Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New seat is killing my back!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New seat is killing my back!

4 days ago and 500 miles ago I switched from the stock seat on 05 RK Custom to the Comfort Stitch Seat for the Road King. 51157-04A

The wife loves the cushy 16" pillion.

However the riders seat seems to have 1.5 inches of air between the vinyl and where the foam starts! This results in me sliding forward and having back of the seat pocket pushing into my back and most of the weight on my thighs instead of my butt.

I have gone to 3 different HD dealers and none of them have the seat in stock to ascertain whether the seat I got is defective or if this is how it is by design.

Does anyone else have this seat? If so, is what I am describing normal?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: New seat is killing my back!

Its normal. The shape of the seats in the area your talking about also is incorrect but its a easy fix

Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mississippi Bagger:

BadX who replied to your post is the owner of Mean City Cycles, one of the sponsers on this site. He can modify your seat so that you will be comfortable and the cost is very reasonable.

I have no interest in his company, just a satisfied customer.

You can find his website by clicking on Mean City Cycles in the first column under "Support our Sponsors" at the top of the forum page.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM
wishbonecg
Cruiser

[:@]

Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
pab
Tourer

Mustang seat with a back rest for the rideris the answer, or HD seat with Mustang back rest.. I've had them on various HDs, and@ this time I'm using the HD saddle that came on my 07 EG Classic (my wife loves her portion same as your wife) with the Mustang back rest for me. It is supprior to the HD backrest. Try it & after a few days if you don't like it, send it back. Good product & great people.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem when to provide the wife with greater comfort on our Softail Standard I replaced the stock seat with the Sundowner. She loved it and it was killin me, like you, it put too much pressure on my thighs. My solution was to trade it in for an EGC which we both love.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Ron H
Cruiser

MeanCityCycles did my stock seat, and I recommend them highly. Give Alan (BadX) a call -- he'll fix that uncomfortable seat at a price a heck of lot less than buying a Mustang or other seat.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 PM
mountian man
Cruiser

Just took my stock RK custom seat to Meancity today,Man, very fast I'll pick it up Friday,I've heard a lot about this Business and after talking to him,Very knowledgeable and quick to.Can't wait

Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM
pab
Tourer

Try the rider bask rest route. Don't know how old you are, but with age your lower bask needs support & over a long ride you tend to slump, especially if you are over 50 years old, or if you are over-weight, and slumping causes back pain. But, stay away from HD back rests. Mustang back rests work best. I know because I've tried both. The Mustang adjusts up & down, and it pivots just enough to fit the curve of your spine. The HD rider back restsadjust fore & aft, but they don't pivot. I'm 60 years old & I can go 500 miles/day with my Mustang back rest with no problems. Before I switched to riding with a back rest my lower back always hurt, no matter how long the ride.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Heard nothing but GOOD THINGS about the work MeanCity Cycles does on seats....
Comfort Stitch Seats seems to add alot of extra cush that compresses when riding...
The only Good Seat Harley makes that I have foud is there SUNDOWNER Deep Bucket and a bit firmer then the Comfort Stitch but also not a wide in the Pass area...

Quick Reply: New seat is killing my back!