Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rear Tire Time For Electraglide standard.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Jakie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rear Tire Time For Electraglide standard.

Hey guys I have a 2002 Electra-glide Stanard. I just realized how bad my back tire is
getting. Now I know why it was so quick to spin in the wet and start to break loose a little.
Starting to be a little more heavier on Ft Brakes if you know what I mean.
Well the question is how big can I go and what is a good all around tire. I can put allot
of miles on every year. I commute and do long trips throughout the year. PA rider so
we have the mixed batch type of weather around here. Sorry for this post I know there
is probably an old post that someone has on the forum somewhere. I appreciate anyones input.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: New Rear Tire Time For Electraglide standard.

you will get every review about every brand. I had metzlers on my valkyries and loved them. I tried them on my Road Glide and did not care for them, I only got 9k on the rear before it was worn. Needless to say I went back to dunlops. But it will be trial by fire for ya. just my 2 cents.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
rlb5857
Cruiser

I just ordered an Dunlop Elite 3 for mine. Am going to give them a try, supposely they will last a few more miles than Dunlop, but some say they don't stick as well. Since I'm not an agressive rider, I would rather have the miles. There are as many opinions on tires as there are for the IDS! Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Jakie
Tourer

Thanks man. Your right. I'll probably wait till after Christmas to have it done.
You know the $$$$$$ Factor. 5 kids at Chritmas can be a little $$$$$. But they are
worth it.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Metzler is the way to go. You have a trade-off with high mileage tires. High milege comes from harder compound. Harder compound means less adhesion. Adhesion is what holds you in the corners and keeps the wheels from locking up under braking. Almost every accident thread I read mentions brakes locking and bike sliding. The Metzlers are stickier, don't follow every groove in the pavement and , as I found out the other day, will squeal on impending lockup under hard braking. I've had my OE Dunlops just lock and slide with no warning and that's ugly when it's the front! You may get a few thousand less miles out of the Metz, but the safetly and handling improvement is well worth it.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

The new Harley endorsed Michelins are now supposed to be in stock. I'm going to try a set on our Ultra.

My second rear Dunlop is right at 10,000 and the tread indicators are just starting to show. The original front has 20,000 and looks like it's good for another 5,000, but I'm going to replace it at the same time this winter.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:36 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

STOCK TIRE SIZE IS THE ONLY RECOMMENED SIZE..
AN MU85 ON THE REAR WILL MAKE CONTACT WITH YOUR BELT AND WEAR THE TIRE WALL AND BELT. IVE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT !
I CALLED HD . HD ONLY RECOMMENDS THE STOCK SIZE TIRE. JUST GET THE DUNLOP, IT'S THE TIRE MADE FOR THE MCY. DUNLOP DID TONS OF RESEARCH TO GET THE RITE TIRE FOR YOUR MCY. WHY USE ANY OTHER .. PLUS ITS WORKS GREAT, WET OR DRY.
35 + YEARS RIDING.. DUNLOPS ARE PERFECT .. ONLY TIRE IDE USE

Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Roadhound
3rd Gear

I have a friend of mine with a 05' Standard and he just replaced his rear tire with a 150 Avon. He really likes it and said you wouldn't believe the handling differences, so when it comes time for me to replace the rear, that is what I am going with.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
beemer737
Tourer

just make sure about size if you opt for metz, I went with the 140 rear, it rubbed, even though they claim it will fit, had to remove the belt guard.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Dunlop D402 Police Version.....

Not a runflat tire.....but the sidewalls are much stronger than civilian tires. Therefore, you can manage to ride when the tire is flat. Have done it before.....

Quick Reply: New Rear Tire Time For Electraglide standard.