a dynamic low-impedance mike signal, whereas 1998-2008 systems require the use of a pre-amplified or condensor mike signal from the headset or hand mike ,,,,,

J&M offers the best performing helmet headsets for your Harley system and we do offer a nice package for a shorty-style KBC helmet (complete headset built into the zip-on lower skirt and you can just zip it on/off whenever you want to use it ,, see KBC shorty page at www.jmcorp.com ))) ,,,

we do not offer helmetless headsets as the liability consequenses are high ,,,,,,, have a great weekend ,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Old 08-31-2007, 08:17 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN
we do not offer helmetless headsets as the liability consequenses are high ,,,,,,, have a great weekend ,,,,,

How are the liability consequences any higher on the helmetless headset compared to any other headset?

They all do the same thing, just one doesn't attach to the helmet....????

Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Dougger
Cruiser

John,
If the Harley cable only uses 5 pins, can you make me an adapter or a cord that would be 5 pin on one side and the 7 pin on the other end. I have both the 5 pin helmet set up amd a 7 (8) Harley helmet setup too.
I would like to use one set up for both the Ultra and the Valkyrie.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Warden
Cruiser

I have been looking for the same thing. I have been looking for a 4 pin to 7 pin so I can use a standard cb hand mic on my ultra.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:44 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Bump...... still looking for an answer from you John

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

How are the liability consequences any higher on the helmetless headset compared to any other headset?

They all do the same thing, just one doesn't attach to the helmet....????

Old 09-02-2007, 05:17 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

SteelCityScooter ,,,,,,

I have been in the courtroom more than once, defending J&M from frivilous claims,,,,, ((J&M was found to be 0% at fault by a jury)),,

the guy claimed that he flew 50 feet over a car after t-boning it in the side and when he came down his forearm pushed the J&M boom mike into his eye and damaged it beyond repair ,,,,,,,

when in fact he hit the side of this little car with his Gold Wing and when he slammed forward, he caught his small eyeglasses on the edge of the windsheild, poped the lense out and drove it into his eye socket ,,,,,, then he fell over to the left and hit the ground right next to where his bike lay ,,,,

now just imagine for instance that J&M get's into the helmetless headset business and some guy decides to use one of those without his helmet, gets into an accident, and has severe head injuries, that he can claim were caused by the speakers or mike on a helmetless headset ?!?!?! ,,,,

,,,,, you can ride without a helmet if you want to ,,, this is our country, the land of the free and the home of the brave ,,, where thank GOD we can all make our ownchoices ,,,,,,

but I am not going to put J&M in that kind of a liability position just to sell a few hundred/thousandhelmetless headsets ,,,, just does not make sense ,,,,,

Quick Reply: Ultra headsets 5 pin vs 7 pin question