Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?

They offer a baffle for 50 bucks. Is it a better way to go?
Pete

Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not in my opinion. LOL But, I am biased.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Pilgrim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend, if you haven't put your engine on a dyno you don't really don't know anything about the power it develops, and how it puts it out. If it feels good to you, though, that's all that's necessary, but you can't fool Mother Nature.

What you typically see on a dyno readout is a BIG dip in the power curve about 1,000 RPMs wide somewhere around 2,500 to 3,000 RPM, depending on the cam. Unfortunately, 3,000 RPM ought to be the fat part of the power band, right where you cruise, right where you want to accelerate from.

What drag pipes do is throw power right out the tailpipe, sacrificed for the sake of noise that is going to get all our exhausts strangled, like they're doing in Denver now.

As to "Loud pipes save lives:" Those of us who've been around a few years remember when that showed up as a sticker back in the late '70s or early '80s. Hardly anybody took it seriously; it was just a way of saying "Stick in your a**" to those who wanted everyone to run quiet pipes.

Pilgrim

Old 09-03-2007, 11:48 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, I belive that the drag pipes are not a pipe for performance. And I have been told this, and read this, a hundred times. Like I said, when I am able to really do up my motor, I am sure the pipes will go (I have been eyeing that fatcat 2-1 with a quiet baffle). But for now, I really love my pipes. Mine only set me back $150, and they were one of the first things I did. When you have an idea in your head about how you want your bike to look, you have to go for it. And I have. Sans a jockey shift and a custom paint job, I have my bike right at my minds eye of what I wanted it to look like. So, I am not doubting what you said, as I am sure you have done your homework. All I am saying is, that my bike, with the drag pipes, does not feel a bit different than it did when I had the stock pipes on. Just a lot louder. I have read what is going on in Denver, and other areas, that is why my stock pipes are in my attic. Truth be told, are you sure that any aftermarket pipe is going to pass this regulation if 80db?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is like Pandora's box, with sound being an issue and the desire for more power. It's apparent that power gains don't existed with these pipes, but the sound of raw power does. The reason I even considered these was the option of the baffle and that they were a duel exhaust as well. The price also seemed good. Right now I run the fullsac with an after market muffler and hate the sound and the heat coming out of the left side. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep looking.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Rob2002
Tourer

Won't have to worry about it too long. **** of the right people and there will be laws on the books. (thats a fact)
I like a happy medium but that won't be an option.
Everyone will be running stock pipes and mufflers at some point or dealing with the LEO's.
See many cages with open headers on the street?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Pilgrim
Intermediate

PapaT, despite what I think about the power delivery, and noise, I confess that I run upswept straight fishtails on my chopped 74" FL. Anti-reversion cones help a lot. Along with the magneto and SU carb, they just look right, and that's as valid a reason to use them as any other. http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_reaperebuilt3-done.html

Shoot, if power was what I was after I'd put some firebreathing mill in it, but that's not what this bike is about.

So a guy ought to use whatever trips his trigger, as long as he can get away with it. But we all better keep in mind that new days are coming, and I think you're probably right: no aftermarket pipe now meets the 80db level.

Pilgrim

Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

"Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?"

In a word...

YES

Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is funny how many people came out against straight pipes on here, but I wonder how many that flamed them run the stock exhaust on their bike? Or any exhaust that is actually legal... probably none! Illegal is illegal. Loud is loud. People are just as likely to get upset at your V&H slip-ons as they are at straight pipes. People don't know the difference and they are all illegal for the most part. Honestly, I ran Hookers on my Sporty and they weren't much quieter than my straight pipes. Of course, with the throttle wide open it is a different story but still... If you all say that straight pipes are going to be responsible for stricter laws, you play a part too unless you have a stock (or close to) set up.

The following users liked this post:
HD-Rooter (08-10-2021)
Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
amfa118
Novice

I also have a 2002 RK that has V&H longshots cut down to equal length, they look like drags, but actually have a baffle in them. They are loud, but not that loud. I like the old style look with both seperate pipes coming out the right side.

Be careful out there

Quick Reply: Am I nuts, Straight Pipes on bagger?