Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chubby's on RK Custom

Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
mlawrenc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chubby's on RK Custom

ok guys - I am having a hell of a time deciding which handlebars to go with, I have a 2007 FLHRS and have narrowed it down to either the W0550 (beach bars), W0518's, or the W0508's. I really like the look of the beach bars, but I am not sure how comfortable they will be on long rides. Anyone have them on your road king and love or hate them..? Are they difficult in slow speed maneuvers, do you have to watch hitting the tank at allon sharp turns etc. As far as the 518's and 508's - anyone have those bars and love or hate them..? I am 5'10" and have a Mustang seat if that makes any difference on how the bars might fit. Thanks in advance for any feedback on the different bars.

Marcus

Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: chubby's on RK Custom

I have the 518's and a mustang seat. At first it was a little odd at slow speeds but it never hit the tank. After about 200-300 miles it felt like I was born with'em. I love them. Have a buddy with the heritage bars try my bike out and he is now trying to get his own (wife isn't convinced he needs them). Another friend has stock bars and is looking at the 518's. I like the 518's better than the 508's , haven't ridden a lot on 508's but when I did it felt like I had ahold of wheel barrow handles instead of a Road King. JMHO

Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious why your looking at the Chubby's over the stock beach bars that came with the bike? Is there a considerable difference between the bars to justify the expense? I found my stock beach bars are very comfortable and can ride for hours withno hand fatigue.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 PM
rkcrwlr
Tourer

Check for interference with the customs little wind deflector on the bar clamp cover. I was told that the 1.25 bars interfer with it.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 PM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

how bout 16 inch ape hangers

Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the 508's on my Road King Classic, and they had a bit too much pullback for me and the grip angle was a little too "wheelbarrow" compared to the stock bars. I got used to them, but always felt like I made a mistake in getting them. They were a bit clumsy in extreme low-speed cornering because my hands would hit my thighs if I turned the handlebars all the way to the locks. I am 5'11" tall, and I think Wild 1 recommends the 508's for folks that are shorter than I am.

But they sure looked classy!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have WO508's on my '01 RKC - while the Put on the WO518's
I like the way my wrists set better on the WO518's
Also have there Mini Apes on my '07 Road Glide

Wild 1's make some nice bars - have used them on a lot of my Putts & if lucky you can pick-up a blem for about 50% off and normally you'll never know its there...

Old 11-15-2007, 08:28 PM
fishafly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rkcrwlr

Check for interference with the customs little wind deflector on the bar clamp cover. I was told that the 1.25 bars interfer with it.
Not true... 1.25's fit no problem... the wind deflector is above the risers...

Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Rico450r
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mlawrenc

ok guys - I am having a hell of a time deciding which handlebars to go with, I have a 2007 FLHRS and have narrowed it down to either the W0550 (beach bars), W0518's, or the W0508's. I really like the look of the beach bars, but I am not sure how comfortable they will be on long rides. Anyone have them on your road king and love or hate them..? Are they difficult in slow speed maneuvers, do you have to watch hitting the tank at allon sharp turns etc. As far as the 518's and 508's - anyone have those bars and love or hate them..? I am 5'10" and have a Mustang seat if that makes any difference on how the bars might fit. Thanks in advance for any feedback on the different bars.

Marcus
Had the same problem deciding. I ended up with the reduce reach bars made for the RK custom. I have to reach a little more than the stock but my hands are in a normal position instead of that wheel barrow grip(hated that). One thing about the reduce reach is you don't have to change your cables. And the electric wiring is inside the bars now. Cleans it up real nice. I feel very comfortable on the bike now and feel like I have more control at lower speeds too. Good luck
Reduce reach bars $50
Dealer install 2 hours $150 =
Total = $200
Rico

Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my apes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chubby's on RK Custom