Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Michelin Commanders: Initial Impressions (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/162020-michelin-commanders-initial-impressions.html)

WVULTRA 10-22-2007 06:52 PM

Michelin Commanders: Initial Impressions

Finally got a chance to put some initial miles (250) on the new Commanders, and I must say that afterridingabout 200 miles in the WV mountains and 50 solid miles of Interstate and Freeway I'm totally impressed with these new tires! All this was 2-up, and I really pushed the tires through the mountain back roads; even scraping the kickstand/floorboards. And the bike felt like it was on rails. As I mentioned earlier, instead of wheel weights I installed 2 ozs. of Dyna Beads in each tire. And this ride was butter smooth whether riding 30 mph or pushing the big rigs on I77 at 80+mph.

I realize new tires aways feel/handle so much better, but these Commanders have initially given me great handling and smooth, positive feedback. Dunlop claims the D402s are 3-ply polyester with 2 fiberglass belts. These Michelins are 3-ply polyester with 2 aramid belts. Don't know if this is contributing to the exceptional handling, but there is a difference between the two.

Someone mentioned in another thread that the Commanders have a softer sidewall. I seriously doubt it since the tech had a tough time getting the tires to seat on the rim to take that initial blast of inflation. Set wheels/tires out in the afternoon sun, and that seemed to give the sidewalls a bit more flexibility to take initial inflation. Tech claimed in his experiences the Michelins usually had a slightly stiffer sidewall.

Haven't had a chance to ride in the rain yet, and of couse have no idea what kind of mileage I'll get; but if your considering trying the new Michelins, by all means do so. IMO, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My sincere thanks to Shovelhead Bob for convincing me to try the Michelins.[sm=goodidea.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Taterdog 10-22-2007 07:47 PM

RE: Michelin Commanders: Initial Impressions

Okay, okay, so get out and ride already! We need to know how far you get on a set of these babies. Also, go find a thunderstorm and ride for a few hundred miles so we'll know how they handle in the rain, too. Don't mean to be inpatient, but you're burning daylight and I'm going to need new tires soon! ;)

MNPGRider 10-22-2007 07:48 PM

Thanks for the initial report. Do us all a favor and ride like hell for the next couple of weeks and see if the rear lasts longer than 10,000 miles and report back....:D

I'm due for tires and am going to try the Michelins. I had Elite III's on my Venture Royale and never got less than 16,000 on the rear. 10K stinks on these stock Harley Dunlops.

MNPGRider 10-22-2007 07:48 PM

Damn, sniped by tatordog! :D

WVULTRA 10-22-2007 07:54 PM

Tater:

Not really fond of riding in the t-storms, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing how these Commanders do in good rain. Heading to the Smokys this weekend, and "if" I get caught in the rain I'll be sure and report back.

;)

Ripp 10-22-2007 07:56 PM

Thanks for the post I have been looking for info on the commanders. Aim debating between them and 880 metzeler.

WVULTRA 10-22-2007 07:59 PM

MNPG:

Working full time, I don't think 10k will be obtainable anytime soon; especially in a couple of weeks! ;)

Sorry, but if I get 10k out of the rear tire on an Ultra I'm totally satisfied!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

bigscooter 10-22-2007 08:01 PM

Think I'm going to give the Michelins a try after I wear the Dunlops out. I have a buddy that has been running them for about 7000 miles and really likes them. Thanks for the report.

Rick51 10-22-2007 08:35 PM

I have 6600 on my orignal Dunlops ( Ultra ) and they need replaced very soon. I'll have to look at the Michelins.

Mikind7 10-22-2007 08:43 PM

I was also thinkin Michelins. But how do they look? Anyone with pics?